• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FCC and GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Yes they do! Here in my neck of the woods they recently shut down a commercial business that was using GMRS for their business. I believe the fine was $16,000.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Yes they do! Here in my neck of the woods they recently shut down a commercial business that was using GMRS for their business. I believe the fine was $16,000.

Is $16,000 the maximum amount allowable by law? It seems like every time Amateur Radio Newsline talks about an individual or company being fined, it always seems to be sixteen grand. As bad as the government needs money, you'd think they would crank up amount of the fines.

Otto

Only if some meddling ham radio operator reports you, like they did to that poor business that probably had no idea that they where violating the law when they decided that they needed some sort of radio communications for their employees.

I am sure the business owner is so glad he was set straight by the FCC...

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Only if some meddling ham radio operator reports you, like they did to that poor business that probably had no idea that they where violating the law when they decided that they needed some sort of radio communications for their employees.

Ignorance is not a excuse. The instruction booklets that come with the radios tell you that in order to operate on the GMRS channels you need a gmrs license, and business Comms are not allowed on gmrs. If the business needed Comms then they should do the proper research and not go the lazy route. Most of these business out here who operate on murs gmrs or frs get this mentality that whatever channel they use belongs to them. Maybe the local business was told they were operating illegally and they just ignored it. This is why CB is the way it is. I love how you mention meddling ham operators. Not for nothing all of us legal gmrs users had to pay a fee for the license so yes if someone is operating illegally if I give them a heads up letting them know what they are doing is illegal and they ignore then yes the FCC will be called.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

MANY of us meddling ham ops are ALSO gmrs ops as well, keep that in mind! As far as businesses go, if they are going to be communicating using radios then it's THEIR responsibility to KNOW where they are allowed to transmit!;)

n9zas

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Would the FCC simply drop a $16k fine without any warnings? My guess is that plenty of businesses use radios/frequencies they shouldn't be. A visit, or letter in the mail advising of the error should rectify it. Immediate failure to comply has consequences.

If the business was running excessive power, that would probably trigger a fine right off.

Getting a letter in the mail saying you owe $16k for FCC violations without any prior notice...I'm finding difficult to believe. Very difficult.

Meddling hams? I would think that businesses that are licensed to use GMRS would raise a concern first with the FCC, as they would be directly affected by the non-licensed business using the same GMRS frequencies.

Follow the rules, nobody gets hurt. Violate them, repercussions.

K9WG

vagrant

The FCC does not just drop a $16K for violation. If the business was fined by the FCC then it either repeatedly violated the law or ignored the notice sent by the FCC.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Usually letters to cease operation come first. Next, are NAL's notice of liability.
Then come fines! If you receive a NAL then you have indeed got their attention! :(

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
Tired of people thinking they are above the rules!!!

I am a meddling licensed Ham/GMRS operator got a problem with it I am sorry,if you want to operate illegally that is your choice and when you get fined by the FCC you start pointing fingers...I got one finger for you.

The problem with people now days is they do not want to follow any kind of rules,they think nothing applies to them.What are we going to do with these kind of people?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Spd
a68958b1-60ea-2c95.jpg

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

and those "poor businesses" can afford the radios but not the correct part 90 licenses? yeah, just like the dude in the Escalade who is too "poor" to afford the legit tag and insurance, right? :roll:

nevermind those "poor businesses" bootlegging causing interference to licensed users who paid their hard earned money for the license, and spent thousands of dollars of their money on infrastructure like repeaters and base stations, only to have some morons who are too cheap to do it legit step all over them.

so yeah, us "meddling" radio operators will "meddle on". Some of us do it right and understand why these laws are in place to begin with. For those who don't, they pay accordingly.

vest2208

Premium Subscriber
Thinking part of the problem started when manufacturers started making those cheap FRS/GMRS radios that you could just walk in to Walmart & start using. "I bought it off the shelf at Walmart, so how could there be any restrictions"...

SCPD

QRT
Thinking part of the problem started when manufacturers started making those cheap FRS/GMRS radios that you could just walk in to Walmart & start using. "I bought it off the shelf at Walmart, so how could there be any restrictions"...

Vest,
It is true you bought those GMRS radios off the shelf and it says on the package a license is required and people question why and I will tell you why,for the most part the companies who sell those bubble pack toys and please do not fall for the claims of 35 mile range,these companies do not want you to know that these toys are just a small part of GMRS really is.As it stands now GMRS rules allow 50 watt mobile radios, 5 watt hand held radios and the use of base stations along with use of repeaters usually located at a high elevation with many miles of coverage.

Years ago people had morals and respect and tried to do the right thing by following the rules without any problem, the FCC actually enforced the rules and kept the public in check but when the FCC relaxed their enforcement it became a who cares,their not going to bother me world,
What it boils down to is today's generation just plain don't give a damn and have a attitude of "who is it gonna hurt?" The lack of FCC enforcement due to cuts leads to a bunch of radio operators who think they can flaunt the system without repercussions.

When someone calls the FCC and complains about illegal activities on the air waves it may take several complaints for them to investigate but on the other hand if its a easy catch they may jump right on it.I will have to go back and say why enforcement is relaxed..The FCC budget has been cut so thin and lack of agents to enforce most radio service complaints due to other pressing complaints we sometimes have to take a back seat to higher priority situations.

In general I blame the public for loosing what morals they once had and it looks like more have developed a piss poor attitude toward any rule,regulation or law they does not meet the their personal preference,you can lead the horse to water but you can't make them drink,if we all did the right thing this whole world would be a better place but I guess it is human nature to keep the world a screwed up place with the misguided thinking and actions of people who believe its their way or no way............................Its late I am tired if it does not make good sense I will fix it later 73s

zz0468

QRT
Banned

Are you sure it was a meddling ham operator, and not a meddling GMRS licensee frustrated that a business who's eligible under a different service decided to go cheap and use a service not intended for that particular use?

Status
Not open for further replies.