RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk_165 View Post
I know there's some replacement/refurb kits on eBay, but like you said, not many, because the HT1000s are starting to go outdated.

See my main issue is price. I'm not in the market to spend a lot of money on something that I'm not going to be depending on or using all the time... I've found some pretty good deals but I'm still peeking around.

There's some beat up XTS 3000s on greedbay right now for... last I checked... and they may be completely gone... $50
Counterfeit Chinese housings ("refurb kits") are readily available as are the real thing if budget permits.
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2013, 1:27 PM

Didn't see any... There's two 800 band ones that are 16 and 36, but 6 days left, so they'll most likely soar.

And I assume those are harder to program and will need to be updated periodically, right?
Old 03-09-2013, 12:16 AM

Sorry for the bump!

Looking at another HT1000, and will get it custom programmed. About the GMRS and Talkabout capability - I discovered that there is an "off" setting for their privacy codes. Is it possible to leave the PL blank on the HT's, to make it easier?

Also going to have half of it programmed to monitor local stuff. FD has a DPL listed on the database, but not sure how reliable it is. Have never tested it. If it is even possible, if I left the PL blank on the HT would it still pick up the FD without any problems? I am overreacting a bit on this but just don't want to have to send it back for reprogramming.
Old 03-09-2013, 1:24 AM

Yep, leave the pl/dpl field blank and it does CSQ (Carrier SQuelch). That will let it receive any signal on the frequency. Set up all your radios with carrier squelch only, and you'll hear all traffic.

This is actually a good thing. All to often people will set up a radio with a PL or DPL tone and not think to monitor the frequency before they transmit. The other option, if you can get the others using your radio to do it, is to program the button above or below the PTT button to open the squelch. That way it makes it easy for a user to hit the monitor button before transmitting to make sure the frequency is not in use.
Old 03-09-2013, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Yep, leave the pl/dpl field blank and it does CSQ (Carrier SQuelch). That will let it receive any signal on the frequency. Set up all your radios with carrier squelch only, and you'll hear all traffic.

This is actually a good thing. All to often people will set up a radio with a PL or DPL tone and not think to monitor the frequency before they transmit. The other option, if you can get the others using your radio to do it, is to program the button above or below the PTT button to open the squelch. That way it makes it easy for a user to hit the monitor button before transmitting to make sure the frequency is not in use.
Jeez man, you NEVER fail to answer my questions, lol!

The only problem I see with CSQ on my local FD frequency is that sometimes one of my scanners picks up a bus company, not sure if this would as well if I left it open.
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2013, 2:23 AM

It could. The other possibility is that the scanner, which have notoriously sloppy front ends, is just picking up an image from another frequency. The higher spec HT1000 may not have that issue.

Of course, the bus company being on the same frequency as the fire department would be odd, usually public safety stuff is given enough clearance from other users to prevent interference. Not always, but usually. I'd suggest doing some searches to see if they really are on the same frequency or not.
Old 03-09-2013, 2:29 AM

Yes, the HT1000 also has a much smaller antenna and probably doesn't pick up stuff as far away as the scanner, I haven't picked up that bus company in a while though, probably has to do with weather. Now that I think of it, I don't think my portable scanner has EVER picked it up.

According to some others that also picked up this company, they are supposedly located in Long Island. I will look into it.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 PM

MMcKenna, so basically with a CSQ I would monitor the frequency as I do with my scanner, with no PL?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 AM

Exactly.
On the HT1000 RSS, you can select PL, DPL or CSQ for your RX and TX. Set the RX side to CSQ and you'll hear all the traffic on that frequency, regardless of what PL or DPL the other radios are using.

This is why the radios that call the PL and DPL tones "Privacy Codes" are full of dung. There is NO privacy.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 AM

Makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
One other issue you -might- see is that most of the bubble pack GMRS radios are set to use narrow band (12.5KHz) on both FRS and GMRS channels. The HT-1000's could be set up for wide (25KHz) or narrow. While it will still work, it the HT-1000's might sound a bit distorted on the Talkabouts, and the Talkabouts may sound quite on the HT-1000's...
Since when did this happen? GMRS is not narrowband, so why would they restrict their radios to narrowband output?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:31 PM

Correct, GMRS was not affected by the narrow banding mandate.

The hybrid FRS/GMRS radios are very often narrow band across the board for the pure economics of it. The FRS portion of the radio has to be, FRS has always been narrow. Since some of the channels are shared (7 interstitials) they don't bother to change the deviation. Since it saves money, and in reality that's what its all about, they keep the entire radio narrow.

It is not an FCC rule that they use narrow on GMRS, it's an economics thing. If they can save .25 cents per radio, it adds up over time. The people using these radios don't know the difference anyway, as most of them don't even bother to get licensed, and will never talk to anyone else other than another el-cheapo radio.

You can confirm this by running the FCC ID for one of the hybrid radios through the search tool on the FCC OET page.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 PM

Was actually looking in the FCC database on Friday. I remember seeing some narrowband info in there and I just glossed over it... I think my Midlands might be narrow. I'll have to look again. Its interesting.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 AM

There certainly could be exceptions to what I said, but the ones I've seen are that way.
Old 03-11-2013, 1:31 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default PL tone are not perfect

Quote:
Exactly.
On the HT1000 RSS, you can select PL, DPL or CSQ for your RX and TX. Set the RX side to CSQ and you'll hear all the traffic on that frequency, regardless of what PL or DPL the other radios are using.

This is why the radios that call the PL and DPL tones "Privacy Codes" are full of dung. There is NO privacy.
True and even with PL DECODE enabled, a few words of someone else's conversation will on occasion still "RIDE THRU" the decode despite being a different code. Also don't forget that DPL codes can invert! DPL code 023 inverts to 754 depending on the particular TX RX setup being used.
Old 03-11-2013, 8:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk_165 View Post
Yes, the HT1000 also has a much smaller antenna and probably doesn't pick up stuff as far away as the scanner, I haven't picked up that bus company in a while though, probably has to do with weather. Now that I think of it, I don't think my portable scanner has EVER picked it up.
Actually, the HT1000 should be able to pick up better as its receiver is far more sensitive than a scanner. The point being made by mmckenna was maybe the scanner was picking up an image of the bus company's channel, not the actual freq, because of how wide-open the scanner is. The HT1000 being more selective will be far better at listening to just the frequency and signal its programmed (and properly tuned) for.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 PM

Ah I see what you mean, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4INW View Post
Actually, the HT1000 should be able to pick up better as its receiver is far more sensitive than a scanner. The point being made by mmckenna was maybe the scanner was picking up an image of the bus company's channel, not the actual freq, because of how wide-open the scanner is. The HT1000 being more selective will be far better at listening to just the frequency and signal its programmed (and properly tuned) for.
Yep, thanks for clarifying that.

Scanners are easily overloaded by strong signals. Used to be when everyone had a pager, the high power paging transmitters tended to wash out the front end of scanners if you were within a few miles of one of the transmitters.
Anyway, scanners work well for what they are, casual listening devices. Stepping up to a receiver that is designed to only work in one portion of the band allows the manufacturer to build in filtering to block out things that shouldn't be there. As KG4INW was saying, the HT-1000 will likely blow your scanner out of the water. What you'll loose in capability you'll make up in clean received signal.
Some amateur radio transceivers, specifically VHF, UHF, and dual band units, will suffer from the same issues. They have "extended" receive, and this requires them having pretty loose front ends.
Old 03-12-2013, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4INW View Post
Not to mention that a bus company and a Fire Department should not be co-channel users on the same frequency. (Public safety licensees and commercial licensees pick frequencies from different pools.)
Old 03-12-2013, 8:59 PM

Different states from what I understand, but still... weird.