• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Max Power if FCC Makes GMRS License-free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutfinski

I understand the FCC has had a proposal under consideration since 2010 that would make GMRS "licensed by rule," in other words with no formal individual licensing. One of the proposals is a 5 watt maximum for all transmitters. If this goes through, will existing licensees be "grandfathered" for the current maximum of 50 watts? Does anyone have any opinions on this issue?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No one knows. Anyone who says they know is pulling your leg.

FCC has been rattling this around for a while. Doesn't seem like much has happened in the last few years. There were lots of comments made by the public, with lots of varying ideas about what should happen. There were lots of suggestions about what "should" happen, but no decision has ever been made by the FCC and I haven't seen/heard anything that suggests they are actively working on it.

If -if- something happens, there will be a lot of discussion. It's clear that the FCC has lost control of GMRS, that happened when they allowed "dual service" radios, FRS and GMRS in the same radio. That blurred the lines between a licensed service and a license by rule service. It's unlikely that the cat will ever be forced back in the bag.

Likely outcome is that FCC will either leave it alone, or institute some sort of gradual migration from what GMRS is now to something watered down and licensed by rule, but I could be wrong.

Serious GMRS users would fight this. Lots of money invested in repeater systems. There are also still "grandfathered" business users on GMRS. Could be we'll see something like MURS, where it's license by rule, but grandfathered commercial users get to stay.

Should be interesting, if it ever happens.

Voyager

Nobody may know, but the history is that they will be grandfathered just as the business users on GMRS were/are grandfathered even though no new business licenses have been issued on GMRS frequencies for decades.

n1das

Well, I am hoping I will be grandfathered so I just applied for a GMRS license.

I hope so too for grandfathering as I have been GMRS licensed since 1992. You can tell I have an old GMRS callsign since it predates the ULS and resembles an old 27MHz Class D Citizens Band callsign back when CB licensing was required many years earlier (1970's and earlier). GMRS was previously known as Class A Citizens Band (aka "UHF CB") back in those days.

Among other things, a benefit of being licensed is that licensing means representation in the eyes of the FCC whenever notices of proposed rule makings are written. License statistics are often cited in the decision making process. "As of <date>, there are <X> licensees in the <Y> radio service..."

Last edited:

Voyager

No your "IDAS" call is stock fcc-issued (IOW, non-vanity) ? Weren't you the lucky one? :D

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
When the fcc deregulates radio services, people do as they wish.... Ok so 1500 on uhf is a bit expensive but just wait....

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
When the fcc deregulates radio services, people do as they wish.... Ok so 1500 on uhf is a bit expensive but just wait....
. Uh, NO. Do you realize what even 100 watts at UHF frequencies would do to your brain cells at close proximity? You do know rf can cause cancer to your brain right?? How DO you think food cooks in your microwave oven?? Do some reading about extreme rf exposure at ultra high and microwave frequencies ... :roll: 73, n9zas

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Ok... I wasnt talking about a melted rubber duck in front of your face... It was just a humorous comment about the trend of the fcc and hobby radio...
If you are going to mess with 1500w on uhf then use a beam on a 100' tower fed with hardline and wrap your radio room in grounded copper mesh before you key up...

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Sadly GMRS is basically unregulated now. I have seen numerous people with 100 watt mobile on GMRS and FRS frequencies. The only people who care are the ones who have a license. It really doesn't matter if they stop charging for the license or not. Nothing will change than it currently is.

gewecke

Banned
Sadly GMRS is basically unregulated now. I have seen numerous people with 100 watt mobile on GMRS and FRS frequencies. The only people who care are the ones who have a license. It really doesn't matter if they stop charging for the license or not. Nothing will change than it currently is.
well that might be the case in your area, but many of us take as much pride in our Gmrs license as we do our Amateur radio license and we tend to self police BOTH bands, so no high power Frs stuff in my area I'm happy to say. :wink: 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Ok... I wasnt talking about a melted rubber duck in front of your face... It was just a humorous comment about the trend of the fcc and hobby radio...
If you are going to mess with 1500w on uhf then use a beam on a 100' tower fed with hardline and wrap your radio room in grounded copper mesh before you key up...
. Not likely, but ok.:roll: 73, n9zas

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
There are things that could be done to help or hinder the service. Bringing the rules into the 21st century is one of those things that could either make or break the service. GMRS was exempted from narrowbanding but the big thing is where would non-Part 90 qualified users go for casual, universal repeater usage? Would it be horrible if it turned into Australia's UHF CB? Can't answer that as I've never actually been around that service but it would be nice to eliminate the 5 year license that used to cost almost as much for 10 years as a commercial itinerant did.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are things that could be done to help or hinder the service. Bringing the rules into the 21st century is one of those things that could either make or break the service.

Allowing FM on 27MHz CB would help that service a lot, also. CTCSS/DCS tones to stop the garbage, better audio, and it would bring it in line with a lot of the European countries.

KC2GIU

Allowing FM on 27MHz CB would help that service a lot, also. CTCSS/DCS tones to stop the garbage, better audio, and it would bring it in line with a lot of the European countries.

Yes, and double yes.

Maybe even allow all that to freq above the 40.

I for one do not want FRS/GRMS to turn into UHF CB. 11-meters is already jacked up and like the wild west. No other service needs that on any other band.

gewecke

Banned
I'm pretty satisfied the way things have worked out in the radio spectrum in my area. People have WAY too many more important things to worry about like food or jobs , than high powered radio ops. I think our economy and survival has taken the front seat in peoples minds. Gmrs is basically nonexistent here, only 7 locals who are licensed for ops. As far as Frs, the usual munchkins so no problem there. Murs only has 2 local regular users, excluding walmart so everyone behaves themselves mostly. Even the cbers have died. No base station ops locally, just a mobile here and there from the tollway or truckstop. All is good in mayberry lol. :). 73, n9zas

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Really don't have much of a idea as to what is and is not used from the radio spectrum in my area. When i climb out of the truck, Radio and amp goes gets powered off and none of it crosses my mind till time to ride again..

KD8DVR

I understand the FCC has had a proposal under consideration since 2010 that would make GMRS "licensed by rule," in other words with no formal individual licensing. One of the proposals is a 5 watt maximum for all transmitters. If this goes through, will existing licensees be "grandfathered" for the current maximum of 50 watts? Does anyone have any opinions on this issue?

Their proposal was simply asking on discussion of what people would consider. There was no official proposal to actually implement a policy or any specific rules.

In the end.. it is up to them to propose rules. What happens will only be revealed if and when an NPRM is issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.