• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do all GMRS radios need to broadcast the call sign or only the registered user

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkemp

Let's say that there are 5 in a family where one has a GMRS FCC license. I can't tell if only the registered user needs to broadcast the license periodically or if every user on the air needs to broadcast the license. There are pros and cons to each approach.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that all users must ID. I get this from the following (bold/italics added for emphasis).

§95.1 The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS).
(a) The GMRS is a land mobile radio service available to persons for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and their immediate family members. Each licensee manages a system consisting of one or more stations.

and

§95.119 Station identification.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (e), every GMRS station must transmit a station identification:
(1) Following the transmission of communications or a series of communications; and (...etc)

NC1

Since the system falls under only one call sign, my instinct is that it only needs to be done once by the licensee, or control station.

Much like a Municipality that has multiple units, only the repeater ID's, not each individual unit who are authorized under the License.

Just my opinion, and it just makes sense to me. Then again you are dealing with a government agency so anything is possible.

nkemp

I have visions (or hear things) where one station says the call sign and then every other says the same thing in succession. Kinda goofy. But I think that is the way the law reads.

Rred

What's unclear?
" every GMRS station must transmit a station identification:...Following the transmission of communications or a series of communications;"

That's STATION not LICENSEE. You have one base and four portables, that's five stations. Each one would say "ABC123 Station# Clear" or however you want to identify the STATION and say goodbye, at the end of the communications. And just doing it once when you're ending things, shouldn't be a huge burden.

Easy way to find out, is to call the FCC's toll-free numbers or post an email to them, since their opinion is the only one that counts.

mirrorshades

Rred has it right on the money -- the following is included in §95.119:

(b) The station identification is the call sign assigned to the GMRS station or system.

(c) A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

So if speaking to my wife using GMRS (ha!), I would identify as WABC123-1, and she would identify as WABC123-2 (for example).

Which ends up being kind of a lengthy callsign. :)

NC1

What's unclear?
" every GMRS station must transmit a station identification:...Following the transmission of communications or a series of communications;"

That's STATION not LICENSEE. You have one base and four portables, that's five stations. Each one would say "ABC123 Station# Clear" or however you want to identify the STATION and say goodbye, at the end of the communications. And just doing it once when you're ending things, shouldn't be a huge burden.

Easy way to find out, is to call the FCC's toll-free numbers or post an email to them, since their opinion is the only one that counts.

Let's look at the whole thing:

§ 95.119 Station identification.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (e), every GMRS station must transmit a station identification:

(1) Following the transmission of communications or a series of communications; and

(2) Every 15 minutes during a long transmission.

(b) The station identification is the call sign assigned to the GMRS station or system.

(d) The station identification must be transmitted in:

(1) Voice in the English language; or

(2) International Morse code telegraphy.

(e) A station need not identify its transmissions if it automatically retransmits communications from another station which are properly identified.

AHA! So it would be the call sign, following with an assigned unit number for each member.

So each one would have to ID - that is if I read the entire text correctly.

nkemp

What's unclear?

For whatever reason when I first started looking for this I could not find clear answer. Since then it became clear ... sorta.

That said Part 97 (ham license) is better written "at the end of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes during a communication,..."

Part 95 (GMRS)says ...(1) Following the transmission of communications or a series of communications; and (2) Every 15 minutes during a long transmission.

A ham will announce their license every 10 minutes. Period. But Part 95 could be interpreted as needing to announce the license every 15 during a long transmission only, which could be interpreted different than "during a communication"

So I could interpret this as if ... I talk for 20 minutes straight (a bad procedure regardless) I need to give station ID. But nobody else does.

D

DaveNF2G

Here is the simplest version of the answer.

Any transmitter in any licensed radio service must be identified on the air, in English or Morse Code, with the callsign of the licensee. Secondary callsigns or modifications are allowed to distinguish between different transmitters operating under the same license.

This applies to all Parts of the FCC rules.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Here is the simplest version of the answer.

Any transmitter in any licensed radio service must be identified on the air, in English or Morse Code, with the callsign of the licensee. Secondary callsigns or modifications are allowed to distinguish between different transmitters operating under the same license.

This applies to all Parts of the FCC rules.

There are always exceptions....

Off the top of my head I can think of a few:
GMRS - transmitters operating as part of a repeater are not required to identify.
Ham - space/telecommand stations, and remote control xmtrs aren't required to ID
Part 90/LMR has a list of maybe 10 scenarios that are exempt from ID requirements for two-way voice users - not including radio location services and one-way stuff.
There may be more.

Also, each service has specific modes that are permitted for ID (ex. RTTY and video are allowed for hams) - not just voice and CW.

That said - to answer the OP's question, all members of his family must identify when using a radio in the GMRS service.

nkemp

With help from the above replys (thank you) and per the https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part95.pdf. Specifically:

"§ 95.119 Station identification.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph
(e), every GMRS station must transmit a station identification:
(1) Following the transmission of communications or a series of communications; and
(2) Every 15 minutes during a long transmission.
(d) The station identification must be transmitted in:
(1) Voice in the English language; or
(2) International Morse code telegraphy.
(e) A station need not identify its transmissions if it automatically retransmits communications from another station which are properly identified."

I Interpret it as all transmitting units (listening units need not ID) must transit the station ID:
- at the end of the "communications". Note that this is plural, not singular.
REASON: "(1) Following the transmission of communications or a series of communications;"

- if transmitting for longer than 15 minutes, then a station identification is needed every 15 minutes.
REASON: "(2) Every 15 minutes during a long transmission."

"if transmitting for longer than 15 minutes" seems to apply to long winded folks where they keyed the transmitter for longer than 15 minutes and GMRS applications that transmit longer than 15 minutes.

So for most users, only stations that transmitted during the communications need to communicate the station ID and only once when the communications end. If any unit transmits for longer than 15 minutes continuously, then they must ID every 15 minutes during that transmission and at the end. There is no requirement to transmit the ID every 15 minutes (like there is for ham radios to transmit ID every 10 minutes).

BTW ... I am subject to being wrong without notice so determine your own practice/actions based on your own decisions, not mine :)

D

DaveNF2G

"if transmitting for longer than 15 minutes" seems to apply to long winded folks where they keyed the transmitter for longer than 15 minutes and GMRS applications that transmit longer than 15 minutes.

So for most users, only stations that transmitted during the communications need to communicate the station ID and only once when the communications end. If any unit transmits for longer than 15 minutes continuously, then they must ID every 15 minutes during that transmission and at the end. There is no requirement to transmit the ID every 15 minutes (like there is for ham radios to transmit ID every 10 minutes).

BTW ... I am subject to being wrong without notice so determine your own practice/actions based on your own decisions, not mine :)

That paragraph is poorly drafted. It is supposed to mean the same thing as it does in other services. An identification is required every 15 minutes during either a single long transmission (which is nearly impossible with most modern radios) or a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

nkemp

That paragraph is poorly drafted. It is supposed to mean the same thing as it does in other services.

The phrase "the letter of the law" comes to mind in that it is how the law is written that matters. Intent does not matter. If it is intended to be like the ham requirements they have had plenty of time to correct it and they could mirror the ham wording. Both of which they (the FCC) have not done.

One could make the argument that they (the FCC) did not intend for casual GMRS users to be announcing call signs periodically like hams. For those who would be sitting in deer stands, attending a wedding, shopping at the mall, going to the fair, or attending a community gathering while using GMRS to keep in touch, they may have intended as it is written.

For those who would set up a broadcast type station on the GMRS frequencies or for devices continuously broadcasting on GMRS frequencies it seems that periodic call signs are a requirement.

Regardless, it is the letter of the law that must be followed.

Tandom

Radio Furry
So if speaking to my wife using GMRS (ha!), I would identify as WABC123-1, and she would identify as WABC123-2 (for example).

Which ends up being kind of a lengthy callsign. :)

Its not so bad. In my household, I'm the license holder and my peeps under me are instructed to use my call-sign with a specific digit afterword. For example, I would say WABC123-1 or sometimes Alpha if im feeling lazy or adventurous. My partner would use WABC123-2 or bravo on his radio. Siblings run the same,3, 4 ,5, or Charlie, delta, echo.

Im not exactly sure on the legality of using a letter at the end as to using a number, but we flip flop between them. Were usually hanging around 5watts, and usually dont use the 25w base to talk on. Ive never had an issue with a letter. But as I said, Im not sure on the legality of using one.

Last edited:

I_am_Alpha1

"Easy way to find out, is to call the FCC's toll-free numbers or post an email to them, since their opinion is the only one that counts."

Ding, ding, ding--we have a winner! Get the correct answer from the source. Possible $1,000 fine per occurrence and equipment confiscation--no way I'm trusting bulletin board lawyers and neither should anyone else. A good defense starts with I called the FCC on this date and this time and spoke to this person--not some guy that posts allot on RR said I should do it this way (it's your money and equipment, do as you please).

D

DaveNF2G

The phrase "the letter of the law" comes to mind in that it is how the law is written that matters. Intent does not matter. If it is intended to be like the ham requirements they have had plenty of time to correct it and they could mirror the ham wording. Both of which they (the FCC) have not done.

One could make the argument that they (the FCC) did not intend for casual GMRS users to be announcing call signs periodically like hams. For those who would be sitting in deer stands, attending a wedding, shopping at the mall, going to the fair, or attending a community gathering while using GMRS to keep in touch, they may have intended as it is written.

For those who would set up a broadcast type station on the GMRS frequencies or for devices continuously broadcasting on GMRS frequencies it seems that periodic call signs are a requirement.

Regardless, it is the letter of the law that must be followed.

Intent matters a great deal in court, especially on appeal.

I'm not sure how you envision ham radio operation, but it seems you are laboring under a misconception. We don't pick up our radios and announce our callsigns every 10 minutes if we are not actually communicating with someone else. We have to identify at specified periods during communications. Our interval is 10 minutes. The interval for GMRS is 15 minutes. The interval under Part 90 is 30 minutes. It really is the same rule, no matter how you choose to read it.

Rred

"The interval under Part 90 is 30 minutes. "
I think that's for active public safety operations. And back down to 15 minutes for the Part90 "Industrial and Business" licensees, and other operations. They don't make Part90 easy either.

nkemp

Update ... the FCC fixed past "transmission" vs "communications" verbiage in its latest version per below:

95.1751 GMRS station identification.
Each GMRS station must be identified by
transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end
of transmissions and at periodic intervals during
transmissions except as provided in paragraph (c) of
this section. A unit number may be included after
the call sign in the identification.
(a) The GMRS station call sign must be
transmitted:
(1) Following a single transmission or a series of
transmissions; and,
(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every
15 minutes thereafter during a series of
transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.
(b) The call sign must be transmitted using voice
in the English language or international Morse code
telegraphy using an audible tone.
(c) Any GMRS repeater station is not required to
transmit station identification if:
(1) It retransmits only communications from
GMRS stations operating under authority of the
individual license under which it operates; and,
(2) The GMRS stations whose communications
are retransmitted are properly identified in
accordance with this section.

swen_out_west

Even back in the day when the FCC enforced CB and actually ticketed people for not saying their, call sign the ticket was $50. Yes it can be up to $1000 nowadays but I doubt they would levy the max. Especially with people operating without a license and licensed Hams operating without a GMRS license well above the 500 mWatts or even the proposed 2 watts ERP.

Now fast forward to today. Already my girlfriend who has a GMRS license has been harassed by a licensed Ham who participates in an illegal simplex repeater on FRS channel 3. The language on that channel makes a sailor blush with shame and like last night at 1840 happens when the kids are out in force on FRS. It gets rebroadcasted across the entire city at 4 watts out of a 6 DB antenna 30 feet in the air using CHICOM non approved gear.

They have FCC complaints against them and could care less that they risk a 10K fine and loss of Ham license. The last few compalints focused on the fact that as an illegal repeater on FRS, it is in clear violation of part 95 rules and subjects the entire city of 20.000 people to it. as wellas interferes with legal GMRS operation on the 2 adjacent GMRS channels. The FCC did nothing. <I am hoping their are some FCC trolls who will actually see this and research ticket <PM me for the ticket #.>

There are 3 other illegal simplex repeaters on FRS in the area run by licensed Hams under the guise of C.E.R.T. even if that does not give them a right to violate FCC rules. Even by FEMA's own communication training it states that extending the range of FCC through antennas. repeaters, and non approved radios is strictly against FCC rules..

I told her not to say her callsign so as not to get even more harassment, since she is a single woman. I'll pay the ticket if it happens, which it doesn't appear the FCC cares about enforcement on FRS/GMRS. But then we get to tell a judge why we opted not to say her call sign and will be happy to pay the fine when the FCC cleans up the 'wild. wild, west' that the local FRS/GMRS has turned into,

So yes, if getting fined even the max of $1000 gets the FCC to stand up and start enforcing FRS/GMRS I'll gladly pay it. But until that time, I have to do what I feel best to ensure the safety of the ones I care for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.