• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Repeater Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I just spent some time at "Radio Mobile Online" creating a rough coverage map for my planned GMRS repeater. So far, it looks encouraging. Of course, this has some conservative assumptions:

Antenna height: 45' (13.7m)
Antenna gain: 6dBi
Antenna type: Omni
Transmitter power: 20 w

Mobile Antenna height: 2m
Mobile Antenna gain 2dBi

Attachments

• WQWU626 Repeater Coverage@40watts.jpg
    WQWU626 Repeater Coverage@40watts.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 890

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I just spent some time at "Radio Mobile Online" creating a rough coverage map for my planned GMRS repeater. So far, it looks encouraging. Of course, this has some conservative assumptions:

Antenna height: 45' (13.7m)

Antenna gain: 6dBi

Antenna type: Omni

Transmitter power: 20 w

Mobile Antenna height: 2m

Mobile Antenna gain 2dBi

Do not forget to include system losses(duplexer/combiner/feed line) they will impact coverage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Do not forget to include system losses(duplexer/combiner/feed line) they will impact coverage.
Oh, I didn't forget. In fact, I took the time to calculate all losses that I could in order to make this as conservative as possible. I just didn't take the time to report all those details here. ;)

I'm also working on another coverage map based on portables... :)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I only posted that as you did not include it in your system description. Figure -6dBd for the portable antenna 'gain'. Even more loss for on belt or on belt, in car.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm also working on another coverage map based on portables... :)

With the non-online version of RM, you can keep one plot, and do another. Yellow and blue work very well. Yellow for mobile and blue for portable. This way you can see both portable and mobile coverage on one plot.

This plot: https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=CA01&ID=111 shows mobile coverage in blue and portable coverage in green(but plotted using yellow. Blue and yellow make green)

mformby

Your mobile receiver sensitivity comes into play here also. It doesn't matter how far your repeater talks if you can't hear it. There is a noise level every where that you have to get over, and in your area it is probably pretty high.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The projection shown in green is assuming at least 1.58 mv signal, the yellow area assumes minimum of 0.5 mv signal.

If I were still living in Kingsville,TX I'd hang the antenna off one of my 500' tower's sidearms. I owned the GESS in southwest Texas. :)

The projection shown in green is assuming at least 1.58 mv signal, the yellow area assumes minimum of 0.5 mv signal.

If I were still living in Kingsville,TX I'd hang the antenna off one of my 500' tower's sidearms. I owned the GESS in southwest Texas. :)

You remember the tower at Port O'Conner hit by the Navy jet in the early 80's?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You remember the tower at Port O'Conner hit by the Navy jet in the early 80's?
I remember that incident, but it was before I had moved to Kingsville and bought the GESS from it's then owner. My main tower was located just a few miles from the massive FCC monitoring station.

Status
Not open for further replies.