• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Regulation Terminology Clarification: Land Station Antenna vs Base/Control Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanMadigan

I am building a repeater at my fathers hose. Would this be considered a Land Station (in which the height is 20-200ft) or a Base/Control station (where it is limited to 20ft above the structure its mounted to). OR, am I even understanding this the right way lol. I am fairly new to this, and I am trying my best to stay within the regulations.

My basic question is what is the allowed height range for my antenna. I did some searching and found some conflicting answers, so i thought it would be best to just be safe and ask.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reference: FCC Part95a - GMRS Rules and Regulations

95.51 Antenna height.

(a) A land station antenna (the land station's radiating structure (for
transmitting, receiving or both), including the tower, mast or pole supporting
it and everything attached to the structure) must not be a hazard to aircraft.
The licensee of a GMRS system must get FCC permission (see 95.83) before the
uppermost tip of an antenna may be higher than normally allowed in paragraphs
(b), (c) and (d) of this rule section.

(b) Regardless of any other requirement of this rule section, an antenna may
always be at least:

(1) 6.1 meters (20 feet) above the ground or above the building or tree
upon which the antenna is mounted; or

(2) equal to the height of an existing antenna to which the land station
antenna is attached.

(c) The antenna may be as high as 61 meters (200 feet) above the ground,
unless it will be within 6.1 kilometers (20,000 feet) of an airport or
heliport.

(d) If the antenna is near an airport or heliport listed in the FAA's (Federal
Aviation Administration's) Airport Facilities Directory, or near an airport or
heliport operated by the Department of Defense, it must not be higher than:

(1) One meter higher than the airport elevation for every 100 meters from
the nearest runway if the runway is longer than one kilometer (3281
feet), and is within 6.1 kilometers (20,000 feet) of the antenna; or

(2) Two meters higher than the airport elevation for every 100 meters
from the nearest runway if the runway is no longer than one kilometer
(3281 feet), and is within 3.1 kilometers (10,000 feet) of the antenna;
or

(3) Four meters higher than the heliport elevation for every 100 meters
from the nearest landing pad if the pad is within 1.5 kilometers (5,000
feet) of the antenna.

(e) If the FCC grants permission to put an antenna higher than normally
allowed in paragraphs (b), (c) and (d) of this rule section, the licensee may
have to mark the antenna with bright paint and light it up at night (see Part
17 of the FCC Rules).

(f) The antenna for a small base station or for a small control station must
not be more than 6.1 meters (20 feet) above the ground or above the building
or tree on which it is mounted.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
That really depends. If you already have an existing tower, your antenna cannot be higher than whatever the highest existing antenna is. There is a tower in Crete, Illinois where I could use an existing antenna at 320' height. Unfortunately, the tower owner wants $375/month basic charge.

However, as it is unlikely that you have such an existing tower available, then you are limited to no more than 20' above the mounting point on the structure or tree.

As an example, I have my GMRS repeater antenna on a 20' mast mounted in a roof-top tripod mount. This is temporary until I manage to locate a building or existing tower I can either get for free or low cost. :cool:

DylanMadigan

Makes sense, thank you.

Now I'm assuming that's the tip (not the base) of the antenna can be 20ft from the chimney (highest point), correct?

D

DaveNF2G

The repeater itself is a land station. A remote control transmitter site would be subject to the 6 meter rule.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
In the FCC world a control station is a fixed location station (FX1) that talks to (controls) a repeater. A base station (FB) is a fixed location simplex or repeater station (FB2).
BB

KC2GIU

That really depends. If you already have an existing tower, your antenna cannot be higher than whatever the highest existing antenna is. There is a tower in Crete, Illinois where I could use an existing antenna at 320' height. Unfortunately, the tower owner wants $375/month basic charge.

However, as it is unlikely that you have such an existing tower available, then you are limited to no more than 20' above the mounting point on the structure or tree.

As an example, I have my GMRS repeater antenna on a 20' mast mounted in a roof-top tripod mount. This is temporary until I manage to locate a building or existing tower I can either get for free or low cost. :cool:

Does the existing tower have to be a commercial tower with an existing antenna already up high? Or could a person with a Ham radio tower with the top of the tower+antenna at 180ft be legal to place the GMRS repeater antenna under that too?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Does the existing tower have to be a commercial tower with an existing antenna already up high? Or could a person with a Ham radio tower with the top of the tower+antenna at 180ft be legal to place the GMRS repeater antenna under that too?
This applies to any existing tower. One could legally put up a 180' free-standing tower, install some ham antennas on it, then the next day (or even later the same day!) install a UHF antenna on the tower for GMRS use. As long as the tip of the GMRS antenna is not higher than any other antenna, all is golden. :lol:

KC2GIU

This applies to any existing tower. One could legally put up a 180' free-standing tower, install some ham antennas on it, then the next day (or even later the same day!) install a UHF antenna on the tower for GMRS use. As long as the tip of the GMRS antenna is not higher than any other antenna, all is golden. :lol:

Ham antenna tip is at 180ft. CB just a little lower. Scanner antenna next. Then a proposed LPFM antenna.
The SW antenna is a mere 20ft up. I see no improvement at 80ft or 20ft for SW.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Or even put up a tv antenna, and then add the GMRS the next day.

It is kind of a weird rule with many loop holes.

KD8DVR

Am I correct that a land station is restricted to 20W?

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Am I correct that a land station is restricted to 20W?

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

50 watts. 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.