RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS


GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2017, 6:26 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,000
Default Take Your Smartphone Off-The-Grid

https://www.fantom.io/linc/?ct=t(Int...eid=e9120d8f22

Say Hello to LINC!

Meet Fantom Dynamics' newest project, LINC smart walkie-talkie. Fantom Dynamics has partnered with Motorola Mobility to create a Moto Mods™ concept designed for their Moto Z family of phones.

The LINC smart walkie-talkie has all the features you expect from Fantom Dynamics' modular two-way radios, like being fully programmable from the phone, GMRS/FRS preset for out of the box experience, RoIP, removable antenna, powerful speaker and more.

Sign up today to get first access to announcements and deep early backer discounts for when the Linc goes on sale February 6th, 2017.

To found out more about visit https://www.fantom.io/linc/
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2017, 6:36 PM
toastycookies's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2010
Location: the far east
Posts: 722
Default

GoTenna, BearTooth, now this?

Looks like Linc will run into the exact same problems beartooth did with their removable antenna and trying to run on FRS frequencies. That set that whole project back 2+ years until they settled on 900 ISM band.

Has anyone used one of these cellphone radio addons?

goTenna | Text & GPS on your phone, even without service


https://www.beartooth.com/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2017, 7:12 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,000
Default Take Your Smartphone Off-The-Grid

I did try the original GoTenna some months back. I was underwhelmed by the range on them. I returned them to my local REI a few days later.

The GoTenna Mesh will be 900 MHz, rather than 151-154 MHz. I believe that it, too, is also text only. While the GoTenna Professional has been mentioned on there website, it is devoid of any real details.

Beartooth seems to be close to release. I like the idea that it will be voice and text. Time will tell, however, how well it performs.

The Fantom Dynamics LINC certainly sounds interesting. The fact that it appears as if it would readily partner with an existing Motorola Moto could be huge. On the other hand, considering how often some people switch phones, this might be obsolete in a year or two. I guess it all depends on if Motorola with keep that current size and connector feature set for a while.

While it may be a bit premature for this, I think it would be great to have as many as three versions available:

-MURS VHF High Band Version

-FRS/GMRS UHF Version

-900 MHz ISM Version

Last edited by JASII; 02-01-2017 at 8:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2017, 8:40 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,604
Default

Just a reminder, Motorola phones and processes are owned by Google and have nothing to do with Motorola Solutions, the radio manufacturer.

tl;dr Operates on UHF
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2017, 8:41 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,604
Default

I'd also like to know how they are going to allow text services over the UHF GMRS band....
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2017, 9:25 AM
toastycookies's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2010
Location: the far east
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd119 View Post
Just a reminder, Motorola phones and processes are owned by Google and have nothing to do with Motorola Solutions, the radio manufacturer.

tl;dr Operates on UHF

Google sold off Motorola mobility to Lenovo years ago. They just bought it for the patents.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2017, 9:49 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Remus,MI.
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd119 View Post
I'd also like to know how they are going to allow text services over the UHF GMRS band....
Not to mention allowing unlicensed units on the GMRS band.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,000
Default Take Your Smartphone Off-The-Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd119 View Post
I'd also like to know how they are going to allow text services over the UHF GMRS band....
I seem to recall a similar issue with the Garmin RINO radios. I think that they can text, but only on FRS frequencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpmorris62 View Post
Not to mention allowing unlicensed units on the GMRS band.
It has always been up to the end user to get licensed for GMRS, how would these be any different than that?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2017, 9:48 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,000
Default Take Your Smartphone Off-The-Grid

We should know a little bit more later today. The introductory price of $99 seems fair, if these work well.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2017, 1:16 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,085
Default

Two things I've already noticed. Removable antenna of course will keep them from being type accepted for FRS (Part 95B). They mention business use...which is not allowed on GMRS unless it is either a) a legacy license or b) every individual is individually licensed. However, it does look like they may be going for Part 90/95A type certification.

The making it phone specific is kind of a down fall. I haven't heard absolutely amazing things about the Moto Z nor do I know anyone who actually has one. A bluetooth enabled device would still be a better solution as far as marketing for that type of product goes.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2017, 3:06 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 523
Default

spending a hundred dollars to turn a phone into a 10 dollar two way radio hardly seems productive

since there are dozens of blister pack radios available that work better for less its a solution to a problem that doesn't exist
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2017, 7:09 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,000
Default Take Your Smartphone Off-The-Grid

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/l...t-smartphone#/

http://bit.ly/2kfnyQt

I looked at their website again today after getting their email stating that it is available today. Here is what the body of the email stated:


THE TIME IS HERE!

Fantom Dynamics is proud to announce that our Linc Smart Walkie-Talkie Moto Mod Concept in now available on Indiegogo! The Linc Walkie-Talkie Moto Mod will keep you connected to your loved ones even without cellular service or Wifi, making this the ultimate device for all outdoor enthusiasts. How will Linc keep you connected?

For the next 48 hours ONLY, you can purchase the Linc Walkie-Talkie Moto Mod for the low price of $99. Please help us spread the word by sharing this link(http://bit.ly/2kfnyQt) with your friends and family.


So, what it means is it is available today to order on Indiegogo, but that it is estimated for December 2017. I seem to recall the original GoTenna being delayed and Beartooth has now been delayed again, too.

I guess I am just a bit nostalgic because I remember the days of using Nextel for Direct Connect and telephone calls. But if we wanted simplex, we would just switch to Direct Talk, which was off network.

I am also a little unclear on the frequency aspect of this. Are the marketing people saying that it is analog 400-480 Mhz, thus it can be programmed for GMRS or are they saying it comes pro-programmed for FRS/GMRS, which is in the UHF range?

Last edited by JASII; 02-06-2017 at 7:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2017, 7:45 PM
n1das's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASII View Post
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/l...t-smartphone#/

http://bit.ly/2kfnyQt

I looked at their website again today after getting their email stating that it is available today. Here is what the body of the email stated:


THE TIME IS HERE!

Fantom Dynamics is proud to announce that our Linc Smart Walkie-Talkie Moto Mod Concept in now available on Indiegogo! The Linc Walkie-Talkie Moto Mod will keep you connected to your loved ones even without cellular service or Wifi, making this the ultimate device for all outdoor enthusiasts. How will Linc keep you connected?

For the next 48 hours ONLY, you can purchase the Linc Walkie-Talkie Moto Mod for the low price of $99. Please help us spread the word by sharing this link(http://bit.ly/2kfnyQt) with your friends and family.


So, what it means is it is available today to order on Indiegogo, but that it is estimated for December 2017. I seem to recall the original GoTenna being delayed and Beartooth has now been delayed again, too.

I guess I am just a bit nostalgic because I remember the days of using Nextel for Direct Connect and telephone calls. But if we wanted simplex, we would just switch to Direct Talk, which was off network.

I am also a little unclear on the frequency aspect of this. Are the marketing people saying that it is analog 400-480 Mhz, thus it can be programmed for GMRS or are they saying it comes pro-programmed for FRS/GMRS, which is in the UHF range?
This all sounds kind of fishy to me. Some of it sounds too good to be true. I'm going to watch and wait until they are FCC Type Accepted and on the market and proves to be the next must have accessory for my smartphone. I consider it to be vaporware until it receives official FCC Type Acceptance.

Have fun!

EDIT: I didn't read the part about it being available today. D'Oh! Anybody found an FCC ID for it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
__________________
David Sterrett
Nashua, NH
Ham [HA] = N1DAS (2/1984)
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2017, 4:44 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,000
Default Take Your Smartphone Off-The-Grid

A bit more about LINC:

Did you know that Linc operates on a UHF (400-480mhz) and 70 cm (420-450 MHz) bands? Linc allows you to use the preset GMRS/FRS channels to begin using Linc straight out of the box perfect for keeping in touch while hiking or program your own frequencies for amateur radio use. The Linc App adjusts and presets the radio according to the licensed or unlicensed usage. Linc locks certain features that are not allowed to the unlicensed user. With a range of up to 5 miles, this radio is perfect for family and friends to stay in touch whether you are climbing a mountain, tackling a backcountry trail, making your way through an amusement park, or wherever cellular coverage is not available.

Pre-order for $99 at https://igg.me/at/lincwalkietalkie/x
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2017, 5:15 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASII View Post
A bit more about LINC:

Did you know that Linc operates on a UHF (400-480mhz) and 70 cm (420-450 MHz) bands? Linc allows you to use the preset GMRS/FRS channels to begin using Linc straight out of the box perfect for keeping in touch while hiking or program your own frequencies for amateur radio use. The Linc App adjusts and presets the radio according to the licensed or unlicensed usage. Linc locks certain features that are not allowed to the unlicensed user. With a range of up to 5 miles, this radio is perfect for family and friends to stay in touch whether you are climbing a mountain, tackling a backcountry trail, making your way through an amusement park, or wherever cellular coverage is not available.

Pre-order for $99 at https://igg.me/at/lincwalkietalkie/x
It's going to be interesting to see if they even come close to type acceptance of a Part 90/95A/95B device…
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2017, 3:07 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,000
Default Take Your Smartphone Off-The-Grid

Linc in the news | New Partner | Campaign update

Linc Update
It's been a busy week at the Fantom Dynamics offices. Linc has been available on Indiegogo for a week and we have been receiving great feedback and responses. We are excited to announce that we have added a few new features to Linc to enhance the user's experience while staying at the early bird price of only $99. We have opened our module to enable dual band operations (UHF/VHF/2m/70cm) used in some of our products, APRS/Packet Radio for our HAM community, and opened our onboard Bluetooth to allow you to control Linc from any smartphone or device. In addition, we have updated our Linc controller app to start Linc in a preset mode like GMRS/FRS mode for the normal user or Amateur radio advance mode which unlocks features with your verified callsign. To learn more, please share and visit our Indiegogo page:https://igg.me/at/lincwalkietalkie/x



New Partnership
We are excited to announce our newest partner and sponsor, Arrow Electronics. Arrow Electronics will be providing the electronic components and assisting with engineering support for Linc's mass development. Arrow Electronics is an American Fortune 500 company headquartered in Centennial, Colorado. The company specializes in distribution and value added services relating to electronic components and computer products.

Linc in the news
Our Linc smart walkie talkie has been busy making its rounds on the internet. Linc smart walkie talkie has been featured in:


MakeMIT
Live in the Boston, MA area? Come meet the Fantom Dynamics team alongside nexpaq February 25th at the MIT campus at this year's MakeMIT. The attendees will get the chance to see nexpaq's phonepaq and batpaq along with our DXBm modular walkie-talkie.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2017, 5:09 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Heflin, AL
Posts: 117
Default

I paid for a set of the Beartooth devices. I got an email a while back saying it will be late March before they start shipping. It was supposed to be early December. I am prepared to be disappointed with them. They are 900 MHz which means low power, and they don't have an external antenna. There aren't many places around here that don't have cell coverage, and if I happen to end up in one of them, I rather doubt my wife will remember to use the beartooth device. She won't even pair her phone to the hands free system in her car. I just don't see any viable technology that is affordable and license free at the same time. If I am going to be in an area without cell service and know ahead of time, I have UHF handies and a GMRS license that will serve much better than some gimmick that also requires use of my cellphone.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,000
Default Take Your Smartphone Off-The-Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPXS472 View Post
...They are 900 MHz which means low power, and they don't have an external antenna. There aren't many places around here that don't have cell coverage, and if I happen to end up in one of them, I rather doubt my wife will remember to use the beartooth device. She won't even pair her phone to the hands free system in her car. I just don't see any viable technology that is affordable and license free at the same time. If I am going to be in an area without cell service and know ahead of time, I have UHF handies and a GMRS license that will serve much better than some gimmick that also requires use of my cellphone.
I will agree partially and disagree partially. I have two of the DTR550s. They are, indeed, 900 MHz and only 1 watt. They are license free and I feel that they are viable. As far as affordable, I bought mine used. That is the sort of term that sort of depends on your perspective.

I, too, have a wife and I am familiar with the "wife factor". Mine, however, does like pairing her phone. In fact, she is also an amateur radio operator, but not particularly active with that hobby. I concur that generally I know when I am traveling to an area that won't have cellular service. We are ATVers for one of our hobbies and also have gone on cruise ships for vacations. In her case especially, she is something of a minimalist. By that, I mean she will gladly take her smartphone, but would MUCH rather not have a separate two way radio, camera, etc. If we had something that paired or attached to her smartphone, she might be somewhat more inclined to use it.

I also read this part: "While the Mod is made to connect 'seamlessly' to the Moto Z, Linc says that the unit will work with any smartphone via Bluetooth." That might just be a huge factor for some people. Although I do happen to have a Motorola smartphone, it isn't a Moto Z. If I knew that the Fantom Dynamics Linc worked well, I might be inclined to just make sure that was the next smartphone I bought. I rather doubt that most people would, however. But having it work with any smartphone via Bluetooth is a game changer. That would even allow you to place it a more optimum location, if necessary.

For whatever it is worth, here are two more articles about this:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/17/...walkie-talkie/

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...kie-smartphone

I definitely think that there is a need for some people to have off-network communications. While the GoTenna might be just the thing for some people, I was disappointed in it performance. I am not convinced that texting only was a good choice. Possibly the next GoTenna will be better.

I think Beartooth sounds good, but it still isn't available. I do like having either voice or texting choices.

Time will tell if Linc ever makes it to market, though.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2017, 6:15 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASII View Post
I did try the original GoTenna some months back. I was underwhelmed by the range on them. I returned them to my local REI a few days later.

The GoTenna Mesh will be 900 MHz, rather than 151-154 MHz. I believe that it, too, is also text only. While the GoTenna Professional has been mentioned on there website, it is devoid of any real details.

Beartooth seems to be close to release. I like the idea that it will be voice and text. Time will tell, however, how well it performs.

The Fantom Dynamics LINC certainly sounds interesting. The fact that it appears as if it would readily partner with an existing Motorola Moto could be huge. On the other hand, considering how often some people switch phones, this might be obsolete in a year or two. I guess it all depends on if Motorola with keep that current size and connector feature set for a while.

While it may be a bit premature for this, I think it would be great to have as many as three versions available:

-MURS VHF High Band Version

-FRS/GMRS UHF Version

-900 MHz ISM Version
I'm looking forward to the Gotenna Pro if this is accurate.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2017, 7:34 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,000
Default Take Your Smartphone Off-The-Grid

That is a good find. Thank you for posting that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions