• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Obtaining old call sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

firetaz834

I at one time had a GMRS license and like a dummy let it expire. I'm curious can I somehow obtain that old call sign for use after paying the appropriate fees.

I've seen the new licensing forms but doesn't seem to allow me to request this. Any thoughts on how to do this, or if it is possible at all. I've done a search and the old call sign has been reissued as of this time.

Thanks in advance.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
i don't think you can. i know you can't for business/public safety licenses, but never tried for a GMRS.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I've done a search and the old call sign has been reissued as of this time.

Not sure about GMRS, but in the amateur service, if the callsign has been reissued, you have to wait 2 full years after the callsign expires to request it. That being said, the GMRS Op who has your old callsign might never let it expire. In the amateur service, if you wanted the callsign of a silent key, and he kicked the bucket 1 day after renewing, you could possibly wait 12 years for that callsign (10 years for renewal, 2 year wait after expiration).

Let us know what you find out about a GMRS licensee looking for a "vanity" callsign (wouldn't it be vanity if you requested it, even though you've had it before, because you let it expire?).

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I wish you could. I would love to get my old CB callsign back - KSI6569. When I looked it up in the FCC database, it's not there.

firetaz834

I at one time had a GMRS license and like a dummy let it expire. I'm curious can I somehow obtain that old call sign for use after paying the appropriate fees.

I've seen the new licensing forms but doesn't seem to allow me to request this. Any thoughts on how to do this, or if it is possible at all. I've done a search and the old call sign has been reissued as of this time.

Thanks in advance.

I thank everyone for the responses but I did notice when reading what everyone was tell me that I had misspoke myself. It the last sentence I meant to say that when checking the FCC database, my old call sign had not be reissued as of this time. I don't know if that changes anything in regards to me getting my old callsign back.

I will have to check into seeing if my old callsign can be obtained as a vanity call sign or if I can request the call sign to be reissued to me. Again, thanks for the responces fo far.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
call them and ask, i doubt you can do it but you may accidently get lucky.

MrBill1

I talked to the FCC on the phone and they had no problem with getting my old call renewed. You ask why? I let my license expire by one week and the FCC was going to charge me $375.00 + $85.00 and I would have to wait up till 6 weeks. I just reapplied for a new license.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
waiver filing fees, and those are NON-refundable even if they don't grant your waiver request. several years ago you had 30 days after expiration to renew a business license. they changed that to require a full re-coordination and relicensing if you went even 1 day past and i i let one of our license slip by. i filed a waiver requesting a renewal and paid over 200.00 for the waiver. they denied it, and we were out the 200.00. i had to turn around and file for a new license and request the same freqs and same location. this went right thru, but of course under a new callsign.

Status
Not open for further replies.