• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Mobile Radio Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (BB8330: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I am in the market for a mobile radio to use for GMRS. I am looking for a couple of key things in a radio: One is high power 45 or 50w. I am going to use the most they will let me. (Yes, I read the thread about power vs distance). The other real biggie is being able to change PL tones on the fly without having to reprogram. I am looking at an Icom, and a Yaesu so far. I would rather not have a dual band radio, though. Any thoughts?

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Well, it doesn't quite have the power I want, but as far as functionality is concerned, it is starting to look like the Blackbox UHF Mobile.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Mine is a Spectra A9 (large head) 40 watt radio. I've got a button programmed called MPL (Multiple Private Line) where you can switch the tones. 120 channels minimum capable.

Attachments

• PIC-0235.jpg
    PIC-0235.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 4,763

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Well, it doesn't quite have the power I want, but as far as functionality is concerned, it is starting to look like the Blackbox UHF Mobile.

Hopefully you realize that it's illegal to use the Blackbox radios on GMRS? They are certified for Part 90 only.

Very, very few commercial radios are permitted on GMRS, as few manufacturers care about the market and bother to get their gear certified for Part 95A use.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Hopefully you realize that it's illegal to use the Blackbox radios on GMRS? They are certified for Part 90 only.

Very, very few commercial radios are permitted on GMRS, as few manufacturers care about the market and bother to get their gear certified for Part 95A use.

Great... Another obstacle. So now I have to figure out which radios are part 95A certified.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Great... Another obstacle. So now I have to figure out which radios are part 95A certified.

The kenwood tk805/d is a 45watt uhf 16ch radio which can be prog without a computer and has pl and dpl, AND is part 95 certified.
I have one and I use it every day.
Google it for a pic and more details. :)
n9zas

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Okay.... What about the TK-830? I know it is only 35w, but shoould be a good starter radio.

Possibly,but I'm not familiar with it since I've never had one. However google it,and you'll have more info then you want! :)
I also suggested the 805d because they can be had for $75-150 used,and don't require software to program.
n9zas

SkipSanders

Silent Key
The only way to tell if a unit is GMRS legal is to get the FCC ID number, and check it at the FCC site to see if the grant includes Part 95A. (or just Part 95)

Get the FCC ID, and use this page to check:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

There are a whole bunch of different 'TK-830' models. Some are Part 95 certified, some are not. For instance, the TK-830G1 is... the G2, G3, and G4 are not.

Last edited:

KX4KDH

Database Admin
It looks like the answer is YES

Parts Grant
450 470 35 0.00025 % 16K0F3E 22,90,95 BD
450 470 35 0.00025 % 11K0F3E 22,90.210,95 BD

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Just remember, unless you are a SAPS, who will really care? Uncle Charlie has a lot more to do than go after someone who is not using a type accepted radio or not. If they did, most every VFD in the nation would be shut down!

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Not a single one of the chinese import radios are legal on GMRS. Nor are most of them legal to import at all.

All moot, if the current proposed rule changes for GMRS go into effect, since NO handheld with a removable antenna, or more than 2 watts ERP (non-removable antenna to have no more gain than a half wave dipole), will be allowed for GMRS. Mobile units still get more power, though.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Your government is 'protecting' you from RF Exposure to high power signals an inch from your head. Of course, that leaves cops as 'who cares', since they use higher powered HT's, oh, and business, etc.

It's mostly a 'we don't want to require manufacturers to do RF Exposure tests' thing... I think.

Of course, it also matches US rules up with Canada, which already has a 2 watt limit.

What's really annoying is it bans ALL 'non-FRS, non-bubblepack, actually well made and with full CTCSS/DCS capabilities' handie-talkies by requiring a fixed, non-removable antenna for all GMRS portables, even if they don't have FRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.