• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BaoFeng UV-82 opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to start using the GMRS/ FRS frequencies.

What is the general feeling of the BaoFeng UV-82? Good, bad, etc.

Does it have channel scan in it ?

nd5y

They are basically just a UV-5R with a better speaker and dual a PTT rocker switch.They have the same poor receiver performance and slow scan speed. You can only add and remove channels from the scan list by using programming software. They are also not Part 95 certified and not legal for GMRS, FRS or MURS use

Jaxco

They are far more stable than the uv5r, f8hp, etc. I have all 3, plus bf888... UV82 is a better product but still cheap chi-com garbage.

Very much illegal for all 3 you mentioned, MURS, FRS, GMRS.

Don't break the law, obey it - but try to change it legally.

treborx

I have been very happy with the 82, but I am not able to measure the receiver performance compared to Japanese radios. Unfortunately the Japanese radios won't transmit out of Ham bands, so I don't consider them more expensive and better. They are just more expensive and less capable.

Brasso

Premium Subscriber
They don't transmit out of Ham bands because it's not legal and the Japanese companies obey the laws.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Many of the so called called ham radios will transmit outside of the legal bands with very simple mods. Don't blame a radio for illegal use, blame the operator.

treborx

They don't transmit out of Ham bands because it's not legal and the Japanese companies obey the laws.
It is legal to make a radio that is Part-90 and Part-97 complaint. The $55 Baofang UV-80C for example can transmit on both commercial/public-safety and Amateur bands legally. So it is frustrating to have far more expensive Japanese radios lack this ability.

Brasso

Premium Subscriber
They don't lack the ability. It's illegal. The Chinese radio's that "claim" to be compliant are NOT. The frustrating part is that the FCC is ignoring them instead of charging them.

Brasso

Premium Subscriber
Basically they are stating that they are only asking for "illegal" acceptance so that it can be used by government exempted agencies and it's agents.

Voyager

It is legal to make a radio that is Part-90 and Part-97 complaint.

It might not be technically possible, but you can use any Part 90 radio on any Part 97 frequencies legally, so it does not need the Part 97 TA.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
It might not be technically possible, but you can use any Part 90 radio on any Part 97 frequencies legally, so it does not need the Part 97 TA.

Not sure what you mean not technically possible, but MANY commercial/public safety radios are readily programmed to Part 97. It used to require a software trick or a hardware mod (changing components), but most modern VHF part 90 radios are actually now 136-174 in one band split. UHF is often 400-470, 430-470, etc etc. Some require a software "key" to let them be wideband on ham freqs, but other manufs have already built the ham ranges into the wideband exceptions that would otherwise apply to part 90 channels.

That is legal (using a part 90 radio on part 97 amateur). In fact, there are many hams who use older (and some brand new!) public safety radios for ham use.

I'm not referring to using the inexpensive Chinese radios, I'm talking about Motorola, Harris, Thales, Vertex, etc.

edit: Re-reading your post, maybe you meant not technically possible as in some radios might not be able to work in the ham bands...I first interpreted it as a more general statement about the feasibility.

Last edited:

KK4SGF

Many folks are buying the Baofeng HT's to use when hunting/hiking etc on the FRS or GMRS freqs because the radios have better Tx due to them putting out 5W vice half a watt but.....doing that is illiegal. IMO these radios and should be outlawed for sale in the U.S. as they are advertised because it is a lie!!! These are NOT just ham radios. They TX on Gov freqs 148-149M, and a very long list of others that are far from the ham bands. Some folks know this when they buy them but others do not and could cause some serious problems if Tx'ing on one of those freqs like EMS, Local Fire Dept etc...those that have not gone to higher bands yet. They can also cause problems with legit GMRS repeaters if used illegally. They should be OUTLAWED (except for the two I own) Hee Hee.... But seriously, I have my general ham ticket and am very clear where my band plans start and end and even if the FCC is sleeping these days only a nut would Tx on any illegal freq. Now monitoring ONLY....that is a different story!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Agree. At least licensed amateur radio operators should know the the legalities of proper use.

n1das

Agree. At least licensed amateur radio operators should know the the legalities of proper use.

Agreed. What robertmac said.

Legit Part 90 radios can be used legally on the ham bands in the USA by licensed hams. Ham equipment cannot be used legally on Part 90 services or Part 95 services, even if the operator is licensed for those services. Ham equipment is not type accepted for use in those services.

There actually is no Part 97 type acceptance. Commercially made ham equipment need only meet Part 15 to be offered for sale or imported into the USA. The Part 15 requirement is for the receiver so any local oscillator emissions don't cause harmful interference and to enforce the (unconstitutional IMHO) cell phone frequency censorship under the illusion of privacy protection for uninformed cell phone users. While today's cell phones are all digital, the cell phone frequency censorship still remains. The receiver in commercially made ham gear counts as a scanning receiver under Part 15 rules and regs.

Ham equipment does not requires any transmitter type acceptance but "best engineering practice" is required to be used in the design and construction. That's why hams are allowed to build their own transmitters.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.