RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2018, 6:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yep, not sure why CB'ers try and blast as much power as they can.. im surprised antennas arent melting. Also, I hear occasional FRS/GMRS activity at malls, when I go. I sometimes hear a bubble pack roger beep on buisness band frequencies.. anyone explain that?
KC1IEG is my callsign.
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2018, 7:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonScannerGuy View Post
Yep, not sure why CB'ers try and blast as much power as they can.. im surprised antennas arent melting. Also, I hear occasional FRS/GMRS activity at malls, when I go. I sometimes hear a bubble pack roger beep on buisness band frequencies.. anyone explain that?
You have people who will never understand that their over wide modulation is power wasted.
Old 01-16-2018, 9:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Yep, not sure why CB'ers try and blast as much power as they can.
I think it may be a macho thing.....perhaps a way to try to compensate for other deficiencies..
Old 01-16-2018, 9:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3ECJ View Post
There is now a new FRS radio with a mag mount car antenna that might do good.
A new FRS mobile radio? What make and model?

I have two of the Radio Shack 14 channel FRS magnet mount radios.

John
Peoria, AZ
Old 01-16-2018, 10:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
I think it may be a macho thing.....perhaps a way to try to compensate for other deficiencies..
Theyíre also the guys with full custom running lights on their trucks
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
A new FRS mobile radio? What make and model?

I have two of the Radio Shack 14 channel FRS magnet mount radios.

John
Peoria, AZ
Apparently the Midland 75-510xl. It may be something old and obscure that Ive mistaken for new.
https://www.wearecb.com/75510xlb-14-...frs-radio.html
Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3ECJ View Post
Apparently the Midland 75-510xl. It may be something old and obscure that Ive mistaken for new.
https://www.wearecb.com/75510xlb-14-...frs-radio.html
Midland 18-370 Magnet Mount Mobile Antenna for Midland 75-510XL Speak EasyM Mobile FRS Two-Way Radio (18370 18 370 183-70)
Old 01-16-2018, 11:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The Motorola TalkAbout GMRS/FRS bubble packs have the ugly roger "bloip" sound enabled by default. It can be disabled if desired to make the radio sound more professional instead of sounding like a kid's toy.

Motorola's business bubble packs as I call them including the RMM2050 VHF MURS radio have the same ugly roger "bloip" and is disabled by default but can be enabled in the programming if desired.
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)

Last edited by n1das; 01-16-2018 at 11:23 PM..
Old 01-17-2018, 9:45 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Odd. This was on UHF. And it wasnt a FRS/GMRS frequency...
KC1IEG is my callsign.
Old 01-17-2018, 9:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I sometimes hear a bubble pack roger beep on buisness band frequencies.. anyone explain that?
FRS/GRMS bubble pack radios aren't the only ones that have sound effects. What frequency was it? It could be soembody using Chinese factory frequencies out of the box or it could be a legitimate user.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:38 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Quote:
Odd. This was on UHF. And it wasnt a FRS/GMRS frequency...
Nothing odd about it. Motorola's UHF business bubble packs used on the popular UHF business channels (464.500, 464.550, 467.7625, 467.8125, 467.850, 467.875, 467.900, 467.925) have the annoying roger "bloip" option. The feature is (thankfully) disabled by default but can be enabled in the programming if desired.

The Motorola Talkabout GMRS/FRS bubble packs have the annoying roger bloip sound enabled by default but can be disabled if desired to make the radio sound more professional instead of sounding like a kid's toy.
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would think that would be in violation of the FCC regulations, since FRS radios aren't supposed to have detachable antennas.

John
Peoria, AZ
Old 01-17-2018, 12:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There was one weird radio shack unit that has the radio and transmitter in a little puck that went on your roof with a magnet base and the control head was just that a remote control head for the transmitter. I haven't looked into it, but don't the Midland GMRS micro mobile radios have FRS in them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 12:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have two of the Radio Shack mag-mount FRS radios.

Those micro-mobiles are GMRS, which share 7 channels with the FRS, while allowing up to 5 watts ERP and a detachable antenna.
The accessory antenna linked above attaches to an FRS handheld radio, which would seem to be in violation to me.

John
Peoria, AZ
Old 01-17-2018, 1:17 PM
Was MyMotoROLA
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here in Dallas we have a few repeaters, quite active during some parts of the day.

600 used to be the most active, to the point where when you turned on your radio and didn't hear anything something had to have been wrong with the repeater! (REACT repeater)
650 is a new one that got put up recently, most of the users are in the eastern part of Dallas County and that has a better footprint that direction so most everyone moved to that one.
675 is also used by REACT, it's down right now due to an antenna issue but we plan on getting it back on the air soon, used as a backup for our main system or "interop" when other REACT teams come to town.
725 in McKinney is another popular one and 725 in Arlington.

All of the repeaters except for 650 and 725 in McKinney use the travel tone. As far as FRS goes I don't monitor it as much as I'd like to, so I can't tell you about that. When I do monitor it I'm usually travelling. I stopped scanning MURS due to Walmarts and Sams Clubs using them non stop.

Last edited by Motoballa; 01-17-2018 at 1:22 PM.. Reason: Added MURS
Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
I would think that would be in violation of the FCC regulations, since FRS radios aren't supposed to have detachable antennas.

John
Peoria, AZ
That radio was actually short lived. It had its certification pulled for the reason you mentioned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

All comments may or may not resemble actual fact. Any message posted constitutes opinion only.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:29 PM

I live in rural central Minnesota, and I from time to time monitor FRS/GMRS from time to time. Iím normally more active with ham radio. We just had this conversation this morning about activity in our area at our ham radio weekend coffee. Around this area there is a fair amount of FRS traffic, majority is during summer time with being in lakes and parks area where itís a forum of communication among families. Also there is small amount of small business like lumber yards that use FRS. GMRS is used from time to time up here. Some owned Repeaters in the area that do get used few times a month, but nothing crazy.
Old 01-28-2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
Nothing odd about it. Motorola's UHF business bubble packs used on the popular UHF business channels (464.500, 464.550, 467.7625, 467.8125, 467.850, 467.875, 467.900, 467.925) have the annoying roger "bloip" option. The feature is (thankfully) disabled by default but can be enabled in the programming if desired.

The Motorola Talkabout GMRS/FRS bubble packs have the annoying roger bloip sound enabled by default but can be disabled if desired to make the radio sound more professional instead of sounding like a kid's toy.
Haha! I was one of those people who enabled my "bloip" on my RM series radio. Well, luckily I have grown up and turned it off. I don't use my RMM2050 as much anymore.
Old 01-30-2018, 9:56 PM

pretty dead in laughlin nv - bullhead city az , bordering river towns full of snowbirds
Old 02-02-2018, 9:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It depends on where you live... hear in Lexington,SC we have a couple local repeaters that a couple of us talk on,but other than that all I hear is little kids on simplex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk