• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS base station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CQ

Is there a FRS base station that covers all FRS channels?

Is getting a GMRS license out of the question? You could always get this and be within license limits.

https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt115-micromobile-2-way-radio/

https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

How about MURS? No license needed and probably better coverage, especially with external antenna which you can't do with FRS. Can't say much about this equipment though.

https://www.dakotaalert.com/store/murs-alert-products/m-538bs-2-way-murs-base-station/

https://www.dakotaalert.com/store/murs-alert-products/m-538bs-2-way-murs-hand-held/

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...lti-use-radio-service-murs#block-menu-block-4

Be careful about the chinese stuff

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
MURS is limited to 2 watts. GMRS can have up to 50 watts, depending on the frequency, and also work with a repeater at the power. The other choice is to rent radios and repeater use, but than can be cheaper than maintaining your own repeater.

CQ

MURS is limited to 2 watts. GMRS can have up to 50 watts, depending on the frequency, and also work with a repeater at the power. The other choice is to rent radios and repeater use, but than can be cheaper than maintaining your own repeater.

The OP hasn't responded to the GMRS license question. If he's okay with paying for licensing and wanted to continue with a fixed station then there is a 15W limit. If he's mobile then that could bring it up to 50W but that's not what was asked.

I offered MURS since it's unlicensed, would provide wider coverage and allow for an external antenna which would be better than FRS with fixed HT antenna at 2W.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Between the 3, GMRS is the best way to go.
FRS = wattage limits are too low
MURS = wattage limits are too low
GMRS = 50 watt limit, antenna of your choice, repeater usage, cheap handhelds
can do GMRS.

Seems like a no brainer. GMRS license is now like $60+ for 5 years. 12 bucks
per year is well worth it

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
The OP hasn't responded to the GMRS license question. If he's okay with paying for licensing and wanted to continue with a fixed station then there is a 15W limit. If he's mobile then that could bring it up to 50W but that's not what was asked.
The 15 watt fixed station is only one of several possibilities under the new GMRS rules. They also allow base stations and repeaters up to 50 watts, same as the mobiles.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Between the 3, GMRS is the best way to go.
FRS = wattage limits are too low
MURS = wattage limits are too low
GMRS = 50 watt limit, antenna of your choice, repeater usage, cheap handhelds
can do GMRS.

Seems like a no brainer. GMRS license is now like $60+ for 5 years. 12 bucks
per year is well worth it

Now, I think if you get it it's 10 years, not just 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Those are both 1/2 watt models with only the old 14 FRS low power channels. I wonder if they are even still available.

The new FRS rules (effective 9/28/2017) allow up to 2 watts on 1-7 and added 15-22, also on 2 watts. 8-14 remain 1/2 watts for both FRS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Those are both 1/2 watt models with only the old 14 FRS low power channels. I wonder if they are even still available.

The new FRS rules (effective 9/28/2017) allow up to 2 watts on 1-7 and added 15-22, also on 2 watts. 8-14 remain 1/2 watts for both FRS.

Amazon says they are, if that's worth anything.

And it is what SpaceMann was asking for, not MURS, Not ham, not GMRS, he's asking about FRS...

Golay

FRS Base

Is there a FRS base station that covers all FRS channels?

McKenna had two good links. Depending on range, those may work well for you. If you're looking for greater range than those, your best option may be to get a used UHF mobile on a power supply, run an outside antenna, and program the FRS channels in the radio. Another option would be to use a ham radio modified to talk out of bands. That would give you front panel programming. You would not need a computer to reprogram, as opposed to using commercial equipment.

Last edited:

CQ

Like others have said, they don't make FRS base or mobile radios.
Your best option would be to get a UHF mobile on a power supply, run an outside antenna, and program the FRS channels in the radio.
Another option would be to use a ham radio modified to talk out of bands. That would give you front panel programming. You would not need a computer to reprogram, as opposed to using commercial equipment.

Illegal

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Like others have said, they don't make FRS base or mobile radios.

See post #2.

Your best option would be to get a UHF mobile on a power supply, run an outside antenna, and program the FRS channels in the radio.
Another option would be to use a ham radio modified to talk out of bands. That would give you front panel programming. You would not need a computer to reprogram, as opposed to using commercial equipment.

So much wrong in this statement. Illegal on many levels. Wrong on several.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I like that one. The manual says it has a removable antenna. If you need extra range, you can run feedline to an outside antenna.

yup. Has a BNC connector. My parents have this installed in there motor home with a 1/4 wave on the roof. It would not pick up any weather stations in the camper until I installed the outside antenna. I know a UHF whip isn't meant for weather but it works as intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.