• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Comet GP-3 GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone ever used a Comet GP-3 antenna for GMRS? I have googled it and can't seem to find anyone that has said anything about it. I'm trying to use that for my repeater and have to buy another antenna.

"Interoperability is not a luxury, it is a necessity!"

prcguy

I don't have a GP3 but have measured GP6s and GP9s and they will not cover GMRS with a useable match. You would be trying to use the antenna a good 17MHz away from where its designed to work.

There is a commercial version of the GP9 that covers 460 to 470Mhz and I've used those on a few low power commercial repeaters.
prcguy

amphibian

Has anyone ever used a Comet GP-3 antenna for GMRS? I have googled it and can't seem to find anyone that has said anything about it. I'm trying to use that for my repeater and have to buy another antenna.

"Interoperability is not a luxury, it is a necessity!"

The GP-3 is for the 440-446 frequecy range which is Amateur bands..... GMRS antennas need to designed for the 460-468 frequency range. Use of the GP-3 for a base or repeater antenna connected to your GMRS transmitter would eventually burn the finals out because of too much reflected power back to the transmitter.

You may want to check these antennas out. I have used similar in a pinch and for short distance coverage (15-20 miles) when mounted on short buildings or towers. Also have used them on Tall buildings where it was easy to get to the roof to replace the antenna when by Decibel antennas were delivered.

Tunable Adjustable Aluminum Base Antenna 400-500 MHz 5 dBd UHF Female SO239 1450 | eBay

You might check these out also.... I've had a few small minor issues with these but nothing that wasn't correctable....

Dual Band VHF UHF Base Antenna (Ham, Commercial, MURS, GMRS, FRS) DBJ-1 | eBay

Hope this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.