• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New user - over thinking it again :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot about a little or a little about a lot. I currently have 2 Motorola FRS Radios (MH230R). I've owned them for about 2 years and the range totally blows. It's claimed at 23 miles but will barely do a mile, if that. Does not matter if its straight line of sight or through mountains. So I started to research it which brought me to this forum :)

My radios are "1 watt" and believe getting 5 watt radios will help increase range? However I had heard something about the federal gov't now limiting FRS radios to a 1.5 watts? I did also read that I could get my GMRS license for about $90? That allows me to have access to different radio bands?

Primary use for the radios is speaking car to car in a convoy (lead car and end car) when traveling. It's especially useful when going to Deals Gap NC aka tail of the dragon. I did find these radios which were highly rated on several customer review based websites and Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001WMFYH4/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IAZLGE4PDUE31&colid=3Q4XO3VNRL250

So I ask the powers to be of this forum, whats the best route to take to fit my needs? I'd say my max budget would be $100 all in. I'm also not opposed to buying used gear, I have yet to check out the FS section on here. Thanks for your help in advance!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The linked radios have the same power as the one you already have. The only difference is a more inflated range claim. Don't bother.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
+1 with what's already posted. You just ain't gonna get no farther with those you linked to.
You'll just have to bite the bullet spend some extra money. CB is one route, GMRS another, ham license for ALL that will be using the transceivers, MURS. The GMRS license is less than 90 dollars. I think some where around 65 dollars now. With that license your whole family can use those radios, and they do have higher wattage output.
For those bubble packs that claim those high mileage distance, forget 'em. You found that a few hundred yards at best.

DJ11DLN

You won't get more than a mile or so with those radios, and even less from inside a vehicle. CB radio would be your best choice in this situation.
+1 on this. Look for used working CB's on whatever classifieds you peruse, or Craigslist, or eBay, yard sales, or whatever. Get decent mag mount antennas for the cars (there are a few around) if you don't want to drill holes. You'll have the ability to talk between cars over a few miles and no license required, and if you look hard enough, it ought to fall within your budget. You'll also be able to listen to truckers, which can both identify trouble spots on the road and also can be pretty entertaining at times.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Quiet ....;)
I'll echo the CB suggestion... though MURS with external antenna is right in there along side.
I have CB's in all my vehicles... and for a ham and and an RF engineer- that is quite an admission.
I can't tell you how many times I have been ask'd
........"why do you have one of THOSE in There ???..."
Honest answer-- the range is minimum mile-- usually more like 2-5. They talk well to my non ham friends- and were easy to install (though I do use commercial antennas, all hard mounted --ie: "Holes Drilled"-- to the vehicle)
I seldom turn them on, but when I have used them-- traffic jams, construction, you name it-- they paid for themselves in Ace's (Double-Plus !!'s) many many times over. (not to mention that truckers have been always charming and polite to me-- a female voice ?? (laffing)-- those that aren't are very rare-- and they get chew'd to pieces by the others-- this can be a very amusing radio service...lol)
.............................CF

Last edited:

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Problem with the small FRS radios is that most cannot have an external antenna attached to them, which in a mobile situation would increase the range. The lay of the land you are transmitting over has an great effect on range.

Yes you can apply for a GMRS license. If you do then you could use a higher powered GMRS radio. Some of these radios such as the BTech GMRS-V1 are decent radios (have two of these). You can attach external antennas to these and they also can be programmed for GMRS repeaters. This would give you better range.

Using CB as mentioned by previous posters is also a good option. No license needed, you can attach all kinds of antennas (mobile, base) to them, they are readily available and there are lots more to choose from both new and used. Since power is limited to 5W input a good tuned antenna will increase range. You could also go with an AM/SSB CB radio as using SSB might be more effective range-wise. I have an old President AM/SSB AR144 in the car, always fun to listen to CB. Only thing with CB is that when the band is open (these days not too often) sometimes local contacts can be hindered.

I'm using Tapatalk, and I had an elaborate reply typed out but 4 some reason it wont go thru? Yet it did before, odd.

So it seems like a CB radio is my best route. The issue is the primary purpose for a radio is to communicate car to car. Which could be a different car every trip. So I'd then have to convince several friends to install them...doesnt make it very feasible. However, I'll probably install one just for kicks. You can buy a decent CB radio used $50 +/-.

If I pony up the cash and get my GMRS license that opens the door to the 5 watt band, which would mean greater distances vs the 1.5 watt radios correct? If my assumptions are correct, does anyone have any strong contenders for really good GMRS radios?

Also thanks everyone for your help thus far, I appreciate it very much.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Don't forge that the GMRS license only covers your family and relatives. If others in your convoy are not your family or relatives they would need to get a GMRS license as well.
BB

Don't forge that the GMRS license only covers your family and relatives. If others in your convoy are not your family or relatives they would need to get a GMRS license as well.
BB
I need to look into the specifics. My assumption was if I had a license any radio I owned could be used for that purpose even if I gave to a friend to use temporarily (a trip somewhere with me). What am I missing here?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Last time I checked, you're allowed up to 50 watts on the following:

GMRS
Frequencies

1 462.5625 MHz
2 462.5875 MHz
3 462.6125 MHz
4 462.6375 MHz
5 462.6625 MHz
6 462.6875 MHz
7 462.7125 MHz

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Last time I checked, you're allowed up to 50 watts on the following:

GMRS
Frequencies

1 462.5625 MHz
2 462.5875 MHz
3 462.6125 MHz
4 462.6375 MHz
5 462.6625 MHz
6 462.6875 MHz
7 462.7125 MHz

Your information is completely incorrect Those are the 2 watt frequencies for FRS and and 5 watt frequencies for GMRS.

A completely new Part 95 went into effect at the end of September 2017. Anything you looked up months or years ago is now invalid.

The 50 watt frequencies for GMRS and 2 watts for FRS are:

The matching 467 repeater input frequencies are GMRS only up to 50 watts.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The big advantage of GMRS over the FRS is not power. GMRS allows external antennas which will greatly increase range (even for the same 'power'). Even two handhelds with mag mount style antennas on the cars will greatly increase usable range. If you install CBs (another idea), my suggestion would be to not even think about a handheld solution. At CB frequencies, a antenna mounted on the vehicle (and at least 5 feet long) is almost a 'must' for any range at all.

Hope this helps

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
You might also look at this post. https://forums.radioreference.com/gmrs-frs/356780-newbie-here.html
The OP was wanting something similar for just two vehicles traveling together (a moving truck and a car). Various options (with prices) were suggested including FRS, GMRS and CB. In the end he bought a pair of Motorola MR350R "1.5 Watt" FRS/GMRS portables ($58) and it worked for his needs. His range requiremtns were not that far. Your needs may vary.
Another potential option is MURS radios such as the BTech MURS-V1 portable ($50 each). These can be use with a low-cost external mag-mount antenna to improve the range in vehicles and require no license.

SCPD

QRT
One thing that maybe getting overlooked- how radio savvy are the other people in the car caravan? To make all this work, everyone is at least going to have to be mildly interested in radios. CB's are not exactly the warm cuddly things to install in a family chariots.. lets not even mention their antennas.
MURS with mag mount external antenna would probably be the best all around compromise- you can get considerable range out of them, and when they fail, go over to your 'cel phones...
........................CF

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I need to look into the specifics. My assumption was if I had a license any radio I owned could be used for that purpose even if I gave to a friend to use temporarily (a trip somewhere with me). What am I missing here?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For the most part the FCC licenses people not radios. Look at part 95.1705(c) for rules concerning who is covered under a GMRS license.
BB

SCPD

QRT
I just refresh'd my memory about who can operate a GMRS station---
Under a single license, a "Family"--- ( I quote 95.1705) :

"(2) Any individual who holds an individual license may allow his or her immediate family members to operate his or her GMRS station or stations. Immediate family members are the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws.........."
In West Virginia that could cover your whole County....... lol .... :)
...............CF

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
So if I buy a MURS radio it operates at frequencies 151.820 MHz, 151.880 MHz, 151.940 MHz (VHF) correct, and I do not need a license? And the range would be greater than FRS? Lastly, I believe the below radio would meet my specifications?

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5...TF8&qid=1507053693&sr=8-2&keywords=murs+radio

The range of 2 Watt MURS radios *should* be better than 1.5 Watt FRS radios in a vehicle if you are using an external (mag mount) antenna. FRS radios cannot legally use an external antenna and the vehicle body blocks a good part of the signal. Whether a MURS radio with an external antenna will add enough range for your needs, I do not know.

The five MURS frequencies (with bandwidth) are:
151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)
154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)
154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

You do not need a license to use MURS for personal or business use but the radio itself does need to be FCC Part 95, sub-part J approved to be legal to use on the the MURS frequencies. The BaoFeng UV-5R radio you link to is not approved for MURS. The BTech MURS-V1 radio is. Here is more information about that radio:
https://baofengtech.com/murs-v1
MURS-V1 Review - Miklor

Status
Not open for further replies.