• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Talkabout T400 Licensing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
I've been doing some reading about GMRS/FRS licensing today and I just want some confirmation/clarification on what I've learned.

I am interested in buying the Motorola Talkabout T400 radios for use around my house/property.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/e...00-series/talkabout--t400.html#tabproductinfo

1. If I set the radios on channels 8-14 (FRS channels), my understanding is that no license is required. Am I correct?

2. The user guide lists the channels 1-7 as GMRS/FRS. Would a license be required if the radio is set on those channels if just used straight out of the package?

3. My understanding is that channels 15-22 would require a license. Am I correct?

The user guide below lists the frequencies and descriptions for channels 1-22

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/c...mer/t400/talkabout-T400-series-user-guide.pdf

Thanks in advance for any information.

Jimbiram

I'm no expert but I believe on channels 1-7 you have to set the radio in low power mode. Most of those I've seen seem to default to high power on those channels. If you have the radio in low power mode, it shouldn't require a license for 1-7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nd5y

1. If I set the radios on channels 8-14 (FRS channels), my understanding is that no license is required. Am I correct?
Right now this is correct. Channels 8-14 are FRS only and limited to 1/2 watt power output, 12.5 kHz bandwidth, and don't require a license.

The FCC recently changed the rules which go into effect on Sep 28, 2017. Depending on the transmit power and bandwidth used on the rest of the channels, a radio could be reclassified as FRS not require a license when used on the rest of the channels. Motorola doesn't provide the output power, bandwidth or FCC ID on the product page. Without that there is no way to tell.

For more information on this see the links to the FCC above the upper table at https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

cmdrwill

" and don't require a license. "

LICENSED by Rule.. If you do not adhere to the Rules, you can not Operate....

So saying does not require a License is not correct.

Jimbiram

It appears that this radio may be considered an FRS radio under the new rules coming out, because it appears the test report for the 400 series don't exceed 2 watts, based on my reading of the FCC test report. So it may be that you won't need a license for those channels shortly when the new regulation goes live. The Rules rule....

Attachments

• Motorola.pdf
    789.2 KB · Views: 237

rs16

Premium Subscriber
So, with or without the new rules, are we sure that Channels 8-14 do not require a license?

and Jimbiram, if I'm reading you correctly, are you saying that the entire radio may not need a license as of the end of Sept.?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
So, with or without the new rules, are we sure that Channels 8-14 do not require a license?

and Jimbiram, if I'm reading you correctly, are you saying that the entire radio may not need a license as of the end of Sept.?
That is correct. As of September 28, 2017, what we now think of as a FRS/GMRS handheld like the radio that the OP mentioned will be FRS legal on all 22 channels. 1-7 and 15-22 can be at high power, while 8-14 are low power only. The low power only for 8-14 is already built into all the bubble pack FRS/GRMS units out there.

FWIW, I did some searching about, and the most powerful of the FRS/GMRS bubble pack radios weigh in at 1.5 watts on the high power setting. Many of them are about 1 watt.

My advice to anyone buying these radios would be to simply not fret about the licensing. The FCC has done minimal enforcement with both FRS and GMRS up to now, and it's most unlikely that someone using a bubble pack at high power in the next 3 three weeks would come on the enforcement radar.

On the 28th, license by rule takes over, and these radios can all be considered FRS on all channels.

It's just not an issue any more.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
You realize we're debating over the legality of a bubble pack radio right?

I've got a set of Motorola TLKR T50 radios - I was able to measure RF at about 200mW at the antenna, despite the manual claiming 500mW, so I wouldn't put too much stock into what they "claim" to be the RF output.

Robertc1

I would say just spend the $70 get a GMRS license "your whole family can use it" and you won't have to worry about it

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I would say just spend the $70 get a GMRS license "your whole family can use it" and you won't have to worry about it

Why? Under the new rules which are effective in just two weeks, all the bubble packs and exising FRS/GMRS combination radios are fully legal at their high power settings under FRS license by rule. There's no need for the OP to obtain a license to use the handheld units that he mentioned in his opening post.

If he wants to upgrade to higher power mobiles and/or base radios some day, the GMRS license would then be appropriate and necessary.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Why? Under the new rules which are effective in just two weeks, all the bubble packs and exising FRS/GMRS combination radios are fully legal at their high power settings under FRS license by rule. There's no need for the OP to obtain a license to use the handheld units that he mentioned in his opening post.

If he wants to upgrade to higher power mobiles and/or base radios some day, the GMRS license would then be appropriate and necessary.

I am considering buying a couple of the Midland mobile radios, perhaps the 5 or 15 watt. I have already obtained an FCC license, but am unsure what the proper procedure is when transmitting my call sign, etc. Also, can someone other than family members, like close friends, use the radios that I purchase, and under my license? Your providing answers to these questions would be appreciated.

jimg

jimg

Premium Subscriber
That is correct. As of September 28, 2017, what we now think of as a FRS/GMRS handheld like the radio that the OP mentioned will be FRS legal on all 22 channels. 1-7 and 15-22 can be at high power, while 8-14 are low power only. The low power only for 8-14 is already built into all the bubble pack FRS/GRMS units out there.

FWIW, I did some searching about, and the most powerful of the FRS/GMRS bubble pack radios weigh in at 1.5 watts on the high power setting. Many of them are about 1 watt.

My advice to anyone buying these radios would be to simply not fret about the licensing. The FCC has done minimal enforcement with both FRS and GMRS up to now, and it's most unlikely that someone using a bubble pack at high power in the next 3 three weeks would come on the enforcement radar.

On the 28th, license by rule takes over, and these radios can all be considered FRS on all channels.

It's just not an issue any more.

An idea if Motorola, Midland, Cobra, etc. will be coming out with new GMRS/FRS radios with 2 watts?

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
An idea if Motorola, Midland, Cobra, etc. will be coming out with new GMRS/FRS radios with 2 watts?

[My expectation is that we won't see any new radios right away. There's a time lag to these things. They need to modify their designs, tool up the factories, and procure parts before they can build them. They also need to go through the FCC Type Acceptance procedure. Then they need to build then, ship them, and get them into stores for retail sales and warehouses for internet sales.

My best guess is that we might see something in time for Christmas, probably repackaged existing FRS/GMRS radios with new advertising claims, etc. as FRS only. Somebody might surprise us with new products by then, but I think we'd see those in the spring of 2018.

I don't think we'll see a ground swell of 5 watt GMRS portables in the stores for quite a while.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
[My expectation is that we won't see any new radios right away. There's a time lag to these things. They need to modify their designs, tool up the factories, and procure parts before they can build them. They also need to go through the FCC Type Acceptance procedure. Then they need to build then, ship them, and get them into stores for retail sales and warehouses for internet sales.

My best guess is that we might see something in time for Christmas, probably repackaged existing FRS/GMRS radios with new advertising claims, etc. as FRS only. Somebody might surprise us with new products by then, but I think we'd see those in the spring of 2018.

I don't think we'll see a ground swell of 5 watt GMRS portables in the stores for quite a while.

Are there any 5 watt GMRS portables on the market now, without FRS?

K2RNI

Now I can use my MR350R on 15-22 with full power. It's under 2 watts measured. Hope to see the common FRS frequencies update and expand more. I always loved using channel 11 code 22 for Birding. Would like to have us move to one of the higher powered channels now. I like 17. Though maybe 4 or 5 would be more approriate since no chance of repeaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.