• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS repeater for Midland WT's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcb1102

Hello everyone,

1st time poster here.

I have some Midland LXT630VP3's that my family uses around the farm. (Many something for my kids to use to call for help if needed, or for us to call them in).

I would love to extend the range by adding a repeater. Can this be done with these radios? I can't seem to find a solid answer.

I know ham and other things are a better option for longer range on farm terrain, but not sure my 5yo is ready to study for the Amateur test yet....

So yea, can these radios be used with a repeater?
Is it possible to set a radio to TX & Rx on the same channel?
I would prefer to build a repeater from a radio or something (good project with the boys) vs buying one.

I dont know a lot about radios, but can handle electronics (programing background and my 8yo has built several cool robots)

Thanks in advance!

ecps92

A Quick Review of the manual
http://midlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/LXT600-Owners-Manual-2.pdf
No these are simplex only radios they do not handle off-sets for repeater use

Hello everyone,

1st time poster here.

I have some Midland LXT630VP3's that my family uses around the farm. (Many something for my kids to use to call for help if needed, or for us to call them in).

I would love to extend the range by adding a repeater. Can this be done with these radios? I can't seem to find a solid answer.

I know ham and other things are a better option for longer range on farm terrain, but not sure my 5yo is ready to study for the Amateur test yet....

So yea, can these radios be used with a repeater?
Is it possible to set a radio to TX & Rx on the same channel?
I would prefer to build a repeater from a radio or something (good project with the boys) vs buying one.

I dont know a lot about radios, but can handle electronics (programing background and my 8yo has built several cool robots)

Thanks in advance!

dcb1102

Thanks for the info Bill.

I was afraid of that, but wasn't sure.

It looks like the Motorola Talk about 350's are the only low priced radios I can find that are FCC approved for GMRS and allow repeater offsets.

Is this correct? Any other recommendations?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with all of the GMRS rules, but there is a type of simplex repeater that is used in the ham bands. It stores the received message and then rebroadcasts it with a stronger signal when the sender unkeys the radio. Not as convenient as a true repeater, but better than nothing for emergency use.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

It looks like the Motorola Talk about 350's are the only low priced radios I can find that are FCC approved for GMRS and allow repeater offsets.

. Check the classifieds, for Motorola T7200 or T7400's these are both capable of repeater use when enabled. I have one of each. Also the Powerwerx Tera 505 might alow repeater use but I'm not certain. 73, n9zas

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber

While $99.99 may not seem inexpensive, it is one of the very few Part 95A certified GMRS HTs. They are very ruggedly built and will last a very long time.

They are also the only such radios on the market that are designed in the U.S. and factory supported in the United States.

https://powerwerx.com/tera-tr505-gmrs-recreational-handheld-radio

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
. Check the classifieds, for Motorola T7200 or T7400's these are both capable of repeater use when enabled. I have one of each. Also the Powerwerx Tera 505 might alow repeater use but I'm not certain. 73, n9zas

The Powerwerx does. 8 channels are simplex and 8 are repeated. The used price on those T7400's is nice though.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
While $99.99 may not seem inexpensive, it is one of the very few Part 95A certified GMRS HTs. They are very ruggedly built and will last a very long time.

They are also the only such radios on the market that are designed in the U.S. and factory supported in the United States.

https://powerwerx.com/tera-tr505-gmrs-recreational-handheld-radio
Is the 505 repeater capable? My T7200 and 7400 are, but have been discontinued for several years. 73, n9zas

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Is the 505 repeater capable? My T7200 and 7400 are, but have been discontinued for several years. 73, n9zas

Read the description in the link...
Pre-programmed with 16 GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) channels, including both repeater and direct handheld to handheld communications. Ideal for use with most outdoor activities including: hiking, biking, skiing, and hunting. Full 4 watts of transmit power for increased range and coverage area.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Before you start down the path of building a repeater, you might find that there are other solutions that will be easier and probably cheaper.

If you can supply a few answers we might be able to make some suggestions for alternatives to building out a repeater and purchasing new repeater capable radios:

1. How big an area are you trying to cover?
2. What's the local topology like in the coverage area? Flat, hilly, mountains, canyons, forest??
3. What's your budget?
4. What's your expectations for coverage? In other words, how critical is radio coverage?

You are going to be very limited in what you can do with consumer grade radios. FRS/GMRS radios are limited by design. Non removable antennas, poor receivers, low power, etc. are all working against you. Stepping up to a better radio with that allows more efficient antennas can improve coverage.

Another option would be to consider Multi Use Radio Service. MURS is a 2 watt VHF "license by rule" radio service that might fit your needs a bit better. 2 watts on VHF will outperform 2 watts on UHF in some instances. The ability to install a base antenna on your house will --greatly-- improve coverage.

Repeaters are useful things, but they take some skill to set up correctly. There are off the shelf units you can purchase, but you are still looking at a lot of money.

Other issue is licensing. Not sure if you have a GMRS license or not. Not judging... Only pointing out that while many chose not to get licensed, adding a repeater will raise your visibility quite a bit. Running a repeater on GMRS without a license might just get you into some hot water.

The radios you have are your biggest limiting factor. Getting away from those will improve things quite a bit.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
FRS/GMRS radios are limited by design. Non removable antennas, poor receivers, low power, etc. are all working against you. Stepping up to a better radio with that allows more efficient antennas can improve coverage.
I have only one quibble with what you wrote, which is on the whole excellent advice.

FRS equipment requires a fixed antenna and half-watt power limit. Only FRS/GMRS hybrid radios have a fixed antenna requirement, and half-watt limit to FRS and up to 5 watts for GMRS (although most are only 2 watts).

GMRS HTs are limited to 5 watts max, but may have removable antennas.

GMRS fixed base stations are limited to 5 watts max

GMRS mobile stations are limited to 50 watts max.

GMRS repeaters are limited to 50 watts max.

A sharp eye on eBay listings can yield some surprisingly good values. There is a complete and tested GMRS repeater and four HTs currently on offer for $600. If I didn't already have too many bloody repeaters, I'd buy this one myself! :D

The repeater isn't where real expenses occur. The major expense will be the antenna system; both antenna and feed line!

GMRS license is only $65 for a five period. That's very reasonable.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You are correct, I should have clarified the FRS/GMRS comment by using "FRS/GMRS hybrid". What I was getting at is that the consumer grade "bubble pack" radios are limited in what they can do, both by design and FCC requirements.

And there is no limit on HT power in the rules. HT power limits are are either due to power amplifier limitations or RF exposure limits.

There is the 5 watt limit on the 7 intrastitial channels. That doesn't just apply to hand held radios.

cmdrwill

And there is no limit on HT power in the rules. HT power limits are are either due to power amplifier limitations or RF exposure limits.

Correct, transmitter power IS limited by RF exposure regulations. 5 watts for a UHF hand held transceiver.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Correct, transmitter power IS limited by RF exposure regulations. 5 watts for a UHF hand held transceiver.

I agree, but can you post your source? I'm aware of the exposure limitations, but I don't think I've ever been able to find anything that specifically listed a power level vs. frequency comparison. Seems like ERP would be more important that TPO, so antenna type would change the exposure.
Also, I seem to recall a CCR that claimed 8 watts....

toastycookies

§95.135 Maximum authorized transmitting power.
(a) No station may transmit with more than 50 watts output power.

(b) [Reserved]

(c) A small control station at a point north of Line A or east of Line C must transmit with no more than 5 watts ERP.

(d) A fixed station must transmit with no more than 15 watts output power.

(e) A small base station must transmit with no more than 5 watts ERP.

[48 FR 35237, Aug. 3, 1983, as amended at 53 FR 47717, Nov. 25, 1988; 63 FR 68975, Dec. 14, 1998]

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Seems to me a HT would fall under a mobile station and be limited to 50w TPO

Status
Not open for further replies.