• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS/GMRS and repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Kind of new to FRS and GMRS so this may be a stupid question, but here goes anyway.....

Is there any way of knowing if what I'm hearing on the FRS and GMRS freqs is simplex or coming over a repeater?

There is an Enterprise Commercial Vehicle Sales business about 1/2 mile from me, and they use GMRS for communications between the office and their (huge) lot. Sometimes they come in with a booming signal and other times it's nothing but static. I guess I'm wondering if they are on a repeater and how I would know if they are.

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

:)

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
If it is simplex, there is no "hang time" where the signal stays up after they have finished talking. If it is repeater, you should be able to hear them from a further distance, and most likely there will be hang time and possibly a squelch tail or courtesy tone after the transmission.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Usually if you're hearing a repeater there will be a delay before the signal drops on both ends, but not always. Is the signal clear from both parties? Do you hear a "chirp" at the end of their transmissions? What sort of range do they have?
If they are not giving a call sign, they are probably just another business using bubble pack radios illegally.

n9zas

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

We can't say if they're legal or not, without knowing what channel and make & model of radio they're using. An unmodified FRS-only radio on 1-14 is completely legal. An FRS/GMRS hybrid may be legal or not, depending on the channel they choose.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

We can't say if they're legal or not, without knowing what channel and make & model of radio they're using. An unmodified FRS-only radio on 1-14 is completely legal. An FRS/GMRS hybrid may be legal or not, depending on the channel they choose.

Exactly, since the op didn't specifically state the traffic was on GMRS or if a call was given. But I would not be surprised if they were illegal since I hear the same occur every day from the airport here.

n9zas

fineshot1

Kind of new to FRS and GMRS so this may be a stupid question, but here goes anyway.....

Is there any way of knowing if what I'm hearing on the FRS and GMRS freqs is simplex or coming over a repeater?

There is an Enterprise Commercial Vehicle Sales business about 1/2 mile from me, and they use GMRS for communications between the office and their (huge) lot. Sometimes they come in with a booming signal and other times it's nothing but static. I guess I'm wondering if they are on a repeater and how I would know if they are.

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

There are NO repeaters on FRS - it is not only not allowed but none of the normally sold FRS portable
radios has repeater capability.
....and has been said normally a GMRS repeater with a hang time is noticeable enough to make it
abundantly clear that it is a repeater.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the information.

I really haven't heard a delay at the end of their transmissions nor any kind of chirp. I'll take note as to what frequency they're on when I hear them later on today. They're usually pretty quiet in the mornings; things don't pick up to mid-afternoon usually.

Once again, thanks for the info provided.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
You could always program in both frequencies of each GMRS pair and give that a listen. You'll know right quick if it's a simplex conversation or a repeater.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

You could always program in both frequencies of each GMRS pair and give that a listen. You'll know right quick if it's a simplex conversation or a repeater.

Sometimes it's the simplest solutions you don't think of.

I just might do this. It'll only take a matter of minutes.

Thanks.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, after doing more listening, here's what I've discovered....

When I hear the business I referenced above, it's been while doing a "system search" of the FRS/GMRS/MURS bands on my scanner. Paid better attention when thy keyed up a little while ago, and saw that they were on 467.8500, not one of the normal FRS/GMRS frequencies. Turns out that that frequency is the Silver Star frequency. They're using a DPL tone, but reception is so spotty right now, my scanner isn't staying locked on long enough for me to notice what tone is being used.

I know someone replied that they may be on the air illegally, but maybe they are legit since they're using a business band frequency.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along this additional information just in case anyone else wants to comment. I certainly appreciate all the information provided; I have definitely learned a thing or two from this thread.

quarterwave

Good detective work. I would add that let's remember that some repeaters do not have any hang time, so that's not always the case.

Also, a little ear training goes a long way. If you are in a static position, and the signal of different "units" of theirs vary...odds are it's not a repeater. If the portables signals vary in quality, but the RF is solid on your end then that could be a repeater.

And, with the (real world) quality of some GMRS/FRS radios, and the wide nature of many scanners, you can often hear something on 462.700 that is really on 462.7125. I use 2 BC780 scanners, but one time had to program the GMRS and neighboring FRS freq in one of my Motorola radios to be able to tell for sure which they were on.

There is a rental place near where I work (but 20 mi from where I live) on 650 simplex. Not their fault, some Kenwood dealer sold them radios and put them on the freq....but I don't bother with them, as they are in a "hole" and work 8-5 so really they aren't bothering me, as I use other GMRS freqs. And....they are a "family" business...and could actually be ok to use GMRS...

Anyway...good ID!

k8zgw

My guess

Based on the info I can gather ( your location)
my best guess is that you are hearing a company
called FLEET MAINTENACE (sic)

By doing a search at
License Search - Advanced License Search
with the frequency and a better location, you should be able to
narrow it down ( if you really care)

There were 290 "hits" in Illinois.
most with 2 watt radios on 467.850

Good luck

Don

ecps92

Fleet Maintenance aka Sears n Roebuck
Typically used 464.5250 Simplex 131.8 Hz

Many Groups use the Business Bubble packs and never license (Worse then GMRS Violators)

Many Department Stores as malls will use those frequencies and they actual license can be tricky to track down as it comes back to Corp HQ vs the actual Mall Locations.

To the OP what DPL ?? as many stores use the same tone/freq from store-to-store

Based on the info I can gather ( your location)
my best guess is that you are hearing a company
called FLEET MAINTENACE (sic)

By doing a search at
with the frequency and a better location, you should be able to
narrow it down ( if you really care)

There were 290 "hits" in Illinois.
most with 2 watt radios on 467.850

Good luck

Don

Last edited:

k8zgw

OK

Bill,
All I can tell you, is that you do a search 467.85
at the FCC site
and put in Illinois, you will get over 290 hits, about a dozen
of them are FLEET MAINTENACE ( that's the way it's spelled on the license)
they are also licensed on 464.525, but most of them seem to be expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.