• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola h/t

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8krh

I saw in an ad from a well known sporting good store that they were selling a new h/t from motorola which has the gmrs chnls plus the repeater frequencies in the unit..and no mention of needing a license.
Range said...35 miles<if your on the empire state bulding..I would say>, although it mentioned ideal areas...normal is 2 miles.Model mr356r.

DOCTOR/795

n5ims

The license instruction is probably there, but in the manual (that nobody will actually read). They don't want to scare off any purchasers telling them about getting a license (and giving the anti-gun government any of their information) or especially letting them know the fee for that license.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
85.00 for a GMRS license that gives you several freqs and the ability to use them anywhere in the US is not bad, consider a commercial license is $500+ including the coordinator fees.

n5ims

Agree, but $85.00 consumer radio that (to them anyway) is the same as a $35 FRS (but longer range) radio that needs no license is a big deal. The amount of frequencies (to this non-radio knowledgable consumer) isn't important since the FRS radios come with 1000s of "channels" - that we know are really just different PL tones on the same few frequencies. Their FRS radios not only work in the US but will work all over the world, at least in their minds anyway (not necessarily legally we may understand, however).

canav844

Watch out for Line A

And read the fine print Talkabout® MR356R - Motorola Two-Way Radios - Motorola USA
*** The FCC requires that all operators using GMRS frequencies obtain a radio license before operating their equipment. To obtain the FCC forms, please call 1-800-418-3676 to request Forms 605 and 159, which includes all of the forms and instructions you will need. It is the responsibility of the radio user to read and understand all applicable rules and regulations regarding GMRS.

Now that that's out of the way, glad to see the easily accessible radios becoming repeater capable, if they don't change the rules for GMRS it could mean improved communications for some common activities. Of course the problem is getting people to understand that license (and keeping my Extra ticket is worth that $85 for being all legal on GMRS) until something is done to assure that that happens when it needs to things are going to be frustrating. FRS all you want, but get onto the GMRS stuff, esp the higher power repeaters, and that license is critical IMO and I've little patience for those that ignore it.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
since the repeater freqs are supposedly enabled in these radios already, i wonder how many folks will complain that "chan X does not work on any of my radios". of course as long as they aren't in the first slot 90% of the unlicensed and a small % of the licensed will never even known it since they tend to stick to the defaults anyway.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Actual range, of course, if not using a repeater, is going to be 1/2 to 2 miles in almost all cases. The '35 miles' is ONLY if both ends are on 200 foot hills, with NOTHING in between them. And it's almost completely independent of power. Line of sight is all that matters.

Oh, and before buying it for repeater use, know what repeater(s) you intend to use, and what they require. Many repeaters require CTCSS tones NOT in the 'bubblepack' common 32 tones, or require different CTCSS/DCS tones on transmit and receive, in order to prevent bubblepacks from pirating their machines.

APX6000

U do need a license to use the GMRS Channels. Repeated or not! The instructions tell u how to contact the FCC to request the proper forms to get your license! I just bought a pair & am in the process of getting my license! I am using them on channels 8-14 wich r FRS channels until I get my GMRS license.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.