• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1000 and GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdscan

Hi,

I'm purchasing a pair of HT1000s on eBay, and have a few questions for you guys. They are both UHF, and are both currently programmed to GMRS frequencies, according to the seller. He tells me that the radios can talk to each other (which I assumed, they're programmed the same way and they're the same radios). The main thing I want to ask you guys is, will these radios be able to work with my Talkabout radios on GMRS? That's one of the main reasons I'm buying them. I'll post if I find any more questions.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
IF they really are programmed for GMRS, then yes, they should talk to another GMRS radio. What will cause you issues is if they have CTCSS or DCS tones enabled on the receive side of the HT-1000's.

One other issue you -might- see is that most of the bubble pack GMRS radios are set to use narrow band (12.5KHz) on both FRS and GMRS channels. The HT-1000's could be set up for wide (25KHz) or narrow. While it will still work, it the HT-1000's might sound a bit distorted on the Talkabouts, and the Talkabouts may sound quite on the HT-1000's.

HT-1000's are good solid radios. Accessories are getting really cheap.
Depending on where you are, you might find it pretty easy to get them reprogrammed. I've got one UHF model that I use on GMRS and 70cm amateur band. I've also got one on VHF.

fdscan

OK, that's good to know! I will ask the seller about CTCSS or DCS tones, even though I'm not entirely sure what they are, lol.

The description says that they are capable of narrowband operation without modification, so I'm not sure if he means that they are programmed or not. I'll have to ask.

That is exactly what I've heard on the HT1000s, that they're probably the best portable Motorola's ever made. That's part of the reason I'm buying them. If I buy them, I'm getting two radios, the batteries, and two chargers. I'm looking into buying some lapel mics, but they're a bit pricey for what they actually are. The mics are like 40-50 bucks, and considering how much I spent on the radios themselves, I don't think it's worth it. I'll keep my eyes peeled though. As for the reprogramming, there aren't many local places that do it, and I'm sure that ones anywhere near me are kind of expensive. I do see eBay ads for that, though. Part of the reason I'm buying these is because they already are loaded with GMRS frequencies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Search bankman2k he is selling speaker mics on ebay, I bought one from him, he has a BIN and a best offer. He is good to dealwith.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
RJK, if you don't mind, where are you located? If you are local to me, I'd be happy to program them for you free of charge.

Unless otherwise stated, you should consider that the batteries you will receive will be used, and may be worn out. Unless they are in really good shape, plan on replacing them.

The big issue I see with the Jedi line of radios (HT-1000, MTS-2000, MT2000, JT2000, etc) is that the antenna connector, where it is soldered to the circuit board, is the weak spot. If the antenna is on tight and nothing wiggles, you are in good shape. Just be careful not to drop the radio, especially on the antenna. Rule #2 is NEVER use the antenna as a handle, never pick up the radio by the antenna. Slap the hand of anyone that does.

There are a lot of used accessories out there if you shop around. If you can afford them, the Motorola brand speaker mics are the best, get those if you can.

The "official" Motorola batteries for these are really expensive. Buy good aftermarket ones. I started purchasing the Honeywell brand batteries for ours, specifically the 2500mah NiMH ones. I could use my radio 2 days between charging at work. They were only $30 bucks or so each.

One good way to keep the radio looking good is to occasionally use a brush to clean the crud out of the crevices. Use a soft rag with a spray or two of Armor-all on it and shine it up, it'll really make it look good.

I think you are going to enjoy those radios. Of all the radios I have at work, including some really high end stuff, I still love my HT-1000.

fdscan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Search bankman2k he is selling speaker mics on ebay, I bought one from him, he has a BIN and a best offer. He is good to dealwith.

I just searched him, no hits. Maybe he doesn't have anything up at the moment?

RJK, if you don't mind, where are you located? If you are local to me, I'd be happy to program them for you free of charge.

Unless otherwise stated, you should consider that the batteries you will receive will be used, and may be worn out. Unless they are in really good shape, plan on replacing them.

The big issue I see with the Jedi line of radios (HT-1000, MTS-2000, MT2000, JT2000, etc) is that the antenna connector, where it is soldered to the circuit board, is the weak spot. If the antenna is on tight and nothing wiggles, you are in good shape. Just be careful not to drop the radio, especially on the antenna. Rule #2 is NEVER use the antenna as a handle, never pick up the radio by the antenna. Slap the hand of anyone that does.

There are a lot of used accessories out there if you shop around. If you can afford them, the Motorola brand speaker mics are the best, get those if you can.

The "official" Motorola batteries for these are really expensive. Buy good aftermarket ones. I started purchasing the Honeywell brand batteries for ours, specifically the 2500mah NiMH ones. I could use my radio 2 days between charging at work. They were only $30 bucks or so each.

One good way to keep the radio looking good is to occasionally use a brush to clean the crud out of the crevices. Use a soft rag with a spray or two of Armor-all on it and shine it up, it'll really make it look good.

I think you are going to enjoy those radios. Of all the radios I have at work, including some really high end stuff, I still love my HT-1000.

I'm located in Connecticut... Programming shouldn't be an issue, but I will definitely let you know if I need it, thanks for the offer! :)

The listing claims that the batteries were tested and should work for some time, but yeah, I do know I'll probably have to replace them at some point.

I didn't know about that antenna weakness! I'll keep it in mind! I know that lots of people have a habit of grabbing them by the antenna.

I know what you mean about the Motorola brand mics... I don't like settling for the cheap-reproduced ones. I noticed a lot of them, and to be honest, they're not all that cheaper than legitimate Motorola ones, so why get them? Not worth the small amount of money you could spend and get a legit product. Honeywell is a good brand, right? I'll keep them in mind.

Lol, I use Armor All on pretty much anything with that finish and it helps a lot.

Yeah like I said, all I've heard about the HT1000 is that they're great! Honestly, the main reason I'm getting these is because I'm fed up with the Talkabouts, I want to take it up a notch.

Thanks for all the info!

rapidcharger

Just say NO to Chinese Ebay batteries. You get what you pay for when it comes to batteries.

Motorola batteries may be more expensive but they come with the best warranty and there's a reason. Some of the aftermarket batts are ok, honeywell, power products etc.. But OEM always seem to be the best.

fdscan

Of course Motorola's the best option, but they're so expensive, and they'll probably discontinue them soon.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Of course Motorola's the best option, but they're so expensive, and they'll probably discontinue them soon.

Yes, Motorola is pretty proud of their stuff. Spending $50 or more on a battery for a non-public safety use is not necessary. Yes, their batteries are really good, absolutely.

fdscan

RJK, here's the link to bankman2k's stuff, so far it's pretty decent in terms of price: bankman2k | eBay

Thanks! I see he's foreign, maybe Canada... Not sure if he ships to the US. The stuff he currently has is a little much for me.

Well unfortunately, the pair of radios I was going to buy got bid up extremely high within a matter of like, a day, so I decided to back out on it.

I'm considering buying a single radio, though... I still have to look and see what's available. Anyone have opinions on CP200s?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

I believe he is in the US

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I see he's foreign, maybe Canada... Not sure if he ships to the US. The stuff he currently has is a little much for me.

I'm considering buying a single radio, though... I still have to look and see what's available. Anyone have opinions on CP200s?

The seller is in Canada I believe.

We use the CP200's and like them a lot. We've got 15 of them in service in our ambulance squad. I also own three of the little brother CP150's. It's a nice solid little radio that is easy to operate.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

I just bought a radio from him. He is in the US. I had to ask him to ship to Canada7

fdscan

The seller is in Canada I believe.

We use the CP200's and like them a lot. We've got 15 of them in service in our ambulance squad. I also own three of the little brother CP150's. It's a nice solid little radio that is easy to operate.

Yeah I see them all over the place, I was considering buying those instead of HT1000s... But I keep leaning towards the HT1000 for some reason. They could take GMRS frequencies, as well as local FD/PD UHF frequencies as well, right?

I just bought a radio from him. He is in the US. I had to ask him to ship to Canada7

Ahhh okay, I think you gave me the Canada eBay link then. I found him on the US site. He's got some good stuff but I'm not in the market to spend 600 on radios I'll be using for personal/recreational purposes, lol.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Yea his selection is down right now. Mostly just 6packs of radios. He did have some HT1000 16ch 403-470MHz 'R' split with DTMF, speaker/mic new battery and charger for a decent price, but it seems they have dried up. I just bought the same thing but in 'K' band split. For less than US$150 delivered to me in Canada. Just waiting for it to get here.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I see them all over the place, I was considering buying those instead of HT1000s... But I keep leaning towards the HT1000 for some reason. They could take GMRS frequencies, as well as local FD/PD UHF frequencies as well, right?

In that respect, both are about equal.

fdscan

OK. Good to know. I'll still poke around and see what's available, I'll let you guys know about any questions I have.

rapidcharger

If you want a commercial/LMR radio, you might look for one with OST (operatable selectable tone). So that way you can change the squelch tones if you need to without hooking up to a computer for programming. I beleive the PM-400 will do it. They're a step above the cp-200.

teacher.gif
As for my earlier comments on the batteries, If an OEM battery costs $75 and lasts five years and several hundred charging cycles, a better AM batt costs $50 and lasts 2.5 years, and an Ebay Imax Expert Battery costs $25 and lasts one year with terrible performance begging at age 1 month requiring twice daily charges to get a full day of service at 90/5/5, which is really the cheapest battery?
To fuel a radio over 5 years, here's the actual cost breakdown...
OEM: $75, no headaches, solid performance
Good AM: $100, one replacement
Imax Xpert super cheap ebay battery: $125, 5 replacents, twice daily charging!

Status
Not open for further replies.