RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 7:58 PM

Default Dinged in NYC

Besides amateur and public safety frequencies, this $23,000 guy was said to be on GMRS from what I saw in the fine print. Apparently it took quite an effort, including involvement by a U.S. congressman, to get action in the case.

FCC Proposes Substantial Fine for Unlicensed Amateur Operation, False Police Call
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2016, 8:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's people like that who ruin things for everyone else.

Having a radio that is "capable" of transmitting on NYPD frequencies is illegal?
There is probably 300,000 of them in the state, lol.
Old 09-01-2016, 9:01 PM

"possessing radios capable of operating on NYPD frequencies, in violation of state law"

I guess in the State of New York...it is ?
Old 09-01-2016, 9:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8000 View Post
"possessing radios capable of operating on NYPD frequencies, in violation of state law"

I guess in the State of New York...it is ?
That state is a mess with their laws, and I would add some are ridiculous too!
Do they have any clue as to how many amateur radios are "capable"?

That is being just a little vague. It depends on how much needs to be done to the radio. Is it simply programming the frequency? Would that be entering the freq through the keyboard, or having to use software to do it? Would it qualify if clipping or adding a component to the circuit board meant it was capable?

If the circuitry is not there, then it is not capable, right? So if the frequency is not programmed, then it would follow that it is not capable. So, having the frequency programmed would mean it is capable, otherwise it is not?
Old 09-01-2016, 9:37 PM

Apparently the FCC had been screwing around for a couple of years despite multiple complaints about the same guy. OK, RDF is hard in the concrete canyons, there are many strong reflections making it damn hard to figure out where a signal is coming from. And the FCC has no budget for enforcement, even with a Congressman making noise.

But when the NYPD got involved and "interfering with police operations" became part of it...FWIW, the NYPD have a zero tolerance policy on interference. If you come across a deserted cop car, doors open, engine running, and hear gun shots coming out of an alleyway, you WILL be prosecuted if you try to call for help on the radio that is in the car. They are THAT firm about it.

Once the FCC is through negotiating their fine down to nothing, the NYPD will take over and skin him alive on local charges.
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2016, 11:02 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It's about time this guy got locked up. I used to hear him on the UPEN network and a couple of other high profile amateur repeaters in the Philly area. He has a very distinct voice and used different names and call signs all the time. I wonder why he just didn't get a ham license? Convicted felon maybe?
Old 09-02-2016, 12:01 PM

"I wonder why he just didn't get a ham license?"
Might as well ask why he didn't join the NYPD so he could legally use their radios too.

Looney Tunes. Toys in the attic. Off his meds. Whatever you choose, the bottom line is the same.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rred View Post
"I wonder why he just didn't get a ham license?"
Might as well ask why he didn't join the NYPD so he could legally use their radios too.

Looney Tunes. Toys in the attic. Off his meds. Whatever you choose, the bottom line is the same.
Plus we already have too many loonie tunes who are licensed anyway....but that's another topic. Looks like he's already doing time. They got that guy convicted fast.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

All comments may or may not resemble actual fact. Any message posted constitutes opinion only.
Old 09-07-2016, 1:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Already being discussed here...

http://forums.radioreference.com/new...16-2016-a.html