• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My walkie-talkie recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGClips

OK, so I've sold my walkies after getting my ham license but some other friends got curious about these little things also, so asked me, the "expert" :D :D :D ... to recommend them something. First of, I told them that I'm no expert just because I've got my license, but I can give them advice since I've had several of these in the past. Of course, I've tried to convince them to get their ham Tech. license instead, but after checking out the study guide, they categorically said no to the idea because it's just too much and complicated for them, so here is what I picked:

My considerations were:
- Inexpensive.
- Good features.
- Relatively durable.
- Highest possible output power.
- AA battery option.

With all that in mind I've recommended them the Midland GXT1050VP4 walkie-talkies.
Midland GXT1050VP4 2-Way Compact Communication GXT1050VP4MID B&H

I know there are later and probably better versions, but they don't offer AA option and based upon my own walkie experiences, the stock batteries are not so good, break down after a few months of use or just stop taking charge altogether, and the charger base is also pretty junkie, which is why I never used them myself, threw them out and always used AAs instead, which lasted much longer and were easy to recharge without a stupid base.

Though I've mostly used Motorolas and I never had a Midland, based upon the features, like full 5 watt power, I think this was the best I could recommend them for the price. And I told them right away to forget about the 36 Mile range thing, however, in line of sight with not much obstruction, especially out on the open water, they can expect several miles easy, but in the city, a mile or two at best.

Anyone has experience with THIS particular model, maybe comparison with Motorola walkies, and the best range with the 5 watt output and such? My walkies only had under 2 watts but performed very nicely actually, so I would expect these Midland units to deliver at least the same performance or better hopefully for these guys. I wouldn't want to disappoint them with my advice now, that I'm the "expert" and all.. :D :D :D

Thanks.

Last edited:

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
The frequencies on the GMRS service

require a license. Just saying. Also how did that radio come up with 50 channels???
The total for FRS and GMRS is only 30 (iirc). And that's counting the repeater input freqs.
(Seven FRS are shared with GMRS (channel 1 thro 7), and the other 7 are FRS only.)
You listed the things needed to help select what handie-talkie to consider; that was a good list to go by. And you are correct, forget about that outrageous 36 miles claim! One half a watt doing that?!?! lol

MrGClips

Yes, of course, I told them about GMRS license requirement, how to get it and all, and that's OK with them. It's for one family if I understand it right, so all of them can use these things, even several of them if they buy more, under one license. They were very happy to hear that, and the fact that it takes no examination of any sort like ham.

I think the extra channels are pre-programmed ones, but not entirely sure myself. If they buy these, I'll ask them to bring them over so I can check them out.

My last walkies were the Motorola MR355R, not as much power than these ones have, but I could get a mile in the city with them, so I'm hopeful the guys will be happy with the 5 watt performance. :)

Ps: ND5Y - thanks for the link! Just as I thought, the extras are pre-programmed channels with privacy codes embedded. :)

Last edited:

KC4RAF

Ah, a Midland thing.

There's still ONLY 30 actual frequencies for FRS & GMRS.
As quoted:
"Midland has started marketing "Extra Channels" on several of their radios. These extra channels are simply existing FRS/GMRS frequencies with hard coded tones and low power on the FRS-only channels."

MrGClips

There's still ONLY 30 actual frequencies for FRS & GMRS.
As quoted:
"Midland has started marketing "Extra Channels" on several of their radios. These extra channels are simply existing FRS/GMRS frequencies with hard coded tones and low power on the FRS-only channels."

Yes of course, I know. Actually, most only have the 22 channels because very few incorporate the repeater function. I guess, this "50 channel" is just a marketing trick to try and sell something extra without actually providing anything extra. :D

Meanwhile: I've got the radios right here because they asked me to figure it out, so I can teach them later how to use these the most simple way. But I don't know this brand at all and I have to study the manual first. But I can see that these are completely different from the ones I used to have.

But here are my first impressions as I'm playing with them as I write:
- These feel thicker, bulkier than the Motorola, which were slicker and nicer design.
- I'm used to have the NOAA weather with a dedicated button, I can't see it here. Have to check the manual. :(
- The menus are different and confusing. I don't know how to select a privacy code here, which were very easy at the Motorola.
- OK, I've found the Weather broadcast. It's the Menu button, I have to hold it for about 5 seconds, but I'm not receiving any NOAA, nothing's coming thru. Now I'm standing at the window, finally it came in, but with lots of static. The motorola did NOT have this at the window. The reception was MUCH better with that. :(
- Using the menu in the Weather mode, I turned on the Weather alert. Now a cloud sign is blinking constantly after returning to channel mode. On the Motorola there was just a simple sign, but not blinking. This is irritating. I'm going to turn this off.
- The belt-clip solution is different. This is the "regular" hard clip, the Motorola had the flexible, easy to unclip from the belt type solution. I think that was better, but I guess it's just personal preference.
- There is only 1 PTT button, the Motorola had the High and Low Power options in a dual-button solution, BUT I think THIS one is more practical, because I kept pressing the High on the Motorola even if I didn't want to.
- OK, now I'm trying to remove one of the AAs from the "hidden" compartment, but it won't come out. STUCK! How the heck am I suppose to take out that damn battery? Let's see the other one. That's stuck too! Fantastic design! They should just slide out, but BOTH are stuck! :( OK, I'll deal with them later.
- There is no battery-remove-band in these. The motorola had that inside, so you just pulled on that little thing and removed all the AAs nice and easy. So the Motorola design is better again.
- I can't figure out the menu items (after all these years using walkies :( ), so I'm gonna have to read the entire manual later. But as far as I can tell, I can't see Repeater feature, not as if people would actually use that. But still, it should be incorporated. Some items I can guess, but don't know for sure.
- It has 10 different call voices/noises + 5 animal, if anybody cares for that. I will recommend them to be turned off, but they can be fun, so its up to the owners' preferences.
- I can't remove the belt-clip from one of them. It's stuck completely. The other was very hard to remove also. The Motorola's used to be easy. Damn, this thing really stuck and the release hatch doesn't work! :(
- The ear-set includes a boom microphone sort of thing, the Motorola's was a simple cellphone-type push button with the earpiece. This one looks more fancy but I'm not sure if it's better or not.
- The battery compartment door is a push-to-close solution here, on the motorola it was a simple click-in automatically solution, but maybe it's because of the weather-sealing. (not submersible though, only capable of surviving a splash or light rain)
- Where is the little flash light? My motorola used to have that built into the bottom. Damn, no flashlight. :(

... well, so far, I can tell that the Motorola's design and handling is MUCH better! And the reception was significantly better too, as far as the NOAA weather broadcast is concerned. But this one has some sort of "group" option with individual calling feature, which can be interesting, but I don't know how that works just yet. I think the Motorola's menu is easier to figure out, at least for me. So, unless the transmission power of about 3 X of the Motorola can compensate in these Midlands for everything, then the Motorola would come out on top in my book, hands down.

I'll be back later with update if I can figure out the features, but now I go and try to blast the batteries out of those hidden compartments where they got stuck! This is just ridiculous! :(

Ps: NO mini-usb connection on the side either to charge the stock rechargeable batteries. :(

Last edited:

MrGClips

UPDATE:

As it turns out, the regular non-rechargeable batteries fit in fine, but all types of rechargeable get stuck! This is a MASSIVE design flaw that is an absolute deal-breaker! I just about had enough "fun" picking out batteries from them while they get stuck one after another, so I don't even bother with the confusing "Group" features and such.

I already talked to my buddies about my findings and my gigantic disappointment, so I recommended them to take these back to the store and either pick a Motorola instead, or request a refund, because this particular Midland model is a complete and utter disaster as is!

My next recommendation to them will be something like these Motorolas:
Motorola Talkabout MS355R 2-Way Radio Pair (Camouflage) MS355R

These Midland walkies looked great on paper, but delivered junk in actual usage!

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM AT ALL!!! :(

... but at least my buddies didn't have to find all this out on their own, the hard way.

Kinlau

I have the Midlands after using Motorola units for about 6 years, and the Midlands are much better. The Midlands will do both ctcss and dcs, which the Motorolas cannot. My old Moto's had a rotary volume/on/off switch, which the GXT1000's also have. As for NOAA, I found both my Moto's and Midlands to stink, I use my Baofeng instead.

The GXT1000's also take 4 AA's, which can last forever, but much heavier than my old Moto's.

As for menus, they're all crappy. You need a large screen like the uniden's to have actual text rather than some strange symbols. Just have to get used to them.

MrGClips

I have the Midlands after using Motorola units for about 6 years, and the Midlands are much better. The Midlands will do both ctcss and dcs, which the Motorolas cannot. My old Moto's had a rotary volume/on/off switch, which the GXT1000's also have. As for NOAA, I found both my Moto's and Midlands to stink, I use my Baofeng instead.

The GXT1000's also take 4 AA's, which can last forever, but much heavier than my old Moto's.

As for menus, they're all crappy. You need a large screen like the uniden's to have actual text rather than some strange symbols. Just have to get used to them.

For me, this was my very first and very last personal encounter with the Midlands brand, and I have no intention of buying anything from them ever, just by what I've seen. You can tell a lot about a company when you see their product. It's a summary of their design, logistics, operational details, practicality, usability, services, features and such all in one that reflects the mentality of the makers. So when I see such fundamental design flaw in their product, I draw the conclusion about the entire brand.

Surely I've never ever had a walkie-talkie before that swallows up the rechargeable batteries like this to the point where I had to, physically force them out of their compartment! This is as bad as it can get! :D

Yes, I'm aware that Baofengs, just like any dual-band VHF/UHF handheld radios (or quad band and such), can operate on the GMRS frequencies, however, as far as I can tell, amateur radios, by definition, should not be used for those services since they operate on different bands.

I feel just like you and many others that it's kind o' pointless and senseless since these radios can operate with full power compliance, on those channels, but still, it is what it is till the FCC changes the rules, which I hope they will! That would simplify it a great deal, since we could use our radios for GMRS and MURS too with proper power settings and separate license when required.

But my friends over here, for whom I've recommended the walkies, have no interest in buying a ham radio, only want a simple pair of walkie-talkies. They don't want to take tests, don't want to get into trouble by accidentally talking on official channels, don't want any hassle, only a simple communication device.

Unfortunately, this Midland model just isn't going to be the one for them.

Kinlau

Surely I've never ever had a walkie-talkie before that swallows up the rechargeable batteries like this to the point where I had to, physically force them out of their compartment! This is as bad as it can get! :D

Yes, I'm aware that Baofengs, just like any dual-band VHF/UHF handheld radios (or quad band and such), can operate on the GMRS frequencies, however, as far as I can tell, amateur radios, by definition, should not be used for those services since they operate on different bands.

I feel just like you and many others that it's kind o' pointless and senseless since these radios can operate with full power compliance, on those channels, but still, it is what it is till the FCC changes the rules, which I hope they will! That would simplify it a great deal, since we could use our radios for GMRS and MURS too with proper power settings and separate license when required.

For the GXT1000, some rechargeables are fatter than others. My Eneloop 2500mh are too fat, but my regular 2000mh white Eneloops fit just fine.

You'll notice I did not talk about using my Baofeng for gmrs/frs, I have my uvb5 programmed as a scanner on NOAA/WRX and other local emergency channels with transmission turned off for all those channels.

MrGClips

For the GXT1000, some rechargeables are fatter than others. My Eneloop 2500mh are too fat, but my regular 2000mh white Eneloops fit just fine.

You'll notice I did not talk about using my Baofeng for gmrs/frs, I have my uvb5 programmed as a scanner on NOAA/WRX and other local emergency channels with transmission turned off for all those channels.

I've tried 3 different brands: Eneloop Pro, Duracell and Energizer, but ALL of them got stuck. Only the regular non-rechargeable "skinny" batteries worked, but that just not good enough.

I didn't accuse you of violating rules and such, I only talked in general terms. I myself have a Baofeng (BF-f9 V2+), which I like a lot by the way, and I couldn't care less if anyone has a problem with that brand, because it does everything I need and I didn't have to spend a fortune to get into ham. In fact, probably I'm going to get a second one later, or wait for an upgraded model with even better features (hopefully). :)

But back to this topic, I really gave my full confidence to this Midland model, because it DID look good on paper, but the battery issue is an absurd thing. In fact, in my opinion, this model, and all such models with this problem, should be recalled and pulled from the shelves all together! It's just a flawed product. :(

For all other walkie users; as a new ham, I encourage you all to get your ham licenses, because it's worth it! Even the most basic ham handheld is better than any of the FRS/GMRS walkies by far! Much better! :)

KC4RAF

Man, that operation manual for the Midland

is scattered brained. I downloaded it last night to give you a hand if you needed. Anyway, what I found interesting was the "whisper" mode. It would transmit your voice signal high when you would whisper into the unit. First time I've ever seen that in a transceiver. I suspect that it's employed in other brand maybe.

blackbelt76

Premium Subscriber
MrGClips;2473924 My considerations were: - Inexpensive. - Good features. - Relatively durable. - Highest possible output power. - AA battery option. [/QUOTE said:
The word "inexpensive" is relative.

HT's for (fun) that cost under $100 for a pair is fine.

If one plans on a hiking expedition etc... where rough handling, changing climate etc are to be expected, I would NOT make such a purchase, and I haven't.

The GMRS/FRS radios are toys, meant for fun; not serious communication where reliability is required.

Cheap radios aren't good, good radios aren't cheap.

PHRadio

UPDATE:

I already talked to my buddies about my findings and my gigantic disappointment, so I recommended them to take these back to the store and either pick a Motorola instead, or request a refund, because this particular Midland model is a complete and utter disaster as is!

My next recommendation to them will be something like these Motorolas:
Motorola Talkabout MS355R 2-Way Radio Pair (Camouflage) MS355R

These Midland walkies looked great on paper, but delivered junk in actual usage!

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM AT ALL!!! :(

... but at least my buddies didn't have to find all this out on their own, the hard way.

Did you try them, or just look at the menus and the batteries? he reason I ask, is that I just bought some, and found them to be nice. I needed a pair of bubble pack radios for my wife and I, and first ordered the Motorola MT352R. They were okay, but one radio had very low volume and needed to be returned. They performed okay otherwise. I decided to order the Midland gxt1000vp4 radios before returning the Motorolas and we found we liked them better. They seem to perform better, and were more clear.

We were able to talk to each other as I was in the car, with her in the house from 2.5 miles away, straight line, and also 3.16 miles if she stepped out of the house. This is in Southern Missouri, Branson, with the hills and buildings.

The Motorolas were able to pick up a bit at the same locations, but there was much more static and the signal was choppy so we could not carry on a conversation. The Midlands could. That range is more than we expected int his area anyway with this type of radio, so we were pleasantly surprised. We also got accustomed to the menu quickly.

All in all, they are nice radios.

MrGClips

Did you try them, or just look at the menus and the batteries? he reason I ask, is that I just bought some, and found them to be nice. I needed a pair of bubble pack radios for my wife and I, and first ordered the Motorola MT352R. They were okay, but one radio had very low volume and needed to be returned. They performed okay otherwise. I decided to order the Midland gxt1000vp4 radios before returning the Motorolas and we found we liked them better. They seem to perform better, and were more clear.

We were able to talk to each other as I was in the car, with her in the house from 2.5 miles away, straight line, and also 3.16 miles if she stepped out of the house. This is in Southern Missouri, Branson, with the hills and buildings.

The Motorolas were able to pick up a bit at the same locations, but there was much more static and the signal was choppy so we could not carry on a conversation. The Midlands could. That range is more than we expected int his area anyway with this type of radio, so we were pleasantly surprised. We also got accustomed to the menu quickly.

All in all, they are nice radios.

Yes, I've tried a couple of things, but the AA battery issue was a clear deal-breaker, after which there wasn't much to test, or rather, waste time with.

The Midland is much more powerful with its 5 watt output compared to the Motorola's under 2 watt power, but even the reception was mediocre of the Midland compared to the Motorola, and it lacks in other areas as well, like I've mentioned above. (no flash-light, no usb, horrible menu system, bulky, no repeater channels + the disastrous AA rechargeable issue)

So, based upon all the negatives, ANY of the current Motorola walkies are better and provide a LOT more in overall handling and operation, and the higher output power of the Midland is just simply not enough of a reason to put up with all of its negatives.

At least not for me, but if you're happy with them, then you should keep them. I really gave my best intentions to Midland, but I expected a lot better and a lot more from it, which made my disappointment even greater.

PS: If Motorola pumped up the power to full 5 watts in an updated unit with a few extra features, like FM radio, GPS and a watch built in, that would make a fantastic little walkie for sure. :)

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber

The FCC doesn't need to change any rules for that to happen. All that is necessary is for the manufacturer to build a radio that meets the spec, and then get it type accepted.

For all other walkie users; as a new ham, I encourage you all to get your ham licenses, because it's worth it! Even the most basic ham handheld is better than any of the FRS/GMRS walkies by far! Much better! :)

There is plenty of commercial quality gear for GMRS. Maybe you should stop buying bubble pack radios and expecting them to perform like commercial gear.

That being said, I have 6 or 8 of those Midlands for handing out at the ranch to some people who aren't exactly radio experts, and I've been very happy with the performance. I personally can't stand Motorola. I've never had a good experience with them, but I've only used commercial stuff once. Midland makes a lot more than the GXT 1000.

Delta

MrGClips

The FCC doesn't need to change any rules for that to happen. All that is necessary is for the manufacturer to build a radio that meets the spec, and then get it type accepted.

There is plenty of commercial quality gear for GMRS. Maybe you should stop buying bubble pack radios and expecting them to perform like commercial gear.

That being said, I have 6 or 8 of those Midlands for handing out at the ranch to some people who aren't exactly radio experts, and I've been very happy with the performance. I personally can't stand Motorola. I've never had a good experience with them, but I've only used commercial stuff once. Midland makes a lot more than the GXT 1000.

Delta

- As far as I know, FCC determines the band limits and rules for each band group, so the manufacturers can only build radios accordingly if they wish to comply and legally sell their radios.

- I stopped buying bubble-backs years ago actually, and I have no expectations from cheap walkies to perform like commercial gear. But I wouldn't recommend a family to buy several pairs of commercial radios for thousands either, just to take with them on trips and such, so these little walkies are the only reasonable inexpensive alternatives for them, and most other people.

- It was the GXT1050VP4 actually and not the 1000, but yes, I have checked out many Midlands before recommending this model, but some were way overpriced and others lacked the AA option, so this was the only inexpensive unit that seemed to serve the purpose.

I've had some issues with Motorola as well, but none of my encounters with them was as bad as this one with Midland. But different people prefer different brands and that's just normal, so whatever works for you is the best obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.