• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Well this is certianly interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Lately I've been scanning the GMRS band (in the process of building a repeater and what to hear what freqs are active and which ones are not) For a while I've been coming across some users on 462.7125 with a DPL of 731, doing a little more listening I figure out it is one of the local hospitals Security, now here is the weird thing last I knew the Hospital was using a VHF Trbo system on 155.235. How here is were it gets even stranger, when I hear them talking on FRS/GMRS 7 the 155.235 freq becomes active with Trbo noise. And by listening on FRS 7 you can indeed tell they are using digital radios buy the echoing you hear in the background when you have two radios in close proximity. If I didn't know any better I'd say this is illegal......

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

It may be that they, or perhaps a 3rd party who wants to monitor them when away from home, have an illegal cross-band repeater set-up.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Just this past month several of us tracked down a commercial business repeater using a GMRS frequency. Passed the info to the local FCC field office and within 3 days they were shut down. The FCC field agent indicated their fine would be around $16,000.00. Ouch!

BB

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just this past month several of us tracked down a commercial business repeater using a GMRS frequency. Passed the info to the local FCC field office and within 3 days they were shut down. The FCC field agent indicated their fine would be around $16,000.00. Ouch!

BB

Good job! The Central Ill. Regional Airport here in bloomington has been using 462.625 Mhz/ different pl's from time to time on simplex for the past few years now without being licensed, for their fuel trucks.
I've attempted to chat with them a few times with no luck.

n9zas

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Well I did a little driving around I went to were the link could be and its coming from one of the local radio shops, while the hospital was talking I took the antenna off my HT and long and behold I can still hear them chatting away on the link. Will definitely be contacting the FCC on this. I'm pretty sure the hospital has no clue this is going on .

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Why don't you go to the shop first?

because they are a bunch of morons.... They know what they are doing. They have a habit of selling radios and programming them on frs and gmrs, and even on business band freqs they are not licensed for. And if I went in there and told them they would look at me like I had two heads. This happened once when my agency was on their edac system. There was a problem with their system they proceeded to tell me it was a problem with the radio, so I dropped of the radio and they said they checked the PL on it. Last I knew CTCSS wasn't used on edacs.

8K10F1E

Take a ride through NYC and you'll get used to hearing businesses on GMRS real quick.

n5ims

I'm too lazy to do the math now, but could it be a harmonic?

John

Not likely. If it was harmonic related, the signal would still be digital Turbo, not converted to analog FM.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I really hate to be the one who has to say this...but... why is it your business to go to the FCC?

Are they interfering with anyone? Are they causing a legit user problems?

Yes, I realize it could be illegal, but do you call the Police for every speeder and j-walker you see?

gewecke

Banned
I really hate to be the one who has to say this...but... why is it your business to go to the FCC?

Yes, I realize it could be illegal, but do you call the Police for every speeder and j-walker you see?

This is commonly known as self-policing a band. We hams have done this for decades, and I can see GMRS users doing this too.
Relying on your government to do their job, is a lot like relying on the president not to lie to the American public. :wink:

n9zas

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

For those of us who have the required licenses to operate on different bands yes it is our business. I paid 85 dollars to obtain a gmrs license to operate legally on that band. And any one else who has a license it is our business to call the FCC to report illegal users on a band that we paid money to legally use. And a Radio Shop of all places should follow the rules.

kf5qgf

You know what happened when the first guy pumped 1500 watts onto the Citizen's Band? It didn't get reported, so a few of his buddies did it, and they didn't get reported.... and so on and so on down the line until now, 11 meters is a jumbled mess of noise, whistlers, stations with so much power it threatens to overload your radio. The FCC has turned their back and written the Citizen's Band off, which is why now you see gmrs band opening up, and requiring a license to operate on. If the operators don't police the band then no one will be able to, and it'll turn the frequencies we all cherish into garbage like the CB.

KF5QGF

gunmasternd

i can understand that that radio shop needs to be punished. but really going out of your way to fine people using that band illegally just seems to me you can spend you time doing other stuff.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
i can understand that that radio shop needs to be punished. but really going out of your way to fine people using that band illegally just seems to me you can spend you time doing other stuff.

I wasn't fishing for violators. I was doing a search of the gmrs band being that I plan on putting up a gmrs repeater and wanted to see what freqs are not used, so it was more of something I stumbled on while searching the gmrs band. But regardless I shouldn't have to explain myself.

gewecke

Banned
I wasn't fishing for violators. I was doing a search of the gmrs band being that I plan on putting up a gmrs repeater and wanted to see what freqs are not used, so it was more of something I stumbled on while searching the gmrs band. But regardless I shouldn't have to explain myself.

I agree.

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.