RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 5:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool keep looking

There is a thread about this here. The change is automatic on the bubbles.I'm sure it's in the software.
Old 07-13-2014, 6:13 PM

That is what you said in post 39 above; I'm curious HOW the software knows when to switch between power levels as I can't find away to manually do it.
Old 07-14-2014, 8:37 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It knows based on the channel. 1-7 are shared GMRS channels, so it will use the higher power. 8-14 are FRS-only channels, so it will limit to .5W or less. 15-22 are like 1-7, shared GMRS and high power.
Old 07-14-2014, 9:15 AM

Ah, so it DOESN'T "automatically change" on Channels 1-7; I couldn't see how it could do so (at least without a lot of extra signal detection circuitry). Since Channels 1-7 are FIXED at the high power output, then someone who wanted to use them for FRS is SOL if they have a dual-band unit. There should be a manual power switch for those channels.
Old 07-14-2014, 6:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Unhappy um

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad275 View Post
Ah, so it DOESN'T "automatically change" on Channels 1-7; I couldn't see how it could do so (at least without a lot of extra signal detection circuitry). Since Channels 1-7 are FIXED at the high power output, then someone who wanted to use them for FRS is SOL if they have a dual-band unit. There should be a manual power switch for those channels.
I still think you're confused. Dual band, really? Keep reading. :-(
Old 07-14-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddleMan View Post
I still think you're confused. Dual band, really? Keep reading. :-(
Well, actually a "Dual-use overlay" on the Channels 1 - 7 of the FRS/GMRS/XYZRS/adnauseum band.
Old 07-15-2014, 8:25 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Dual service would be accurate (they are in the same band). You are correct, Channels 1-7 are set so that they operate under GMR Service rules, not FR Service rules.
Old 07-15-2014, 8:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

See the section at the bottom of Family Radio Service (FRS) | FCC.gov titled General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) and Family Radio Service (FRS) Dual Devices.
Old 08-31-2014, 8:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

most of the gmrs guys in vegas use baofang radios ,, there 1w/4w and not type approved
Old 09-01-2014, 12:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7mxi View Post
most of the gmrs guys in vegas use baofang radios ,, there 1w/4w and not type approved

That's probably one of the biggest debacles in Part 95A. Read the rules and you'll find they contradict themselves. First it says all radios must be type accepted for operation in GMRS (I believe that is the actual wording if memory serves correct), then it states all radios must meet the technical specifications of GMRS (which all Part 90 radios do. Nearly all of the Baofeng line is Part 90 compliant.

I don't remember hearing of people getting busted by the FCC for using Part 90 radios (who were licensed). All of the stories/reports I've seen are hams using Part 97 equipment on GMRS.

Similarly the part about interconnection. If you read it you may notice it is talking about interconnection to the switched telephone network (exception being a 911 patch). There is also an entire omitted section in the current rules that defines a wireline link in GMRS.

Not trying to start a debate here, just saying, the rules have been hacked up over the last 25 years and never really re-written. So they can be quite vague. Most times when you ask the FCC they'll read the first part and say there it is in black and white…when you point out the contradicting statements, they'll just scratch their heads and give a blank stare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2014, 9:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
It would actually depend on how the radio was type accepted. AFAIK, all 22-channel combo units are going to be type accepted for GMRS operation on 1-7, 15-22 and FRS operation on 8-14 (that is the case on all Uniden units). If you operate on 1-7, 15-22 a license is technically required, even if you are operating under .5W (since regulatory-wise the radio itself is not considered to be a "FRS" radio except on 8-14).
Also, remember, FRS requires narrow FM (NBFM) with a maximum deviation of 2.5 kilohertz. The channels are spaced at 12.5 kilohertz intervals and GMRS operates Wide FM (WFM) with 5 kHz deviation and 25 kHz spacing.

Channels 1-7 are set to WFM, which is prohibited under FRS rules.

All comments may or may not resemble actual fact. Any message posted constitutes opinion only.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

motorola repeater capable bubble wraps have 2 tx buttons ,,, placed in a way that most users rarely use the low power transmit button since the high power one is easier to use ....
Old 09-07-2014, 1:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5PKY View Post
. Nearly all of the Baofeng line is Part 90 compliant.
Maybe in theory, but they're all over the place on deviation and spurious emissions. The UV-5R and its variants are definitely not Part 90 approved.
Old 09-07-2014, 8:58 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Default DFRS

Sounds like we need a dysfunctional family radio service. DFRS Maybe doctor Phil could chime in on this one?
Old 09-07-2014, 11:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5YDR View Post
Maybe in theory, but they're all over the place on deviation and spurious emissions. The UV-5R and its variants are definitely not Part 90 approved.
The ones I have have been relatively good. No spurious emissions and proper deviation (checked with network analyzers).

I'll just leave this here:
UV-5R Part 90 Grant
Old 09-07-2014, 12:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You must have lucked out. I got through about a dozen Google hits before I got bored of reading 'harmonics not well controlled, low audio, inconsistent deviation' on every one.

What I'm saying is that the units they sent to the FCC for type approval may have made the cut, but their QC can't deliver that consistently. It's not that big a deal one way or the other. Forty dollar radio performs about forty dollars' worth.
Old 09-07-2014, 1:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5YDR View Post
You must have lucked out. I got through about a dozen Google hits before I got bored of reading 'harmonics not well controlled, low audio, inconsistent deviation' on every one.

What I'm saying is that the units they sent to the FCC for type approval may have made the cut, but their QC can't deliver that consistently. It's not that big a deal one way or the other. Forty dollar radio performs about forty dollars' worth.
I know a Baofeng (Pofeng) reseller…we test one out every 100-150. NIB they've always been on the mark. Now where they always lack is in the squelch circuit. Sometimes even receive PLs don't even help.
Old 09-21-2014, 6:00 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello.

I have tested over 200 Baofeng radios, some under other names.
The receive may be bad, but transmit is fine.
And, there was a CB/FRS unit out a while back.
It had a fixed antenna for the FRS side and a standard SO-239 for CB, they work well.
FRS is used for things like parking lots and the like, ultra short range.
When you have 50 trucks in a truck stop you have a problem with not being able to hear the other trucks, too close.
But, FRS solves the problem.
Backing, the spotter can carry the talkie.
.5 watt is more than enough in this case.
Old 09-21-2014, 9:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Really? A dual-band Part 95 transceiver? What make and model?
Old 09-22-2014, 5:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
Really? A dual-band Part 95 transceiver? What make and model?
Never happened. Never Will.

All comments may or may not resemble actual fact. Any message posted constitutes opinion only.