RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2018, 12:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mformby View Post
I had used Moto CP200 4 watt UHF on one cruise and they worked pretty good. On the next cruise I took the MOTO DTR550 and they worked much better. Amazing how 1 watt 900Mhz can outperform 4 watts UHF. The smaller (shorter) wave length just has a better bounce effect plus the digital radios have zero background noise which helps. I see no reason the new DLR radios won't perform as good. I have not compared the specs on the receivers but both transmitters are one watt. Plus they cost a lot less unless you need all of the features of the DTR radios.
DLR = Digital Lightweight Radio, according to Motorola.

The DLRs and DLRs are FCC certified to transmit at 890 mW (+29.5 dBm). This gives 0.5 dB margin under the FCC legal limit of 1W (+30 dBm) to account for measurement uncertainty and variation in output power from unit to unit and remain FCC legal.

When deep inside a cruise ship, you are essentially inside a compartmentalized metal box and the reflections can actually help at 900MHz. The ship is more open at 900MHz compared to 460MHz and way more open compared 150 MHz. I don't if anyone has ever tried VHF MURS on a cruise ship. I expect MURS won't do well and an FRS bubble pack may work better.

One thing that also helps with the DTRs and DLRs is the FHSS operation effectively stirs the hot spots and dead spots. At any given location, what may be a dead spot at say 902MHz may be a hot spot at 915MHz or 927MHz and so on. The individual hot spots and dead spots hop around as the frequency hops due to the FHSS. The FHSS operation effectively stirs the modes as you talk. You will likely be in a hot spot more often than not while in range. But when you finally do go out of range, it's totally GONE. UHF coverage with a conventional radio will likely be already gone before that.

Building penetration is where the DTRs and DLRs really excel in performance compared to other radios on plain old simplex. The DTRs and DLRs were specifically designed to be used by businesses where businesses are located and that's inside buildings.

If and when my wife and I go on a cruise again someday, we most definitely will be using my DTRs and/or DLRs.
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)

Last edited by n1das; 06-20-2018 at 1:01 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2018, 1:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Be aware that you're potentially in another country's domain and rules on a ship. Some frequencies that are legal in one country may be illegal in another. You can potentially interfere with ship's communications and systems using spectrum outside their legal framework.

Most ships require permission from the company and ship's staff in order to use. You may also have to have a license from the relevant country in order to operate.

Tags
cruise line, cruise ship