• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FCC Rejects GMRS Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB4CS

As it should have been. I think the FCC is correct that Amateur Radio and GMRS are two different radio services and should be kept separate.

The reasoning behind the proposed rule change could open up a Pandora's Box for the rest of the radio spectrum. Why stop at GMRS? Amateur Radio has frequencies in all parts of the spectrum, so using the reasoning in the request, we should also be able to use CB, MURS, Public Service, Marine, and Aviation frequencies with our (modifed) ham radios. I mean, CB is right below 10 Meters, Marine and MURS are just above 2 Meters, and we all know that the whacker community would love to get their hands on legal use of Public Service frequencies.

Getting into GMRS legally isn't hard. Buy a license and buy certified GMRS equipment. Sure, plenty of people would like to do it the easy way (and some already do illegally) by using their ham radios on GMRS (or other radio services), but the easy way isn't always the right way to do something.

I did get a laugh out of the comment that said "...with no practicable way for the Commission to monitor and enforce regulatory compliance for these devices", considering that the FCC is already doing such a poor job of enforcing the rules of GMRS with the legal sale of hybrid FRS/GMRS radios and Chinese handhelds that transmit all across VHF/UHF and are being used on GMRS.

So, I guess the FCC still says that using your ham radio on GMRS isn't legal. How about that.

mikepdx

A US Federal agency remarkably makes the right decision occasionally.

Now on to 14313 kHz and the big fat revenue stream just waiting there for the taking.
Houses, cars, retirement savings.
Do I hear GARNISH?

Dantian

Now on to 14313 kHz and the big fat revenue stream just waiting there for the taking. Houses, cars, retirement savings. Do I hear GARNISH?

Not sure what you are referring to OM. R U referring to K1MAN?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Never ceases to amaze me how some in the GMRS crowd want to morph the service into ham radio.

Here's a novel idea: get your ham ticket.

with a General class license, you can use more bands and modes, interconnect what you want, use any radio you want, and legally run power levels of a small broadcast station (though you should always use the minimum power needed for communications).

Another "change the rules just for me" that was rightfully shot down in short order.

mancow

Database Admin
Ridiculous.

There's no reason not to allow it. They allow modded ham rigs on MARS nets or CAP before they were digital. Passing traffic for a KC-135 is a bit more important than shooting the BS on some GMRS repeater yet the world hasn't ended.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
A better proposal would have been to allow Part 90 equipment on GMRS.

Ridiculous.

There's no reason not to allow it. They allow modded ham rigs on MARS nets or CAP before they were digital. Passing traffic for a KC-135 is a bit more important than shooting the BS on some GMRS repeater yet the world hasn't ended.

Very good reasons not to allow it, and as a ham you should know the technical reasons why.

The next poster after you has the right idea. Part 90

Dantian

A better proposal would have been to allow Part 90 equipment on GMRS.

Which was likely more the point of the petition, as dumb as the petition was anyway.

Now here's one from left field for all of ya:

Take a look at CB Rule 1. See the long list of radio services there, listed as service "a" through "g"?

There's going be a new one in, I would say, less than 18 months. It will be letter "h".

Hint: It's not GMRS. Yes, it will be a CB Radio Service.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Since you're in the know, care to share details?

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
there is a GMRS repeater on a mountain in a farming town nearby. They just rag chew like you would hear on 2 Meters.

D

DaveNF2G

I'm not sure where the FCC plans to get spectrum anywhere on VHF high band that is not either already filled or too valuable to commercial interests to reallocate for hobby use.

10-75

Feed Provider
I'm not sure where the FCC plans to get spectrum anywhere on VHF high band that is not either already filled or too valuable to commercial interests to reallocate for hobby use.

It's not - "The commission proposed rules for the Citizens Broadband Radio Service in a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that advances the commission’s efforts to meet the growing demand for spectrum by proposing to make 150 MHz available in the 3.5 GHz band."

mancow

Database Admin
Very good reasons not to allow it, and as a ham you should know the technical reasons why.

The next poster after you has the right idea. Part 90

Still doesn't negate the point of my post. Why on earth would modded hammy stuff be allowed to operate with such sensitive services if this is so dangerous? It doesn't seem to correlate.

I agree part 90 is the best solution though.

KB7MIB

No, do not make it license-free. Get rid of the hybrid FR/GMRS bubble packs, and get rid of the unlicensed users in the GMRS.
if it goes license-free, IMO it most likely will also get watered down. No repeaters, lower power limits, and more congestion.
Enforce the current regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.