RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2018, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
That's easy for some of us because we understand all the things that get in the way but the neophyte that goes to Walmart and buys a pair of radios that have a "25 mile range" has trouble with it. That guy figures everything will be fine because his mama only lives 5 miles away, the radio is good for 25 miles, so "I'm good to go." The fact of the matter is he might be lucky to get 5 blocks.
…and:
-that if 2 watts will get you "25 miles", 4 watts must get you 50 miles.
-antennas are not important
-advertising always tells the truth.
-the internet said so.
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2018, 7:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I think I remember reading in the old Monitoring Times Magazine that someone took their FRS radios into a mountainous region and easily talked to another person on another "mountain" well over the basic range of a mile or two. I do not remember the range but I believe it may have been10 miles, if not more.

Not 100%, my mind is a little foggy.
Old 01-25-2018, 7:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanman1958 View Post
I think I remember reading in the old Monitoring Times Magazine that someone took their FRS radios into a mountainous region and easily talked to another person on another "mountain" well over the basic range of a mile or two. I do not remember the range but I believe it may have been10 miles, if not more.

That's entirely possible. Line-of-sight (and especially with nothing in between) makes that a real possibility. That's virtually impossible in an urban situation and highly unlikely in most areas (except for those two mountains).

The earlier mention of Voyager I is a great example. 12 billion miles, line-of-sight. I think the only drawback for that is the 17 hours it takes the signal to get to earth.
Old 01-25-2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanman1958 View Post

Don't ask me to provide a link, this was probably 15 years ago.
There was an article where someone did, essentially, that. I believe it was 97 miles.

In reality, the limiting factor isn't the power output of the radio. It's the poor receivers and awful antennas. 1/2 a watt can go a long way if you have good equipment.