• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS/GMRS: How does one tell if the radio is combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowWalker

A friend of mine bought a bubble pack radio set from Wal Mart that are supposed to be both FRS and GMRS combination radios. Is there any way to tell if an FRS radio set also broadcasts or receives the GMRS channels?

I don't trust the packaging claims anymore. FRS: 50 miles?????? Yeah, OK!

CQ

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine bought a bubble pack radio set from Wal Mart that are supposed to be both FRS and GMRS combination radios. Is there any way to tell if an FRS radio set also broadcasts or receives the GMRS channels?

Older bubble pack FRS only radios have only 14 (1-14) channels and no hi/lo power switch.

If the radio has 22 channels and you can select high or low power for some of them, it is a FRS/GMRS unit.

The distance claims are all based on very optimistic line of sight calculations, not real world use.

FWIW, the new FRS rules allow high power (2 watts or less) on channels 1-7 and 15-22. What was GMRS on these bubble pack radios is now FRS and GMRS. You can leave them on high power settings for those channels. I am pretty sure none of them allow high power on 8-14 anyway.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Since you are in British Columbia, the FCC rules don't matter.

Canada does things a little bit different. There's no license involved and all 22 channels are included.
Power limitation is 2 watts, non-removeable antenna. Very similar to the updated U.S. FCC rules.

Usually what you'll find on the radios that were released before the FCC rewrote it's rules back in the summer is…

The 8 Primary GMRS channels are full power, narrow band FM.
The 7 GMRS Interstitial channels that are shared with FRS (The 462.xxxx channels) are usually defaulted to the GMRS settings, 2 watts.
The other 7 "FRS only" channels, (467.xxxx) are under the FRS rules, so 500milliwatts.

A good breakdown on this is located here:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

Status
Not open for further replies.