• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna coax question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh380

I currently run 20ft of lmr400 coax for my gmrs base. My swr is near flat. I have a pretuned 5 element yagi. I've been forced to relocate my antenna to the chimney, which will actually put my antenna about 15 ft higher than my previous setup. Only problem is that I'll need more coax..or is it a problem at all?

I'm wondering if I can expect to see a dramatic change in my swr. I expect there to be some loss..I don't see that being a major issue.

Thoughts?

Tim-Elyria

Swr should not change , but still keep coax as short as possible , at UHF losses can add up quickly

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
SWR should not change with coax length, however there are specific situations where if you land on the right multiple of 1/4 wavelength your meter may show a change. In reality if you are using the proper coax and connectors, there won't be an issue.

There will be, of course, some additional loss, 0.41dB for 15 feet of LMR-400. Shouldn't be noticeable unless you are really running out on the fringes of your link loss budget.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
If you are replacing the coax run with the longer one, my guess is the range benefit of being higher will more than compensate for the added loss. If you plan to splice the coax, terminate the ends and use a barrel (F-F) connecter, remember to weatherproof the splice. Actually, if done correctly the SWR should go down as the 'reflected' power is attenuated more-however for the short lengths you mentioned, I doubt the difference will be noticeable even on a meter.

Josh380

Thank you for all of your replies. I'm wondering now how well, or poorly, my yagi would perform if I put it in the attic....typical home-wood frame, stucco on the outside

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Whats the roof composition?

Almost all building materials will have some RF suppressing characteristics. It will vary depending on material, thickness and frequency.
If the signal is strong enough, the minor loss from an inch or two of plywood and wood shingles probably isn't going to be enough to kill your reception.
What you can run into is putting the antenna down low enough that signals get blocked by other structures. Also, you are putting the antenna closer to potential noise sources.

One sure way to test this is to just give it a try.

Rred

Coax always has some resistance, so if any signal is being reflected back from the antenna to the transmitter, the loss in the coax can "eat" some of that, so an SWR meter at the transmitter says 1:1 while the same meter moved up to the antenna might say 1:1.5, or higher.

With only 20 or 35 feet of cable, that shouldn't be an issue for you. And the SWR at the transmitter is what is important to you (so it doesn't blow up or power down) as opposed to the SWR at the antenna, which is more about antenna efficiency and output power.

If you have the usual "UHF" (PL-259, SO-239) connectors, they create impedance bumps, again not a huge issue but still a small one. Adding the extra connector and barrel to extend your cable, will add some impedance bumps and loss. Not a lot, but some, along with a potential place for water intrusion. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are really tweaking the system, but with a whole 35' of cable involved, I think I'd personally just buy one new cable run and not worry about the little stuff. Making sure the cable ends are properly terminated and the new external antenna connection Is waterproofed properly, will be more important.

Josh380

Well, I'm gonna go with a 50ft run of lmr400 in white (keep the landlord happy), and use the other 20ft of lmr400 if necessary.

The house runs north to south width-wise, and my yagi needs to basically be pointed north. So the only obstruction I'd be dealing with is the usual stucco, chicken wire, and possibly plywood (not sure of the exact composition of the wall). And if I were to place it at the highest possible point in the attic, the other houses to the north are below me, making the only obstruction the wall of my house.

I saw another thread about this very thing, someone told him/her to try it, and there were no further updates to that thread......

Rred

A cynic might say, "Oh, so you want to put your yagi inside a Faraday Cage. That's good."

Stucco, with layer(s) of chicken wire, hardware cloth, or other metal screening in it, can never be a good thing to point an antenna at.

Just saying.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So the only obstruction I'd be dealing with is the usual stucco, chicken wire, and possibly plywood (not sure of the exact composition of the wall). And if I were to place it at the highest possible point in the attic, the other houses to the north are below me, making the only obstruction the wall of my house.

So basically the antenna is going inside a Faraday cage, and it is going to work like crap. You need to get it out of the attic if you want it to work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.