• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola 2 way frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandiegosand

No, it does not change the frequency, the privacy code is just the tone that the radio listens for. If you have the owners manual for the radio, then you should be able to lookup the hz value that it listens for. Channel 21 is always going to be 462.700 (if that is corect from my memory).

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Also, if you aren't using a privacy code and are just on the regular channel, you will here all of the people using privacy codes on that channel, but they will not be able to hear you.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Short answer is no. Without getting into a long drawn our mess a FRS radio is built per FCC regulations and how it comes is how it is used. Do a search on the forum and you will find thiscomes up quie often.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Bubble pack radios tend to only do PL (Motorola for CTCSS) some guys will use DPL (DCS/DTCSS) to keep bubble pack radios from being able to hit their repeaters or interrupting their simplex comms.

I'm not too familiar with how bubble pack (22 ch radios often bought in pairs) do their frequencies. If ch 21 462.700 MHz then I'd see it how Icom organizes their GMRS channels (channel 7).

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Bubble pack radios tend to only do PL (Motorola for CTCSS) some guys will use DPL (DCS/DTCSS) to keep bubble pack radios from being able to hit their repeaters or interrupting their simplex comms.

I'm not too familiar with how bubble pack (22 ch radios often bought in pairs) do their frequencies. If ch 21 462.700 MHz then I'd see it how Icom organizes their GMRS channels (channel 7).

Fyi, most of the GMRS/ FRS bubble packs on the market now include both PL and DPL and a few are even repeater capable like the MR350's

n9zas

Project25_MASTR

Fyi, most of the GMRS/ FRS bubble packs on the market now include both PL and DPL and a few are even repeater capable like the MR350's

n9zas

Didn't see the users manual on the MR350 mention repeaters but it did mention PL and DPL (however it did not define how their number correlates to which PL/DPL). I know some of the newer bubble packs will do repeaters but they won't do split tones. Then again, going split tones is just kind of mean…

Darth_vader

"I'm not too familiar with how bubble-pack radios do their frequencies. If channel 21 is 462.700 MHz, I'd like to see how Icom organizes their GMRS channels (channel 7)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMRS#Frequency_chart

I think the Motorola numbering convention is probably the most widely used ("de facto" standard) arrangement in the "blister pack" F/GMRS dual-service rigs.

gewecke

Banned
Didn't see the users manual on the MR350 mention repeaters but it did mention PL and DPL (however it did not define how their number correlates to which PL/DPL). I know some of the newer bubble packs will do repeaters but they won't do split tones. Then again, going split tones is just kind of mean…

I don't own a pair of them, but the store where I work does sell them. From this statement in the manual apparently there is a method for this,

Here's the statement,

REPEATER FUNCTION – IMPROVES YOUR COVERAGE BEYOND THE HORIZON
Maximize your camping, sporting or hunting experience by improving your radio transmission coverage* when talking to family or group members who sometimes wander far beyond the line of sight. Thanks to the built-in repeater channels, the MS350 works well with a local repeater station to carry your signal further. Take advantage of this value-added feature by switching to GMRS channels 15R-22R, but don’t forget you’ll need a GMRS license and an accessible repeater station to take advantage of this unique feature.***

n9zas

Logan005

I purchased a MR35* and returned after testing it was the yellow floating radios, two for 73 after tax. channels 1-7 FRS 1/2 watt. channels 8 and up were GMRS at 1 or 2 watt's the last 7 channels on the radio were already set up in pairs. 467/462 for repeater use. These radios were easy to set up. but very poor for anything other than very local use. "Do not use these radios in the cab of your truck or car" since they include the FRS channels, they are not allowed to have a removable antenna. Consider a CCR "cheap Chinese radio" There are many to chose from. CCR's include a removable antenna, much safer to attach to a mag mount antenna and use in your truck or car. they also transmit up to the 5 watt's allowable by the FCC on GMRS HT's. Some claim since these radios are not part95 cert. they are not legal to use, However I believe there is much room for interpretation. I also believe that when it comes to emergency communications, I want the best radio I can have. Spend as you wish, but do the research first.

Project25_MASTR

I purchased a MR35* and returned after testing it was the yellow floating radios, two for 73 after tax. channels 1-7 FRS 1/2 watt. channels 8 and up were GMRS at 1 or 2 watt's the last 7 channels on the radio were already set up in pairs. 467/462 for repeater use. These radios were easy to set up. but very poor for anything other than very local use. "Do not use these radios in the cab of your truck or car" since they include the FRS channels, they are not allowed to have a removable antenna. Consider a CCR "cheap Chinese radio" There are many to chose from. CCR's include a removable antenna, much safer to attach to a mag mount antenna and use in your truck or car. they also transmit up to the 5 watt's allowable by the FCC on GMRS HT's. Some claim since these radios are not part95 cert. they are not legal to use, However I believe there is much room for interpretation. I also believe that when it comes to emergency communications, I want the best radio I can have. Spend as you wish, but do the research first.

I've yet to find an HT that will do 5W on the UHF side. Most will only do 4W (or at least the ones I have).

Logan005

yep, all of mine are 4 watts also, although I have a new Kruier radio for my HAM stuff, that claims 8 watt's. I may never know as I can not get the software to install. 4 watt's is a lot closer to 5 than 1 or 2 watt's. FRS use in a car or truck is mostly safe at 1/2 watt but most likely ineffectual as much of the ERP is deflected and not radiated in an efficient pattern. more power does not improve your chances of getting a signal out of a vehicle it only increases your exposure to harmful RF radiation. I consider an external antenna necessary when operating in my truck, or any car. a good mag mount and a CCR with a removable antenna get's the job done.

gewecke

Banned
Mine too are mostly 4 watts out on uhf, but the difference between 4 and 5 watts out is minute at best anyway, but the option of a external antenna is a MUST! :)

n9zas

Project25_MASTR

yep, all of mine are 4 watts also, although I have a new Kruier radio for my HAM stuff, that claims 8 watt's. I may never know as I can not get the software to install. 4 watt's is a lot closer to 5 than 1 or 2 watt's. FRS use in a car or truck is mostly safe at 1/2 watt but most likely ineffectual as much of the ERP is deflected and not radiated in an efficient pattern. more power does not improve your chances of getting a signal out of a vehicle it only increases your exposure to harmful RF radiation. I consider an external antenna necessary when operating in my truck, or any car. a good mag mount and a CCR with a removable antenna get's the job done.

This. Once I get past 10 miles or so I can no longer key up the repeater from the car. I've gone as far as 17 miles if I'm not in the car on a stock antenna. I've never found a need to go above 25W on my external antenna for repeater use. Most high gain UHF external antennas are some where around +6 dBi. In theory, two commercial receivers with +6 dBi antennas should be able to make 20 miles at 4W.

Status
Not open for further replies.