RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 4:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Just a question...

You say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_vader View Post
CTCSS and digital squelch is allowed on all services, and may be required to access repeaters on GMRS. Usage of a CTCSS tone/DCS code is completely optional on any FRS/GMRS/MURS channel, but one is likely to attract more attention using it.
And I'm just curious why "...one is likely to attract more attention using it."?? I'm not arguing the statement, just curious. I would think more people would come across your comms if you were open instead of using a CTCSS/DCS? Do you mean they will be more suspicious?

And anyone who has input feel free to respond...just curious!
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2014, 6:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool CTCSS,DCS

Coded squelch...not to show up on radio, unless you are looking for it. Those transmissions won't be any more obvious than those without them. No hiding there. You could hide audio if you set one tone or another. Then when transmitted, the squelch opens. I would like to see more use.
Old 08-04-2014, 4:56 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

The frs gmrs future has no basis as any fact and if it was to become unlicensed it would still be the same just with no licenses like UHF cb is australia nx and a few other asian countries. Its simple
Old 02-01-2015, 10:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddleMan View Post
Coded squelch...not to show up on radio, unless you are looking for it. Those transmissions won't be any more obvious than those without them. No hiding there. You could hide audio if you set one tone or another. Then when transmitted, the squelch opens. I would like to see more use.
What I mean to say is, you could"hide"or squelch all received audio until someone that uses, or transmits the same tones you set your radio to receive. You won't hear anything until that happens. There is nothing current that will scramble, or keep anyone from hearing your transmission.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:33 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyWolf View Post
The frs gmrs future has no basis as any fact and if it was to become unlicensed it would still be the same just with no licenses like UHF cb is australia nx and a few other asian countries. Its simple
In australia you need licensing only to set up UHF CB repeater. But the speculation is done, the FCC said no but dropped the licensing fee so you only have to pay 65 dollars now. Great service.
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddleMan View Post
What I mean to say is, you could"hide"or squelch all received audio until someone that uses, or transmits the same tones you set your radio to receive. You won't hear anything until that happens. There is nothing current that will scramble, or keep anyone from hearing your transmission.
There are some people using a Chinese radio on GMRS that is not part certified for GMRS that comes with a voice scrambler built in. Someone told me it was just a "voice inversion" scrambler - whatever that is - but yes people do have various scrambler type devices that are being used on GMRS.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
There are some people using a Chinese radio on GMRS that is not part certified for GMRS that comes with a voice scrambler built in. Someone told me it was just a "voice inversion" scrambler - whatever that is - but yes people do have various scrambler type devices that are being used on GMRS.
Yeah the baofeng bf888s it. Couple different inversion patters. I have a whole fleet of them and the best part is they work through a regular repeater. Also got Couple uhf DpMR chinese radios with aes256 encryption.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:07 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post

Scrambling is not permitted on GMRS. Midland and Uniden were fined for including this function on their bubble packs. Inversion "flips" the high and low sounds, making it unintelligible. Very rudimentary scrambling; but requires something to re-invert the audio. I've heard it too on FRS and/or GMRS also.

In the pre-digital age, I had a cordless phone that had it.

All comments may or may not resemble actual fact. Any message posted constitutes opinion only.
Old 07-30-2016, 2:02 PM

Quote:
And I'm just curious why "...one is likely to attract more attention using it."?? I'm not arguing the statement, just curious. I would think more people would come across your comms if you were open instead of using a CTCSS/DCS? Do you mean they will be more suspicious?
I guess he probably meant because CTCSS is set on most consumer HTs by default (usually 67) and since most people never seem to change from the defaults, one would be able to hit more than if just using carrier squelch? Wild guess.
Old 08-05-2016, 2:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In some areas we define the differences between Fixed and Base Station as:

Fixed: A Non Movable Station such as a Ham Shack or Home Station
Base Station: While more fixed than a mobile can be moved. Such as a unit kept in camp (Base) or one in a Camper. While others may use HT as they go about camping, shopping, etc. the Base Station stays at the Base Camp. This is similar to EMS responding to major emergencies and setting up a Command Base. While it is a Base, it also is mobile in that it can be easily relocated.
Old 12-27-2016, 8:56 PM

Default Mobile on highways

Just completed a road trip. I really missed the days of info on the CB. Not much timely info now. What about using FRS/GMRS on mobile with an external antenna. If we could get the manufacturers to buy into it.. I think it would be great if it included EAS and NOAA local weather alert for travelers. People say that CBs have been replaced with cellphones. Well, that only works if you know other travelers' phone numbers. But being an additional distraction, I agree. What are your thoughts?
Old 12-28-2016, 8:56 AM

There are GMRS mobiles, with external antennas, however you must buy a license, no test, just pay the FCC for a call sign. Just like the old CB days.

I have GMRS mobiles in my vehicles and we get about 10 miles range - mobile to mobile, very happy with it.

The biggest help would be if people would pick a GMRS frequency to monitor. Often times it's not people in the distance that I ( or we ) need to speak with, it's people within close proximity, 1/2 mile or so on the road, like what lane is the problem lane in this traffic jam, what lane to I need to move over to ?

One of the big advantages to GMRS is the pl codes and the lower power walkie talkies. I have lived in several communities where we had our own local GMRS network. At a campground, everyone monitored one frequency as a calling channel, if someone wanted or need something they just called out on the radio, everyone nearby received the one message, and anyone interested responded.

I have applied the same process to a rural community I currently live in. Everyone's property, over 900 of them, is at least 2.5 acres, some are 50 acres so you can see the houses are not close to each other. Everyone who is interested, when they are interested, monitors what is GMRS 16 on the bubble pack radios. If a neighbor needs something they just call out on 16 and ask, like anyone around that could give me a hand loading a "whatever" into my truck ? Or a lost - or found - animal. one radio broadcast works much easier than multiple phone calls.

At night we use a different frequency with a different "PL" code for what operates like a security net. If someone hears or sees something suspicious they can call out and alert the neighbors. Of course, a real security threat would be called into 911 first. Frequently, the night time radio calls are more about a suspicious vehicle looking for a place to jump trash or a pack of coyotes seen prowling the neighborhood looking for dinner.

Even though we have each others phone numbers, the one call on the radio works much better in our situation.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:12 PM

Default call signs

I just got my GMRS call sign and am planning on using the service to talk with family. I know that this is within the rules of GMRS, the questions I run into are about identifying with the call sign. In the rules it states 95.119 (1) following the transmission of communications or a series of communications. So my question is this. If one of the legal users and I are talking on the radio do we have to end every transmission with a statement of the call sign (ie "whats your location? WQYR932 clear" with or without added unit number)
or can it be done at the end of all transmissions within that communication string. (ie "What's your location?" "I am at blank" "10-4 WQYR932 clear" with or without added unit number) Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-28-2016, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitheadDeSo View Post
I just got my GMRS call sign and am planning on using the service to talk with family. I know that this is within the rules of GMRS, the questions I run into are about identifying with the call sign. In the rules it states 95.119 (1) following the transmission of communications or a series of communications. So my question is this. If one of the legal users and I are talking on the radio do we have to end every transmission with a statement of the call sign (ie "whats your location? WQYR932 clear" with or without added unit number)
or can it be done at the end of all transmissions within that communication string. (ie "What's your location?" "I am at blank" "10-4 WQYR932 clear" with or without added unit number) Any help is appreciated.
95.119 Station identification.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (e), every GMRS station must transmit a station identification:

(1) Following the transmission of communications or a series of communications; and

(2) Every 15 minutes during a long transmission.

(b) The station identification is the call sign assigned to the GMRS station or system.

(c) A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(d) The station identification must be transmitted in:

(1) Voice in the English language; or

(2) International Morse code telegraphy.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
Old 12-28-2016, 7:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkris View Post
about using FRS/GMRS on mobile with an external antenna. If we could get the manufacturers to buy into it..
The rules require non-removable antennas on FRS (but not GMRS). Radio Shack used to sell a mobile FRS radio that actually put the transceiver portion in a mag mount base at the antenna.
Old 12-28-2016, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
The rules require non-removable antennas on FRS (but not GMRS). Radio Shack used to sell a mobile FRS radio that actually put the transceiver portion in a mag mount base at the antenna.
I have bought a couple off of ebay, radio shack 21-1850, and they are great. The only thing you have to look at is the wires, some are frayed.
Old 05-26-2017, 9:35 PM

Looks like it's time to update the chart! Part 95 just got revamped!
Old 05-26-2017, 9:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevationStation View Post
Looks like it's time to update the chart! Part 95 just got revamped!
https://wiki.radioreference.com/inde..._channel_chart
Old 12-29-2017, 2:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The top level comment is now out of date per the Part 95 update. Can this be edited to reflect the changes? Or maybe un-sticky this thread and start a new one.

var radioList = new List<Radio>();
Old 12-29-2017, 2:26 PM
Moderator---not censor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by call_sign_null View Post
The top level comment is now out of date per the Part 95 update. Can this be edited to reflect the changes? Or maybe un-sticky this thread and start a new one.
Good catch! I'll unstick it and leave it up to someone else to start e new updated thread.

Tags
frs, gmrs, murs