RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 4:08 PM

Question GMRS settings

I am looking to program my kt-8900 to the GMRS frequencies using CHIRP.

Does anyone have the GMRS settings (or a link to them) including the tone and other settings that I may need?
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2018, 4:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here is a list of GMRS frequencies:
The Official GMRS Frequencies to Channels Chart

Tones are set by each repeater owner. The only "common" tone is the so-called "Traveler's" which is 141.3 Hz.
Old 01-05-2018, 9:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For simplex use, you can program whatever tone you want your family or other group to use. Or you can leave the radios in carrier squelch, that is, with no tone programmed. (If you use a tone, the regulations have required that you disable it momentarily in order to insure that there are no other conversations already taking place on the channel. If you were to attempt to contact another member of your party while another conversation is already taking place, not only can you interfere with their conversation, but their conversation can interfere with yours, resulting in frustration for everybody.)

In order to use a repeater, first you need permission of the repeater owner(s) to use their repeater, then you need to get the tones needed to access the repeater from them.

If there is a repeater on 462.6750 in your area, it *might* have the common travelers assistance tone of 141.3 Hz.

Go to mygmrs.com I think it is, and see if there are any repeaters in your area that might be available for your use. If there is, they may be free, or you may be asked to pay a fee to help with the costs of maintaining the repeater. Repeaters are not cheap to put up and keep up.

Before transmitting, be sure to acquire a license if you don't already have one

John
WPXJ598
Peoria, AZ

Last edited by KB7MIB; 01-05-2018 at 9:28 PM.. Reason: Typo, last sentence added
Old 01-06-2018, 10:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

On the local GMRS machine I sometimes use, there is only 1 PL tone, so no need do disable PL decode, as there could only be a conversatuon on that one tone. And it's not 141. But yes, you must get permission from the owner like I did to use his repeater. These are not open repeaters like a ham repeater. Make sure radio is set to wide band, as GMRS did not go narrow. 5 KHz tx dev.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was referring to simplex use, not repeaters, when I mentioned disabling any tone momentarily before transnitting to check for any already ongoing co-channel conversations.

And some GMRS repeaters are narrow, even though it is not required, such as several in the Phoenix metro area.
You need to check with the repeater owner to see if they are using regular or narrow FM. (No, I do not want to reignite the debate over the pros and cons of NFM vs. FM. I am simply stating that there are some NFM GMRS repeaters, and the OP needs to contact the repeater owner to see what settings are needed in his specific case.)

John
WPXJ598
Peoria, AZ
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2018, 1:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The OP should also be aware that the KT-8900 is not FCC Part 95 certified for GMRS use.

Tags
chirp, frequencies, gmrs, program, settings