• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Repeater Book Adding GMRS?

Is Repeater Book Featuring GMRS Repeaters a Good Idea?

• Yes

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blastco2

Why not... I have both licenses as do many others. It would be nice to look that info up in one spot.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

I'm the Ohio admin. I'm kind of on the fence. Fortunately, I carry both licenses, so I'll be handling all that for Ohio. We are likely to have a more up to date list, since the update system is easy and instant. We'll have to see how it goes, once it's up and running.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I do as well. However, I look at it from the view of giving hams who believe they have a right to GMRS easy access. I don't think it belongs now that repeater book made the decision to list internationally (GMRS in that application is only applicable to the U.S.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

I do as well. However, I look at it from the view of giving hams who believe they have a right to GMRS easy access. I don't think it belongs now that repeater book made the decision to list internationally (GMRS in that application is only applicable to the U.S.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, the GMRS module will be separate from the amateur module. There won't be any mixing of frequencies. That's how the template is set up now. I'm not sure how he's going to set up how updates can be submitted. I would hope you'd have to register a GMRS call sign to gain update capabilities. He's only asking for GMRS licensees to assist in the project. I think it is safe to assume that there won't be any "ham interference" in a GMRS service related project. Many admins hold a GMRS license also.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Well, the GMRS module will be separate from the amateur module. There won't be any mixing of frequencies. That's how the template is set up now. I'm not sure how he's going to set up how updates can be submitted. I would hope you'd have to register a GMRS call sign to gain update capabilities. He's only asking for GMRS licensees to assist in the project. I think it is safe to assume that there won't be any "ham interference" in a GMRS service related project. Many admins hold a GMRS license also.

Isn't this essentially a duplication of MyGMRS.com?

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
That web site is apparently for GMRS license holders only. Others might be interested in the information as it does not seem to be available elsewhere. I used to be part of a small network set up here in the NW and it was nice to have reciprocal use of repeaters through its users. Long gone now, if such actual networks existed any more (as opposed to kids using the walkies) I'd be inclined to listen.

KD8DVR

Isn't this essentially a duplication of MyGMRS.com?
Well, this will be user editable. Submissions are approved quickly. Admins are selected for each state, to assist in verification. I'm aware of nonexistent repeaters on mygmrs. There is no verification mechanism in place.

Mygmrs is an excellent resource. GMRS licensees are the only persons given access to most resources. That keeps discussion at a high quality level.

Anyhow, there exists several repeater databases. The rb owner now wants to allow a convenient access for both services in one place. Also, data are kept current, where many other sources May or may not ever be updated.

And...it's free [emoji3]

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't think it's a good idea, my personal opinion.

Amateur and GMRS are two different services. Yes, there are those that are licensed for both services. Trouble is, there are a fair number of amateurs that don't understand what GMRS is, that it requires a separate license, and that it has different rules. I've heard amateurs using hacked 70cm gear for use on GMRS, just treating it as an extension of the 70cm band, using their amateur call signs, etc.

If they did do this and it was part of an amateur radio repeater guide, clear indication that an amateur license of -ANY- grade is not valid in any way, shape or form, for use on GMRS. Specific directions on how to get a GMRS license should be included as well as the type acceptance rules and a clear statement that clipping a wire or unsoldering a resistor or diode in an amateur radio is not acceptable by FCC rules. Stating the FCC penalties sounds like a good idea too.

KD8DVR

They will be on a separate branch so as not to be intermingled with the ham stuff. Regardless, I understand your points. The front page should have the appropriate warnings. I will let the power that be about any concerns. He is looking for input and this is good stuff.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
They will be on a separate branch so as not to be intermingled with the ham stuff. Regardless, I understand your points. The front page should have the appropriate warnings. I will let the power that be about any concerns. He is looking for input and this is good stuff.

It might be best to have appropriate warnings and info for both areas; amateur and GMRS.

Project25_MASTR

Well, this will be user editable. Submissions are approved quickly. Admins are selected for each state, to assist in verification. I'm aware of nonexistent repeaters on mygmrs. There is no verification mechanism in place.

Mygmrs is an excellent resource. GMRS licensees are the only persons given access to most resources. That keeps discussion at a high quality level.

Anyhow, there exists several repeater databases. The rb owner now wants to allow a convenient access for both services in one place. Also, data are kept current, where many other sources May or may not ever be updated.

And...it's free [emoji3]

I'm aware of more non-existent repeaters on Repeater Book...and they are a ***** get off the listings (because the owners have all SK'd in the last x amount of years).

However, anyone can list on Repeater Book. On MyGMRS the owner is the only one who can list (which also has the benefit of the admin's being able to directly contact about a "ghost system". How will repeater book handle accessing the system owner information for people to request permission for usage? It can't as it is currently setup (kinda defeats the purpose of having a mobile app).

Just not a good idea.

KD8DVR

I'm aware of more non-existent repeaters on Repeater Book...and they are a ***** get off the listings (because the owners have all SK'd in the last x amount of years).

However, anyone can list on Repeater Book. On MyGMRS the owner is the only one who can list (which also has the benefit of the admin's being able to directly contact about a "ghost system". How will repeater book handle accessing the system owner information for people to request permission for usage? It can't as it is currently setup (kinda defeats the purpose of having a mobile app).

Just not a good idea.

If there are nonexistent repeaters on repeaterbook, why not submit an edit? In the box, select, the appropriate option to get rid of it. and an Admin will zap it. If the Admin is NOT taking care of this, private message me the state and issues you are having, and I can let Garrett know. (If you are in Ohio, I'm the bad boy, then.... But I clean my plate within a few hours of submission, if not sooner.)

The mobile app is updated every 2 weeks or so. The database (on the mobile apps) isn't realtime, due to app store restrictions somehow.

Since repeaterbook is largely handled by Admins that take one or more states, the verification process should be more effective than any other database.

There are a lot of "unknown" systems... some in more states than others. I actually went county by county and have looked up contact info. I've also taken a few drives. Still, there are many to account for.

Since most amateur systems were loaded into the USA from coordination council data, we have to clean up their messes. This isn't too much of a complaint, since it is interesting to do a little detective work.

KD8DVR

I just posted some of the concerns to the admin list, so they have been aired. The owner of RB wants input, so everyone who comments positive or negative is a big help.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
As the one of the admin's for Alberta, I can say it should be separate.

but thats because in Canada GMRS repeaters are not allowed.... It would be servicing the US only as opposed to HAM repeaters that you can take with you and use wherever you go.

I would suggest having a separate site using the same format, different database.

Project25_MASTR

I just posted some of the concerns to the admin list, so they have been aired. The owner of RB wants input, so everyone who comments positive or negative is a big help.

If you're a MyGMRS member, check out the thread in the private discussion. Poll results are opposite of here. A lot of the guys who frequent that site are also system owners...

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Repeaterbook adding GMRS listings, my thoughts.

I`ll give ya my thoughts from the view of a listener of GMRS (no desire to get a license, i already have enough radios thanx :D), and personally i think this is kinda neat...from a LISTENING standpoint only, i do understand what manner of can o` worms this could potentially open if it`s not dealt with by those with the proper smarts, get this right and it`ll be a big convenience, both for users of GMRS and folks like me that just want to locate a repeater in whatever location i`m at and give it a listen, but get this wrong and the whole thingy could fly off the tracks, and i`m sure we don`t want that :). So that said, is this a good idea? Mabey, for the reasons i gave. Bad idea? potentially, again for the reasons i mentioned. One thought that just popped into my noggin would be to have the GMRS listing ether one, set out from the ham listings on the app, secured behind a password/username (likely the licensee`s callsign), or two, have the GMRS listing as a seperate update, agaon requiring a username/password to obtain. N9NRA

Project25_MASTR

I`ll give ya my thoughts from the view of a listener of GMRS (no desire to get a license, i already have enough radios thanx :D), and personally i think this is kinda neat...from a LISTENING standpoint only, i do understand what manner of can o` worms this could potentially open if it`s not dealt with by those with the proper smarts, get this right and it`ll be a big convenience, both for users of GMRS and folks like me that just want to locate a repeater in whatever location i`m at and give it a listen, but get this wrong and the whole thingy could fly off the tracks, and i`m sure we don`t want that :). So that said, is this a good idea? Mabey, for the reasons i gave. Bad idea? potentially, again for the reasons i mentioned. One thought that just popped into my noggin would be to have the GMRS listing ether one, set out from the ham listings on the app, secured behind a password/username (likely the licensee`s callsign), or two, have the GMRS listing as a seperate update, agaon requiring a username/password to obtain. N9NRA

That's kind of how the MyGMRS directory is setup. You can view repeaters without logging in (which has to be validated with an active GMRS license) but you can't see tones. In all honesty though, majority of GMRS systems are running PL. There's only 8 usable pairs. So is it really worth having a multitude of resources? Especially if you are required to obtain permission to use the system ahead of time to begin with?

Status
Not open for further replies.