• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My frs mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

I have just installed a frs mobile that I bought a number of years back that was used a couple of times and put back in the box. This is a Radio Shack frs unit that is no longer available from Radio Shack. The unit is 12 volt dc and has a mobile antenna the is a mag mount on my roof and the radio and controls are in the mike.I also have a lot of frs handheld radios including Midland, GE, and others.When I am out in my mobile communications unit I let the radio scan channels 1-14. I have found a lot of road crews that are doing traffic control are also using frs radios. I also have a small simplex Radio Shack repeater that runs on 4 AAA batteries. A lot of hams in my area have frs radios.When I am at a local hamfest I will be setting up my mobile repeater in the local area on one of the frs channels.I have heard a lot of non family use of the frs channels for fast food restaraunts and business in my local area.I also monitor frs channel 1 as this is the non-offical channel for emergency calling.Check out frs in your local area and you will hear a lot of radio traffic in your local area. The frs radio network is a great tool to add to your emergency communications .This way you are allways prepaired for any emergency.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Do you have any pictures of your mobile set up?? I would love to see it!! Make sure you post some antenna shots!!!!

W9NES

KC2OBW, Thanks but no pictures at this time.If you do not have frs or gmrs in your emergency communications plan this would be a great time to add one or both.You never know when you just might save a life.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I have 2 of those Radio Shack FRS mobiles. I haven't used them since my last AZ-to-MT-and-back roadtrip in 2002, though.
ARS, CB, MURS, GMRS and FRS all have their own value for routine and emergency communications. (I have 49MHz and eXRS as well.)

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
How can a FRS radio have a removable antenna? I know you can do that with GMRS radios, but I don't think I have heard of a FRS radio being able to do that.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
How can a FRS radio have a removable antenna?

It didn't! RS FRS mobiles had the radio/antenna all together in a mag mount package. Power, audio, and control wires then fed into the cab. Worked well for mobile FRS and the design retained its certification.

W9NES

Radio Shack FRS mobile that I have has a FRS antenna and radio all together in a 12 volt dc power plug that plugs into a 12 volt dc source.Radio Shack #21-1850. Antenna is a mag mount and can be removed from my roof of my car when not in use.

Freq_n_Hertz

Premium Subscriber
Great unit

I have used one of those and it performed as good as or better than the handheld Motorola & Midland FRS/GMRS radios I have. I did some careful range comparison and the RS unit was nearly always at the top.
I attributed its superior performance to it being mounted externally over a good ground plane as opposed to a handheld inside the cab.

The transceiver is mounted in the case with the antenna and basically operated through a wired remote/microphone.

The difficulty I have with it are the cables are a bit short and you can not disconnect the remote/mic or transciever/base to route the wires through a hole in the chassis (unless the hole is over 3"!).

Great unit, still use it on occasion...

Attachments

• radio-shack-frs-mobile-transceiver-model-21-1850_230689913190.jpg
    radio-shack-frs-mobile-transceiver-model-21-1850_230689913190.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 3,831

W9NES

Freq n hertz,Thanks for the posting of the picture of the rig.That is what I am using as a FRS mobile.Now everyone knows what I have.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
There is a guy on eBay that has 5 for sale new in box

Redneck0410

I saw at least one other listing for the radio as well. Everyone looking to get around $100 each.

If I didn't already have 3 three Talkabouts, I would consider getting one.

If you pay 100 bucks for just one of those FRS radios, you sir, are a fool. They were only like 35 bucks brand new when RS sold them. Not trying to bash you, but that would be highway robbery of the highest order.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
If you pay 100 bucks for just one of those FRS radios, you sir, are a fool. They were only like 35 bucks brand new when RS sold them. Not trying to bash you, but that would be highway robbery of the highest order.

The operative word was "consider." It would be a neat toy, but not for that kind of money. I'd be watching Ebay for one to come up on an auction with a real low starting price, probably under $5, if I needed an FRS unit.

But I've got three older Talkabouts that still work fine for what little use we give them. Impossible to justify any more FRS stuff, especially since it is used so little in our area. Even GMRS is quiet around here.

Redneck0410

I was not trying to offend you or question your decision making, so please don't interperet it as such. I'd hate to see a fellow member get suckered by some of the unsavory folks that seem to be populating Ebay nowadays.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I was not trying to offend you or question your decision making, so please don't interperet it as such. I'd hate to see a fellow member get suckered by some of the unsavory folks that seem to be populating Ebay nowadays.

No offense taken. I've been on Ebay for over 10 years now and have pretty much got that particular can of worms all figured out.

Redneck0410

Back on topic now, I had one of those units when they came out way back when and it did pretty good even in an urban setting such as where I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.