• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NXDN on 462.5625

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Has NXDN been authorized on GMRS/FRS?
Here in Joplin MO, a new user has popped up with NXDN on 462.5625.
No Talkgroup displayed, RAN 63, about 50 RIDs.
Ho makes such (apparently illegal?) radios.
Thanks
W

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
No the FCC hasn’t changed the rules since September and then they only allowed digital for short data transmissions only on FRS. I’d urge you to reference the rules here by clicking this link so you can see for you self. Don’t take anyone’s word.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/08/29/2017-17395/personal-radio-service-reform

However, back to hearing the NXDN on FRS Ch 1. You’re going to hear digital modes, scramblers, and other things on the FRS / GMRS frequencies that are not technically allowed by the FCC. That’s just the way it is and it’s harmless.

-Dawson Adams
WQPN413
"I’m just here for the radios ok?”

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Alinco makes a small UHF NXDN (non-trunking radio) also.

The issue isn't the radio, it's the son of a monkey's uncle that programmed them.
End users with little/no experience in radio will often "Google" it and figure they know how to set up a server, therefore they are qualified to be a radio tech.
Or, certain nationwide radio service providers have been known to dump users on FRS and GMRS frequencies to make a quick buck.

Not surprising, not uncommon, not legal.

Remember, most think one or more of the following:
-It is only illegal if you get caught.
-The rules don't apply to me.
-Some stranger on the internet said it was OK.

n1das

Thanks
W

Is what you're hearing 12.5k NXDN or 6.25k NXDN?

If it's 12.5k NXDN (9600 baud), the equipment is most likely Kenwood NEXEDGE.
If it's 6.25k NXDN (4800 baud), equipment is most likely Icom iDAS or Kenwood NEXEDGE.

Kenwood NEXEDGE supports 12.5k and 6.25k NXDN. Icom iDAS is 6.25k NXDN only.

I have used Kenwood NEXEDGE and Icom iDAS radios together on 6.25k NXDN. I recently sold my Kenwood NX-300 UHF NEXEDGE handhelds I've owned since NEXEDGE first hit the market around 2009. I've moved on to DMR and other digital modes including P25 (Phase 1) and 900MHz DTR/DLR radios. The NX-300 is a good radio and great for GMRS in analog mode because it specifically has Part 95 Type Acceptance in addition to Part 90 on it. The NX-300 is squeaky clean and legal as GMRS equipment in analog mode (only).

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Kenwood and Icom. Not ‘illegal’ just a digital voice type being used in a service it is not authorized to be used on.

Which exactly fits the definition of "illegal."

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
Is what you're hearing 12.5k NXDN or 6.25k NXDN?

If it's 12.5k NXDN (9600 baud), the equipment is most likely Kenwood NEXEDGE.
If it's 6.25k NXDN (4800 baud), equipment is most likely Icom iDAS or Kenwood NEXEDGE.

Kenwood NEXEDGE supports 12.5k and 6.25k NXDN. Icom iDAS is 6.25k NXDN only.

I have used Kenwood NEXEDGE and Icom iDAS radios together on 6.25k NXDN. I recently sold my Kenwood NX-300 UHF NEXEDGE handhelds I've owned since NEXEDGE first hit the market around 2009. I've moved on to DMR and other digital modes including P25 (Phase 1) and 900MHz DTR/DLR radios. The NX-300 is a good radio and great for GMRS in analog mode because it specifically has Part 95 Type Acceptance in addition to Part 90 on it. The NX-300 is squeaky clean and legal as GMRS equipment in analog mode (only).

I’m moving towards P25. I don’t like DMR’s audio quality. I’ve heard a few NXDN radios in action and their audio sounds similar to P25 in my opinion.

-Dawson Adams
WQPN413

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I’m moving towards P25. I don’t like DMR’s audio quality. I’ve heard a few NXDN radios in action and their audio sounds similar to P25 in my opinion.

-Dawson Adams
WQPN413

P25 and DMR use the same AMBE2 vocoder with the same sampling rate and error correction. How can P25 sound better the DMR ? Only way possible is you're using a Motorola TRBO radio with really old firmware or perhaps a cheap Chinese DMR radio. After Motorola fixed the firmware on gen one and two radios the audio problems were gone.

I honestly cannot tell the difference between DMR and P25 sitting right next to each other.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
P25 and DMR use the same AMBE2 vocoder with the same sampling rate and error correction. How can P25 sound better the DMR ?

I will say that I have a XPR3500e and a CP200D, both have the same settings, nothing different that would make the audio sound better.

When receiving on the CP200D it sounds amazing, has a lot more bass to it and the quality is completely noticeable. The XPR3500e when receiving however is comparable to a cheap Chinese DMR radio, honestly. It doesn't have as much bass as the CP200D, so it sounds different to me.

If I compared my XTS3000 P25 to the XPR3500e and picked which one sounded better I would pick the 3000 over the 3500, despite the many features DMR has over P25 in conventional mode.

I could see it if he's comparing it to a cheap Chinese radio like you said or even in my case.

n1das

Thanks
W

W, any update on who it might be in your area? Repeater or simplex?

Status
Not open for further replies.