• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

gmrs with ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
was looking at the yaesu ham radios and saw that they only tx up to 430. is their a ham radio that will tx in the gmrs bands without getting super expensive?

Last edited:

kilowa22

was looking at the yaesu ham radios and saw that they only tx up to 430. is their a ham radio that will tx in the gmrs bands without getting super expensive?

You can buy a 144/440 MHz ham radio and have it modified to transmit outside of the ham band. Use of the radio is technically illegal in the USA, but as long as you stick with the GMRS bands and keep power levels legal the chance you would be caught is very remote. There are also sellers on eBay that sell FCC certified radios at about $100 that you could have programmed for GMRS. The radios aren't great but would be sufficient for light GMRS needs.

I think you are looking at the commercial radios for sale for firefighters and police there are many second hand solutions to resolve this issue and keep your costs down.

W9NES

This is not legal and not type fcc accepted.This is a good way for you to lose your Ham Radio License.If you are going to buy a radio to use on GMRS buy a seperate radio like I did and you will not have any problems using single radios.

W2NJS

Yaesu HT frequency coverage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoever told you this is dead wrong. The ham band is 420 to 450 mHz and the Yaesu ham portables, such as the FT-60R, cover up to 450 mHz in standard configuration, meaning how they come out of the box.

As was stated above, you can modify most ham HTs to work on 462 mHz but it is illegal to do so, regardless of whether you want to use it for public service or GMRS.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Ya'll know that California doesn't operate under the same rules as the rest of the US of A:roll::roll::roll:
Larry
Oh, and it is very illegal to operate a ham radio not in the ham bands. Yes, it is done, but it is still wrong.

prcguy

You can get a brand new VHF/UHF dual band Wouxun hand held that will do amateur and commercial frequencies for about $109. That's cheaper than most single band UHF amateur hand helds that are not type accepted for GMRS.
prcguy

SkipSanders

Silent Key
You can get a brand new VHF/UHF dual band Wouxun hand held that will do amateur and commercial frequencies for about $109. That's cheaper than most single band UHF amateur hand helds that are not type accepted for GMRS.
prcguy

The Wouxun is not type accepted for ANY use in the USA, and is illegal to import. Don't take 'it's being sold' for 'it's legal to use.'

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Skip, go to the FCC web site and search the Equipment Authorization Database using the Grantee Code "WVT" to get a list of equipment authorizations that Wouxon has received. The KG-UVD1P has an FCC Equipment Authorization Grant for operation in the VHF and UHF bands under Part 90 (not Part 95, however).

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"The Wouxun is not type accepted for ANY use in the USA, and is illegal to import."

That being the case why are so many out there? (giggle)

"The KG-UVD1P has an FCC Equipment Authorization Grant for operation in the VHF and UHF bands under Part 90 (not Part 95, however)."

I could have sworn Part 95 covers CB (personal radio services) and Amateur Radio under Part 97 but I could be mistaken? (another giggle) Moving right along, you've raised the question of then why are Amateur Radio suppliers selling them hand over fist and they're showing up in the hands of hams everywhere in the US?

Something's wrong with this picture only as yet I haven't figured out what.

"Thank You W9RXR Enough Said!!!!"

Yeah, but the debate rages on as usual. (;->)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
FCC Part 90 covers the Land Mobile Radio service (public safety, business, etc.), Part 95 covers Citizens Band and GMRS, and Part 97 covers the Amateur Radio service. FCC Equipment Authorization is required for Part 90 and Part 95. Except for certain external RF power amplifiers, FCC Equipment Authorization is not required for equipment operating in the Amateur Radio Service. Many pieces of equipment marketed for the amateur radio service do have FCC Equipment Authorization...as Part 15 scanning receivers.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
I have seen the Wauxang radios used, and for the price they are pretty nice actually. we had this one programmed anywhere from the high 300MHZ up to 490ish. They are used in the GMRS range and are very clean radios. IDK why everyone is so worried about a certain radio being allowed in GMRS or ham. Obviously if you are not licensed for one you should stay out... but equipment regulations is a joke (to and extent)

W9NES

Just for the record the Ham Radio 440Mhz band is 440.000Mhz-446.000Mhz.You are better off buying a Type accpted FCC radio to use on GMRS or on the Ham Radio Bands.The fcc has been "Enforcing this rule and if you are caught using a modified radio to go out of band the radio will be taken away from you and "Destoyed" in front of you.Please feel free to read about Type accepted radios from the FCC web site.As far as the OP from California.California is a state in the US and you are under the same rules and regulations that the rest of us fall under.Indiana is a State in the us and we are no different from California along with the rest of the United States Of America.Read the FCC rules and Regulations.It is not worth loosing your Ham Radio License or a GMRS License in which I have both to a radio that is not "Type Accepted".

W2NJS

W9NES wrote:
Just for the record the Ham Radio 440Mhz band is 440.000Mhz-446.000Mhz.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More misinformation, something this Board sometimes provides a lot of. The UHF ham band is 420 to 450 mHz, and you can look it up in the Repeater Directory, or your License Manual, or several other reliable sources. I belong to a repeater group whose transmit frequency is 449.975 mHz, and I also use some of the system's control channels which are between 420 and 421 mhz. Let's all try not to misinform people who pick up their basic information from the threads on this Board.

W9NES

W2NJS, Sorry but let's not tell others wrong infomation. Yes but the USEABLE part of the band for Voice Communications is from 442.000-445.000*Repeater inputs and outputs* and 445.000-447.000*Shared by aux and control links,repeaters and simplex*Local option**420.000 -426.00 is for ATV repeater or simplex with 421.25Mhz video carrier, control links and experimental* You cannot use voice and use the freqs of 420 to 421 as Voice Repeaters*Direct from THE ARRL REPEATER DIRECTORY 2009-2010.*Page 39 tells the use of the 420-450Mhz Band* Look it up!!!!! *THE ARRL IS RIGHT" This is the reason why Hams buy the ARRL Repeater Directory Book that comes out every year*

Last edited:

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
You can use any of the UHF ham frequencies for any purpose. The ARRL sets recommendations, not rules. They have no enforcement power. While it is considered proper to adhere to their recommendations, you do not have to do so. You do have to abide by Part 97 which BTW is the law.
FYI I use a repeater system that also uses 444.975/449.975. Just need to be sure your rig is sufficiently tight so as not to cause spurious radiation into the business band (a legal requirement in Part 97). Here is a link to Part 97 2000 CFR Title 47, Volume 2

Doc/W4EMS

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"This is the reason why Hams buy the ARRL Repeater Directory Book that comes out every year*"

Wouldn't it be cheaper (like for free) to download a band plan chart? (;->)

W2NJS

The UHF hamband...like what is it?

W2NJS, Sorry but let's not tell others wrong infomation. Yes but the USEABLE part of the band for Voice Communications is from 442.000-445.000*Repeater inputs and outputs* and 445.000-447.000*Shared by aux and control links,repeaters and simplex*Local option**420.000 -426.00 is for ATV repeater or simplex with 421.25Mhz video carrier, control links and experimental* You cannot use voice and use the freqs of 420 to 421 as Voice Repeaters*Direct from THE ARRL REPEATER DIRECTORY 2009-2010.*Page 39 tells the use of the 420-450Mhz Band* Look it up!!!!! *THE ARRL IS RIGHT" This is the reason why Hams buy the ARRL Repeater Directory Book that comes out every year*

Lighten up, for Pete's sake. You said the band is 440-446 mHz and that's incorrect, that's all. Forget all the crap about band plans, etc. because they vary all over the place all around the United States.

W9NES

Sorry, You are incorrect.The 420-421 Mhz are set aside for ATV Only.The active 440Mhz Ham Repeaters are from 442.000-445.00 for Repater Operations and 446.000 being the National Simplex for 440Mhz. Yes I do buy a ARRL Repeater Directory every year and I have since being licensed in 1992.You do not use the 420-421Mhz freqs for "Repeater Operations".If you are a Ham and you can transmit ATV Amateur Television(Live Video) with a camera and a transmitter.You cannot transmit" voice on these freqs" as you do on a Repeater.I buy a Repeater Directory every year to keep up to date with the "New Repeaters" that are being put on the air.This also helps if you are leaving your home state to go to another state.Would be a great Idea to keep a ARRL Repeater Driectory in your shack by your radio. I do and I would pass this idea on to other Hams to "Keep up to Date"---------------------------------------- Tim DeLong W9NES/GMRS KAF3207/*Monitoring all of Metro Indianapolis/Marion County and all of Central Indiana from my Communications Center"

Status
Not open for further replies.