RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 5:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Kinda like this:

What they do is get a radio approved that states it is "MURS ONLY" Put that in the manual that is supplied to the FCC. THEN, they have a special "test radio" that gets sent to the lab, which is also MURS-Only... THEN, the radio they actually sell will have both MURS and GMRS in it... In my opinion.

All comments may or may not resemble actual fact. Any message posted constitutes opinion only.
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2016, 11:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast

The current TR-505 web page lists only the 16 UHF GMRS channels (8 simplex / 8 repeater). No mention of MURS.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief21 View Post
The current TR-505 web page lists only the 16 UHF GMRS channels (8 simplex / 8 repeater). No mention of MURS.
True, but if you click through the photos on the page, one of them shows the radio with a factory emblem on the front that says "GMRS/MURS". It's a dual band radio that has been programmed with just the GMRS channels. One of the (questionable) "reviews" suggested using it on MURS also.

While not -marketed- as a MURS radio, the dealer isn't doing anything to discourage it.
Old 04-15-2016, 5:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hmmm... I didn't notice that last photo with the GMRS / MURS label. I wonder if that photo is just a holdover from an earlier model that actually was a dual-band radio.

I also didn't notice ANY mention whatsoever of the fact that GMRS users require a license. Powerwerx is a reputable company... What are they thinking?

John AC4JK
Old 04-15-2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Powerwerx is a reputable company... What are they thinking?
Profit, or they just weren't paying attention.

I've never purchased anything from them, so I'll have to take your word on the reputation. From what I've heard in this thread, they either have been dropping the ball a lot or are focusing on the idea that they won't get caught.
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2016, 3:11 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs down programming issue

Having two of these I've found that there are driver issues with the radio software. My windows eight laptop had trouble assigning automatically a com port seemingly because it's restricted to com port eight, also showing that already in use. I might be able to reassign through desktop a higher comport number to the Tera 505. I'm missing a downloaded driver for the radio. Can't find that email at the moment. All I need to do is communicate between the two and change the current settings. I'm in agreement with earlier posts shy about the pre settings from factory. I won't change it much but adding a couple of local repeaters' and hopefully be able to assign one multi function key for talk around on programmed repeater pairs.
Old 04-16-2016, 9:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Meddleman -

Are your Tera's GMRS and MURS or GMRS only? Just curious.

John AC4JK
Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wink chief21

Quote:
Meddleman -

Are your Tera's GMRS and MURS or GMRS only? Just curious.

John AC4JK
Yes. They are factory programmed and work that way. I find it might prove necessary one day. Never know if you can help somebody out then. It's a great talk around radio. Almost hate making it duplex for local repeater pairs. Use it for sure talk around to clear busy repeater and close in group operation.
Old 04-17-2016, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddleMan View Post
Yes. They are factory programmed and work that way. I find it might prove necessary one day. Never know if you can help somebody out then. It's a great talk around radio. Almost hate making it duplex for local repeater pairs. Use it for sure talk around to clear busy repeater and close in group operation.
So are your radios actually 5 watt as they advertise, or are they the 1.1 watt that the FCC application grant states?
Old 04-17-2016, 2:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRadio View Post
So are your radios actually 5 watt as they advertise, or are they the 1.1 watt that the FCC application grant states?
Both
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2016, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Both
Thanks! The image is a bit blurry, but it looks like UHF is 4 and 1 watt. Is that right?

Thanks again
Old 04-17-2016, 3:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default power levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRadio View Post
Thanks! The image is a bit blurry, but it looks like UHF is 4 and 1 watt. Is that right?

Thanks again
Yep. Sorry about the blurry image. Doing this by phone.
Old 04-17-2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Yep. Sorry about the blurry image. Doing this by phone.
No problem. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2016, 4:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile Tera tr-505 gmrs / murs

When the TR-505 was submitted for testing to the testing lab they omitted the MURS certification. That caused a problem and has now been corrected. The new certification is: 2ACK8TR505D. This certification covers both bands GMRS / MURS. Unfortunately due to the wisdom of the FCC only one service can exist in the radio at a time. So at this time we are selling the TR-505 GMRS radio which has a full 4 watts output. Software (have to buy the Cable) is in the web site to change the PL for various repeaters. Since this certification is the same as the GMRS the end user can program in the MURS frequencies or weather, etc. and have that service available. At a later date we may sell the radio as MURS only out of the box but we have not detected a big demand for MURS.

As an aside the TR-505 is the same radio as our TR-500 5 watt VHF /4 watt UHF Part 90 radio just certified under different radio service.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermee View Post
Seems like a neat handheld that does GMRS (+Repeaters) and MURS with a removable/detachable antenna.

TERA TR-505 GMRS/MURS Recreational Handheld Radio [TR-505] - $104.99

The FCC ID seems to be 2ACK8TR505, but I cannot find any part grants on the FCC database even though the website claims it to be Part 95 compliant.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 04-22-2016, 7:27 PM

So, here's the rule regarding MURS and other services in the same radio. It's not a mistake or error on the part of the FCC, the rule was put in there for a reason. The FCC learned their lesson about mixing licensed and licensed by rule services in the same radio when they let the combination GMRS/FRS radios hit the market.

Agree or not, them's the rules:

95.655 Frequency capability.
(d) No transmitter will be certificated for use in MURS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in 95.632.

95.632 MURS transmitter frequencies.
(a) The MURS transmitter channel frequencies are 151.820 MHz, 151.880 MHz, 151.940 MHz, 154.570 MHz, 154.600 MHz.

I know, people are going to do whatever they want with the radio. They'll program in MURS, FRS, GMRS, Local PD/Fire, etc. I get it.
However, marketing a radio in a way that is in direct violation of the rules probably isn't a good idea. We know the FCC is doing a poor job on enforcement, however that doesn't mean we should just ignore the rules and do whatever we want.

If the radio is not specifically type accepted by the FCC (for real, not a fake certification from China) under 95J, then it is not legal for use on MURS.
Old 04-22-2016, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km6yh View Post
The new certification is: 2ACK8TR505D.
That ID, or variations of it, are not turning up anything remotely appropriate on the FCC OET page. Can you try checking that ID and see if there is a typo?

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm
Old 04-22-2016, 8:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
That ID, or variations of it, are not turning up anything remotely appropriate on the FCC OET page. Can you try checking that ID and see if there is a typo?

I found four submissions from them, but didn't find a copy of the actual grant in that database. Note that the status is listed as "GI" which means "Grant Issued". For some reason the FCC didn't publish the Grant form here. Do note that separate filings were made for the MURS and FRS/GMRS frequencies.

However, all four Grants are shown here:
https://fccid.io/2ACK8TR505D

Last edited by N4GIX; 04-22-2016 at 8:26 PM..
Old 04-22-2016, 8:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post

I don't know what you did wrong. I just looked up just the grantee code 2ACK8 by itself and the first thing at the top of the list is 2ACK8TR505D.
Old 04-22-2016, 8:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't know if these links will work...
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/repor...id=2ACK8TR505D
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/repor...id=2ACK8TR505D
Old 04-22-2016, 10:50 PM

I must have been putting it in wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

Those FCC links do work.

I'm willing to bet that if they'd filed a single application for 95A and 95J together, it would have been rejected.

95J is pretty clear about having non-MURS frequencies in the radio. My personal opinion is that the vendor filed these separately knowing they wouldn't get approved together on a single grant. Advertising the radio as being GMRS & MURS at the same time likely wouldn't agree with the rules, but I won't go into that. Still seems fishy, verging on dishonest. Not impressed with manufacturers/vendors that work to circumvent the rules to make a buck.

1.1 watts on GMRS isn't very impressive. That's on the level of what many of the bubble pack radios do.
10K3F3E? A bit narrower than 11.25, but probably works fine. Considering that most GMRS repeaters are still running 25KHz wide band, I suspect this isn't a very good performer for repeated GMRS.