RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 2:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Type is the type of station.
Service is the radio service a station is licensed for.
Licensee is mentioned because most private land mobile service licenses cover only specific stations on one or more specific frequencies in a specific geographical area and not for communications with other licensees.
Old 03-04-2015, 3:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastycookies View Post
§90.417 Interstation communication.

(a) Any station licensed under this part may communicate with any other station without restriction as to type, service, or licensee when the communications involved relate directly to the imminent safety-of-life or property.

IANAL but would not that mean without restriction to type acceptance, service (band/frequency), or license authorized?
The restriction is "any station licensed under this part may..."

A licensed Part 90 station may communicate with anyone by radio under the specified circumstances.

However, there is nothing in the section that contradicts §90.427. It says that a licensed station may communicate with an unlicensed station if the conditions of §90.417(a) are met. It says nothing about programming frequencies "just in case," nor does it give permission for planned unlicensed operation. The section protects a licensee during a defined emergency; it does not provide any shelter for the unlicensed other operator before or after the fact.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTEK View Post
If I use a frequency that is shared by both FRS and GMRS, which rule as far as power and FCC call signs apply?
FRS/GMRS combined channel chart - The RadioReference Wiki
Old 09-23-2015, 11:10 AM

50 watts may sound like allot compared to 5 watts.
5 watts is a hand held.

Most UHF mobile radios put out 45 watts on average.
Old 09-23-2015, 9:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WQWG712 View Post
50 watts may sound like allot compared to 5 watts.
5 watts is a hand held.

Most UHF mobile radios put out 45 watts on average.
Show me a commercial (excluding the Chinese stuff) HT that puts out more than 4W on UHF...

The difference comes down to ERP. The shared channels have an ERP limit of 5W. The GMRS only channels have an unlimited ERP (limited only by technology) with a RF power output limit of 50W.
Old 05-19-2017, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
Show me a commercial (excluding the Chinese stuff) HT that puts out more than 4W on UHF...

The difference comes down to ERP. The shared channels have an ERP limit of 5W. The GMRS only channels have an unlimited ERP (limited only by technology) with a RF power output limit of 50W.
Old thread but I need to clarify this. Especially after another thread post a couple of days ago.

It apparently is assumed that licensed GMRS is 50 watts and ERP is unlimited, which I was pretty sure wasn't right for fixed stations. Based on that assumption I could run a 50 watt output (assume 1.5 db loss in cable) into a 13 db Yagi and my ERP would be 706.26 watts, holy crap I think the guy who runs the repeater 8 mies away would come throw rocks at my house.

Yes. I have clarified it, as per 95.135.d, For a fixed station output power is limited to 15 watts. That still leaves me with 211 ERP out of that Yagi, which is fine by me, the valley is big but LOS limits me to 15-20 miles anyways. in fact I plan on leaving it on low power (5w) anyways.

Yes, for mobiles it's 50 watts, but a good mobile antenna is only going to be around 5.5 db gain, which based upon the above example leaves me with 125 ERP,

That sounds more reasonable. Sorry for kicking this dead horse, but I just needed to clarify it my head. Feel free to comment if I'm wrong.

On the other side of that coin, some might know the troubles I've had with a couple of illegal FRS simplex repeaters run by 2 idiot licensed Hams. (turns out some other hams in the area actually have encouraged this illegal repeater to keep them away from Ham freqs) By the definition of part 95 for mobiles, I could mount that 13 db Yagi in the bed of my truck and I would still be legal running the full 50 watts, they don't clarify restrictions on mobile antennas, lol. I doubt that the front end of that BaoFeng Uv-5r he's using as the simplex repeater radio could handle 706 watts ERP transmitting on the overlapping GMRS channel (just to stay legal, lol) in wideband (to ensure I overlap) parked across the street 200 feet away. I am being factitious, but the thought has crossed my mind, lol.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 05-19-2017 at 3:04 AM..
Old 05-19-2017, 8:07 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
Yes. I have clarified it, as per 95.135.d, For a fixed station output power is limited to 15 watts. That still leaves me with 211 ERP out of that Yagi, which is fine by me, the valley is big but LOS limits me to 15-20 miles anyways. in fact I plan on leaving it on low power (5w) anyways.
Except for the fact the definition of a fixed station was omitted from the rules 28 years ago. Part of the current proposal (to modernize and clarify the rules for GMRS) is to remove all mentions of a fixed station due to the fact the definitions and licensing requirments for fixed stations were dropped nearly 3 decades ago.