• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

can any of the Wouxun Radios work on MURS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

Check transmit frequency range the specifications.
If the radio transmits 136-174 MHz it will work on MURS.
Some Wouxun models only transmit on the 2 meter amateur band 144-148 MHz.

None of the Wouxun radios are certified for Part 95 so legally you cannot use them on MURS or GMRS.

gm991

Check transmit frequency range the specifications.
If the radio transmits 136-174 MHz it will work on MURS.
Some Wouxun models only transmit on the 2 meter amateur band 144-148 MHz.

None of the Wouxun radios are certified for Part 95 so legally you cannot use them on MURS or GMRS.

thanks, yeah I know they are not part 95 legal, just wondering, in a SHTF scenario if my wouxun kg-uv3d could do it.
Specs say tx. 144-148 rx 136-174

thanks

nd5y

MURS frequencies are in the 151-154 range.
It will not transmit on MURS unless you have the software to unlock it, but if you are using it on GMRS you probably already did that.

gm991

MURS frequencies are in the 151-154 range.
It will not transmit on MURS unless you have the software to unlock it, but if you are using it on GMRS you probably already did that.

gmrs is not legal either on these radios that I knew, just wondering incase of a SHTF type thing...:)

In a hypothetical SHTF type thing I wonder how far a radio with 5 watts would be able to talk to another 5 watt radio on the MURS freq.

Last edited:

nd5y

In a hypothetical SHTF type thing I wonder how far a radio with 5 watts would be able to talk to another 5 watt radio on the MURS freq.

There is no good anwser to that because there are too many variables that affect radio range. It depends on your surroundings, terrain, type of antennas used, operator skill and other things. Using VHF or UHF hand held radios with typical stock antennas and .5 to 5 watts your range should be anywhere from several hundred feet to 20 miles or more.

gm991

There is no good anwser to that because there are too many variables that affect radio range. It depends on your surroundings, terrain, type of antennas used, operator skill and other things. Using VHF or UHF hand held radios with typical stock antennas and .5 to 5 watts your range should be anywhere from several hundred feet to 20 miles or more.

Hypothetically wouldn't the murs be able to go farther outdoors with 5 watts then the gmrs, because of the VHF doing better against trees and hills...etc (thats what I have read about vhf) then the uhf gmrs on 5 watts?

Last edited:

W2NJS

People continually ask about HT radio range. The post above by ND5Y summarizes the best answer to the question and should probably be made a sticky on the Board. THERE IS NO HARD AND FAST ANSWER TO THE QUESTION. There are too many variables involved.

gm991

People continually ask about HT radio range. The post above by ND5Y summarizes the best answer to the question and should probably be made a sticky on the Board. THERE IS NO HARD AND FAST ANSWER TO THE QUESTION. There are too many variables involved.

I understand.
Just chatting about something (two-ways) we are all interested in is all...:):)

nd5y

Hypothetically wouldn't the murs be able to go farther outdoors with 5 watts then the gmrs, because of the VHF doing better against trees and hills...etc (thats what I have read about vhf) then the uhf gmrs on 5 watts?

It depends on your surroundings. Sometimes UHF might be better. Sometimes VHF might be better. Using hand helds there is generally not that much difference between 150 and 450 MHz.

ipfd320

Banned
this model-KG-UVD1P does comply with fcc regs 47cfr part 2 (j) / ansi and ieee c95.1-1992 / icnirp 1998 exposure guide lines...and complies with fcc part 90 with directives 1995/5/ec compliances...it will do the murs freqs...ii have this dual band model and love it

N4KVE

In my personal experience between 2 dual band HT's on simplex, at 2 miles apart, switching between VHF, & UHF, VHF worked better. Both radios never moved while switching between VHF, & UHF. One radio was at a 3rd story window, & one was at ground level. GARY N4KVE

thomast77

Just wondering if any Wouxun's will work on MURS?

thanks

as others have mentioned it is illegal, But for a SHTF scenario it will work. I have the MURS, GMRS and FRS frequencies programmed in my Wouxun. Other than testing to make sure it works, I do not use this radio on those frequencies. I just like to have the capability in case of emergencies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
as others have mentioned it is illegal, But for a SHTF scenario it will work. I have the MURS, GMRS and FRS frequencies programmed in my Wouxun. Other than testing to make sure it works, I do not use this radio on those frequencies. I just like to have the capability in case of emergencies.

The Wouxun dual-band portables are Part 90 approved however fwiw. A very convenient fact for hams who are also emergency responders...

Last edited:

gm991

this model-KG-UVD1P does comply with fcc regs 47cfr part 2 (j) / ansi and ieee c95.1-1992 / icnirp 1998 exposure guide lines...and complies with fcc part 90 with directives 1995/5/ec compliances...it will do the murs freqs...ii have this dual band model and love it

So am I reading this right that the KG-UVD1P can be used?

nd5y

So am I reading this right that the KG-UVD1P can be used?

You don't seem to understand.
The KG-UVD1P, KG-UV2D, KG-UV3D and KG-UV6D each have various versions with different band splits.
Some of them only transmit in the amateur bands and need to be unlocked.
Some of them will not cover certain frequencies at all.

gm991

You don't seem to understand.
The KG-UVD1P, KG-UV2D, KG-UV3D and KG-UV6D each have various versions with different band splits.
Some of them only transmit in the amateur bands and need to be unlocked.
Some of them will not cover certain frequencies at all.

Oh I understand, I own a KG-UVD1P and a KG-UV3D
I was asking if the KG-UVD1P was fcc compliant for murs?
Someone stated an FCC rule above.

Status
Not open for further replies.