• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

got my gmrs license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharvey2

A few years ago my wife bought me a T-Shirt that says: "My wife let's me play HAM radio" That might be your next step. Just stay clear of the yellow/orange vests. Too much of a whacker vibe with those.

Hans13

A few years ago my wife bought me a T-Shirt that says: "My wife let's me play HAM radio" That might be your next step. Just stay clear of the yellow/orange vests. Too much of a whacker vibe with those.

From the OP's tagline...

KR3LIM
WQYT778

bharvey2

I knew he had both. Me too. He's getting in deeper and deeper. Just some friendly ribbing and conveying some of the "grief" he might get as he acquires more licenses and toys. Now as Mmckenna says, he needs an IG.....

Last edited:

spongella

Premium Subscriber
It's amazing how streamlined the application process is nowadays; apply on-line, pay on-line, get license
and call sign on-line, all very quickly. Nothing not to like about it.

Have fun with GMRS.

NC1

Got mine last week. I applied last Saturday morning and had my new call in the database late Monday evening, so it took under 3 days - and that was over the weekend too.

Now that I have my General, and most recent GMRS, I figure the next steps are to get my Extra ticket and then go for the Commercial :)

n1das

I'm cool now.

Very Cool! Congrats!

I need to renew my GMRS license this year before it expires in December. I recently received the automated 90-day renewal reminder in the mail. I purposely waited until the revised rules took effect on September 28, 2017, so my upcoming renewal will be good for 10 years.

I've been GMRS-licensed since December, 1992, before the creation of FRS and the 22-channel bubble packs. I used Motorola GP300 handhelds back then. My GMRS callsign (KAE9013) resembles an old CB callsign and predates the Universal Licensing System (ULS). GMRS was originally known as Class A Citizens Band and changed to GMRS long before I became GMRS licensed. GMRS callsigns began with KA (Class A CB) prior to the ULS. I'm being careful to not let my GMRS license expire so I can keep the KAE9013 callsign forever.

Congrats!

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
Suppose I should get another GMRS license, mine expired a couple of years ago.
Was WQLV 240 and before that KAD8790
If that doesn't date me, my GROL was P1-19-6161, if your old enough to figure out how far back that first phone was I'm glad you can still see well enough to read this! (1968 at 16 yrs old)
There is no known cure for radioitis, but the symptoms can be helped buy buying as many radios as one can sneek past household management.

cmdrwill

There is no known cure for radioitis, but the symptoms can be helped buy buying as many radios as one can sneek past household management.

Household management: That is the dog, and he likes radios.....

NC1

I wonder if they will ever offer vanity calls like they do for Amateur radio?

People may just go for it if the cost is reasonable, say around $10 - $15 or so.

It could generate some quick revenue, get and retain licensees longer, and attract more people to the service.

That might also turn many bubble pack users (unlicensed) into legitimate users, which could lead into growing the Ham community.

Just a thought.

swen_out_west

Kudos to anyone who gets/renews their GMRS license. Something that is dwindling every day due to non-enforcement by the FCC. Of the 200+ active licenses in the area a couple of years ago, my last search revealed only 34 remain active.

Being licensed for bigger power is a blessing in disguise. When I first put up my legal type accepted repeater, there were a lot of bubble pack radios trying to mess around on the channel. (Most have no idea that their bubble pack radio is not repeater capable, in fact, the illegal FRS simplex repeaters in the area have led them to believe that all repeaters are simplex and repeat the transmission) in the area I PL'd everybody but myself (I clear the channel and even converse with the travelers by the 395/14 junction) and turned up the power to 20 watts or even 40 on a couple.

Since then they have pretty much tired of trying to disrupt our transmissions. I will sometimes transmit 'the ants are out today' since that is what it's like. They are there, but we step right over them.

Not only that but using your call sign will usually clear the pirate Hams (those that transmit 50 watts with their radios but without a GMRS license).

Last edited:

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they will ever offer vanity calls like they do for Amateur radio?

People may just go for it if the cost is reasonable, say around $10 - $15 or so.

It could generate some quick revenue, get and retain licensees longer, and attract more people to the service.

That might also turn many bubble pack users (unlicensed) into legitimate users, which could lead into growing the Ham community.

Just a thought.

I agree with you and I totally would buy a vanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.