• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My wishlist for seperate GMRS and MURS transceivers, with a seperate scanner section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

Take a look at the following link:

:: Uniden Australia ::

That's a remote head mobile UHF CB transceiver with a seperate 60 channel 400-512 MHz scanning receiver, in one case, that Uniden manufactured for the Australian market.

I would like to see Uniden or Whistler (or almost anyone else) manufacture similar mobile, and portable, radios for the MURS and the GMRS for the USA market.

In addition to many of the features of the UH-015SX, a MURS radio would have, on the transceiver side:
5 channels
2 watts TPO
50 CTCSS with split tone and auto decode
104 DCS with split code(?) and auto decode
(I don't know if you can set seperate DCS codes for transmit/receive, or set it for transmit only, and receive in CSQ like you can with CTCSS in some radios.)
16-key DTMF keypad for SELCALL
BIIS-1200/MDC-1200
Optionally, incorporate both analog FM and a digital transmission mode (P25? DMR? NXDN? C4FM? D-STAR DV? Something else?) according to whichever manufacturer decides to make this wishlist a reality, whatever is capable of coexisting with analog FM, and whichever modes the FCC rules & regulations allow for the MURS.

On the scanning receiver side, it would:
Receive 150.800-174 MHz minimum, up to 108-174 MHz maximum.
Have all of the capabilities of a BCD-996XT or GRE PSR-600 (or equivalent), at a minimum, within the above frequency range.

A GMRS version would have, on the transceiver side:
All 22 channels
Channels 8-14 *would be RECEIVE ONLY* by firmware
Channels 15-22 would have one button talk-around/repeater capability
5-10-20-40 watt TPO on channels 15-22
A menu setting for channels 1-7 so that you can set and forget the TPO according to the gain of your antenna, minus the loss of your coax, so as to abide by the FCC's 5 watt ERP limit on these channels
50 CTCSS with split tone and auto decode
104 DCS with split code and auto decode (see note above in regards to split capability)
16-key DTMF keypad for SELCALL
BIIS-1200/MDC-1200 (If legal in the GMRS?)

On the scanning receiver side, it would:
Receive 450-512 MHz minimum, up 380-512 MHz maximum
Have all of the capabilities of the BCD-996XT or GRE PSR-600 (or equivalent), at a minimum, within the above frequency range

Handhelds would have all of the capabilities of a BCD-396XT or a GRE PSR-500 (or equivalent) at a minimum.

(Being a GRE PSR-500 owner myself, and not owning or having any experience with the Unidens, I'm leaning towards a GRE/Whistler style of scanner, personally.)

As I understand it, if a manufacturer limits a scanner to a limited range, it should reduce birdies, images, etc., versus having the 25-1300 MHz coverage of scanners today. They can achieve better performance out of a limited range receiver, than they can with a wide range receiver.

With the MURS radio not being capable of transmitting outside of the 5 approved channels, and the GMRS radio not being capable of transmitting on the FRS channels 8-14, as long as all the other technical specifications are met, there shouldn't be any certification problems. The radios would be similar to a dual-band radio, except that it would have a transceiver on one side, and a seperate scanning receiver on the other.

I personally would use the scanner side of the radio to monitor public safety interoperability, business/industrial low power/itinerant, Marine VHF, railroad, as well as select VHF Air channels in the MURS radio's scanner section; and public safety interoperability, business/industrial low power/itinerants, and whatever else I decide on in the GMRS radio's scanner section. This would free up memory space, and increase the scanning speed, by not having to devote space to them, in my primary scanner(s).

What do you think?

John
Peoria, AZ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.