RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2015, 5:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation

Add to list:
Kenwood NEXEDGE NX-300 handheld
Kenwood TK-3140 handheld
Kenwood TK-3160 handheld
Kenwood TK-3170 handheld
Kenwood TK-3101 handheld
Kenwood TKR-820 repeater
Kenwood TKR-850 repeater
Kenwood NEXEDGE NXR-800 repeater (nice 5W 1U package for driving an external PA)

These are radios I've owned before and have looked up their FCC ID in the past.
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2016, 9:55 PM

Default Are there any commercially-available Part 95A mobile GMRS transceivers?

I have perused this thread and searched the FCC's equipment authorization database myself, and it does not appear that there are any GMRS-authorized, mobile, repeater-capable, transceivers, with 16 memories or more, and more than 5 watts output, currently available commercially (new, from the manufacturer or distributor) in the US.

I thought the Kenwood TK-8302HU might be the exception, but it appears to be available only used on eBay.

In fact, with the exception of that and another Kenwood model, all the final action dates in the database are earlier than 2010, most of them being 2006 or earlier, indicating that it has been a long time since a mobile transceiver has received approval for GMRS.

Forgive me if I missed it, but am I wrong?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 05-12-2016, 4:45 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by amocjr View Post
I have perused this thread and searched the FCC's equipment authorization database myself, and it does not appear that there are any GMRS-authorized, mobile, repeater-capable, transceivers, with 16 memories or more, and more than 5 watts output, currently available commercially (new, from the manufacturer or distributor) in the US.

I thought the Kenwood TK-8302HU might be the exception, but it appears to be available only used on eBay.

In fact, with the exception of that and another Kenwood model, all the final action dates in the database are earlier than 2010, most of them being 2006 or earlier, indicating that it has been a long time since a mobile transceiver has received approval for GMRS.

Thanks,
Tony
. Maxon used to market a Gmrs talkie, specifically designed for Gmrs, Model; 210+3. It was 5 watts and was repeater capable with a slip on rechargeable battery. It looked a lot like the radio shack Htx-202's. I now wish I would have kept the one I had. 73, n9zas
Old 05-12-2016, 10:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

TecNet purchased the assets of Maxon, but none of their current products are 95A certified. I guess there's just not enough of a market to justify the expense of additional certification.

The database at the FCC shows:
Quote:
1118 results were found that match the search criteria:
Rule Part Exact Match: Selected First Rule Part: 95A
but none of them are new equipment as far as I can find.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:48 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I always wondered what became of the Maxon company. I've got a number of Maxon SM4450s and SP2850s that are programmed up for GMRS. They're built like tanks. The programming is a pain now and the outer sheathing on the mic cords is deteriorating. Otherwise, they are still good radios.
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2016, 4:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The TERA TR-505 is Part 95A Certified, at least for now. This radio is likely being replaced with one that can't be reprogrammed as a dual-band, but for now, it indeed has the FCC ID: 2ACK8TR505D

I don't think I can post images yet, so here's a link to a pic of the inside of the radio:

http://bettersaferadio.com/wp-conten...ody-Back-1.png
Old 06-05-2016, 10:00 AM

Every LMR (part 90) Kenwood UHF radio i have owned has also been Part 95 type accepted.

Just looked up the NX-800 and it is Part 95.

If you want I can look up more, I am sure there are many others if not all their UHF radios that are Part 95a.

There are many options from the Kenwood line for you. (yes, I am a kenwood fanboi.)

-chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by amocjr View Post

Thanks,
Tony
Old 06-05-2016, 10:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6LED View Post
The TERA TR-505 is Part 95A Certified, at least for now. This radio is likely being replaced with one that can't be reprogrammed as a dual-band, but for now, it indeed has the FCC ID: 2ACK8TR505D
There are three identical looking radios with three different FCC IDs:
2ACK8TR500 is VHF/UHF Part 90
2ACK8TR505D is MURS/GMRS Part 95
2ACK8TR505 is GMRS only Part 95
I don't know if they all have the exact same hardware.
Old 06-05-2016, 3:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
There are three identical looking radios with three different FCC IDs:
2ACK8TR500 is VHF/UHF Part 90
2ACK8TR505D is MURS/GMRS Part 95
2ACK8TR505 is GMRS only Part 95
I don't know if they all have the exact same hardware.
I think I explained this in another related forum, but the 2ACK8TR505 ID was for the GMRS/MURS radio, but was a 1st "botched" submission. I'm not sure why that ID is still active, but it's not used. The 2ACK8TR505D is the current Part95A/J ID for the GMRS/MURS radio. The 2ACK8TR500 is for the commercial version of the same radio, which just has a different faceplate, manual & factory programming.

They also make a TR-590, which is also a commercial radio, but has a keypad and 200 channels, so when "unlocked," makes for a nice ham HT.
Old 06-24-2016, 8:05 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Hello forum,
Anyone know of a cheap bubble pack pair of radios that can do PL tones? I have a 20 dollar set of CX112 Cobras I got at Walmart and their great but no PL tone capability. No waterproofing or "50 mile range" needed I just use these for short distance onsite talkaround when needed. Just need another cheap pair just like the CX112 but with PL tone capabilty if anyone knows any thank you.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2RNI View Post
Hello forum,
Anyone know of a cheap bubble pack pair of radios that can do PL tones? I have a 20 dollar set of CX112 Cobras I got at Walmart and their great but no PL tone capability. No waterproofing or "50 mile range" needed I just use these for short distance onsite talkaround when needed. Just need another cheap pair just like the CX112 but with PL tone capabilty if anyone knows any thank you.
Just shop around a little. Pretty much all the bubble packs have Pl tones and even Dcs now. Some of the motorolas are even repeater capable. 73, n9zas
Old 06-25-2016, 11:36 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Part 95 GMRS radio list

Privacy codes = PL codes. Any bubble packs with privacy codes will do. With a tiny bit of googling you can find cross reference charts for all the major manufacturers codes.
Old 07-25-2016, 6:19 PM

Smile FCC Certification - SM-4450SC

Dear Sir;
I can't find online any validation of Sm-4450SC Part 95 Certification; can you send me a link to see actual documentation of this? Thanks! Tim H.
Old 07-26-2016, 1:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by timazon View Post
Dear Sir;
I can't find online any validation of Sm-4450SC Part 95 Certification; can you send me a link to see actual documentation of this? Thanks! Tim H.
The FCC ID# for the Maxon SM4450SC is: F3JSM445C

You can enter that here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm

The search results get you this:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...estTimeout=500

The page that lists which Part or Parts the radio is certified for is here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...c_id=F3JSM445C