• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How would I take advantage of a repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdave365

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about mounting a GMRS radio in my car -- they are so cheap and given the licensing requirement, while not difficult to acquire, is still a barrier that will make it potentially more useful that CB radio because random people won't lawfully drop in reeking havoc...as much.

But I don't have a family or anyone else who might use one so if I went through the trouble and expense it would surely be just a lonely radio display. That is unless I joined a repeater. But I am not sure I understand how one "gets on" a GMRS repeater exactly. Are they open to the public? Do I pay someone a fee?

Take this as more a prompt for someone to explain to me the basics.

I_am_Alpha1

Search the web for GMRS repeaters in your area. You listed NYC as your location, you should find a few. However with that dense of an area with such large buildings, coverage may be iffy. The blister pack radios at WalMart are not what you are looking for...they only transmit simplex on FRS (used to be divided into FRS/GMRS but FCC changed all those radio's frequencies to FRS). You need a radio that can be programed for different transmit and receive frequencies and any CTCSS/DCS that the repeater may require. Some GMRS repeaters are open to the public and others are private--it's up to the equipment owner. If you use someone's repeater extensively it wouldn't be a bad idea to offer some money towards maintenance costs--repeaters can get spendy.

You may want to explore amateur (ham) radio. GMRS licenses are $60 with no test. Amateur radio requires a test--cost will be around $15 or less. Both are good for ten years. GMRS repeaters are stand-alone and don't have much power. Amateur repeaters can be linked and cover very large areas--even different states/countries. You can find on-line study guides for the ham radio test and search online for dates and locations of the tests.

In the meantime, consider buying a Baofeng UV5R--they are under $30 on E-Bay. Do NOT transmit on it, just listen and learn...both GMRS and Amateur. It's completely legal to listen...illegal to transmit without a license. A programming cable and a program called CHIRP makes setting it up very easy. After listening for awhile, you'll know which one (or both) you want to go with.

nafai

Where would one get such a license for GMRS?

In the US, via the FCC's universal licensing system. You can start here, create an account to get an FRN (FCC Registration Number—they love their acronyms), and then file a new application for a GMRS license. Normally processed within 24 hours.

lmrtek

Contact your local R.E.A.C.T. group.
Most of them own and operate GMRS repeaters

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am thinking about mounting a GMRS radio in my car -- they are so cheap and given the licensing requirement, while not difficult to acquire, is still a barrier that will make it potentially more useful that CB radio

Good radios are not cheap. Don't be fooled by the low end Midland GMRS mobile radios. There are a good option for some users, but they have an issue when it comes to running with repeaters. GMRS allows running 5kHz deviation on the GMRS channels, many repeaters are running this. Since the Midland radio only does 2.5kHz deviation, it's going to have issues. Audio will sound quiet and you'll probably get complaints.

You can do better, but you'll need to purchase a new or used commercial radio that has the FCC Part 95A certification. Many Kenwood commercial radios and some older Icom mobiles will meet this requirement. You cannot legally use any amateur radios on GMRS, so don't go that route, and stay away from the low tier Chinese radios.

because random people won't lawfully drop in reeking havoc...as much.

Uh, yeah.
Some GMRS repeaters do have this issue. There are unlicensed GMRS users. There are some amateur radio operators that mistakenly assume their license allows access to GMRS. There are some businesses that legally and illegally use GMRS. There are lots of issues, don't assume that GMRS will be void of the shenanigans you hear on CB and amateur radio.

But I don't have a family or anyone else who might use one so if I went through the trouble and expense it would surely be just a lonely radio display.

I'll suggest that unless you get into a group that is active on GMRS, you may find that using it for random contacts, like you would on CB or amateur radio, isn't common. Usually people are using GMRS for family/personal communications. Not saying you will not find any random contacts, but you may be disappointed if this is what you are looking for.

That is unless I joined a repeater. But I am not sure I understand how one "gets on" a GMRS repeater exactly. Are they open to the public? Do I pay someone a fee?

Start here:
https://www.mygmrs.com

This will tell you about any GMRS repeaters in your area. Contact the repeater owner and talk to them. They'll tell you if they charge a usage fee, and they can let you know if there are a group of users that use it for random chit-chat.

Take this as more a prompt for someone to explain to me the basics.

Basics are you need:
-Your GMRS license.
-A suitable radio (Must have FCC Part 95A certification), don't go with the cheap Chinese stuff.
-You will need a decent antenna on your car. No point in installing a $300 radio and then hooking it up to a $10 cheap antenna.
-Permission to use the repeater. They are considered "private property".
-Don't let anyone tell you to hack an amateur radio to work on GMRS. They are not legal for use there.

You may find that after you've used GMRS for a while, you'll want something more. GMRS can be a good "gateway" service that leads to amateur radio. You can -legally- program a commercial UHF radio to work on the 70cm amateur radio band

You may want to consider just getting your amateur radio license. If making random contacts is what you are looking for, it can be a better resource with a lot more capabilities.

tdave365

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info -- I haven't updated my profile in a while but I'm in Buffalo now -- on the dull side of the state for now. :) Still your explain is very informative and the database search applies here as well anywhere.

So, it sounds like private individuals and groups set these up which I suppose I rather understood intuitively but it helps to have it spelled out. Somehow the idea of people setting up repeater towers on their own initially seemed implausible but now that I've since Googled around a bit I see that it is kind of a thing among the hams. As you point out it apparently isn't that daunting a tech task after all. Their ability to link together then explains that nagging question I had about how people figure they'll always be close enough to one.

And thanks for the tip about the Wal-Mart one. I'm ashamed to say that is *exactly* the product I was looking at. Or something like it (or to be precise: https://www.walmart.com/ip/MicroMob...75035&wl11=online&wl12=54085122&wl13=&veh=sem ). It's 89 bucks and claims to be GMRS so I imagined that it was a given that it would hit a GMRS repeater, particularly since I took repeaters as almost synonymous with GMRS radio.

ipfd320

Banned
Wikipedia Link on Gmrs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mobile_Radio_Service#cite_note-FCC-GMRS-Canada-rule-15

Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved November 11, 2015. Use of frequencies 462.650, 467.6500, 462.7000 and 467.7000 MHz is not permitted near the Canadian border
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since You Mentioned Your in Buffalo--There are Certain Frequencies Prohibited for Use Near the Canada Border

FCC Line Usage Chart for Gmrs----Frequency Coordination with Canada Below 470 MHz

https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/frequency-coordination-canada-below-470-mhz#LineA

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
And thanks for the tip about the Wal-Mart one. I'm ashamed to say that is *exactly* the product I was looking at. Or something like it (or to be precise: https://www.walmart.com/ip/MicroMob...75035&wl11=online&wl12=54085122&wl13=&veh=sem ). It's 89 bucks and claims to be GMRS so I imagined that it was a given that it would hit a GMRS repeater, particularly since I took repeaters as almost synonymous with GMRS radio.

Was on sale a few weeks ago. Many WalMarts throughout the country mistakenly marked it as $15. Whoops! ;) It's actually on sale for $50 regularly, and $50 plus the license fee plus antenna isn't a bad way of getting your feet wet and seeing if you like GMRS. Is it going to be the best radio out there? Of course not, but as a beginner radio just to see if GMRS is for you, it's not a bad way of going without spending hundreds of dollars on commercial gear.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Was on sale a few weeks ago. Many WalMarts throughout the country mistakenly marked it as $15. Whoops! ;) It's actually on sale for $50 regularly, and $50 plus the license fee plus antenna isn't a bad way of getting your feet wet and seeing if you like GMRS. Is it going to be the best radio out there? Of course not, but as a beginner radio just to see if GMRS is for you, it's not a bad way of going without spending hundreds of dollars on commercial gear.

Keep in mind that this radio dioes not appear to support GMRS repeater use. The channel selection only shows the standard 15 GMRS output channels, not the repeater input frequencies.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that this radio dioes not appear to support GMRS repeater use. The channel selection only shows the standard 15 GMRS output channels, not the repeater input frequencies.

Ahhhhh, you're right. I never looked at WalMart's website for the info. Got it straight from Midland. So this unit MXT90 is not made anymore, which explains the sale price. The lowest model appears to be the MXT105 now, which is like $111. The description says 15 channel, yet the display shows it on channel 22. LOL!! Not sure if it is a mistype, or if the pic is just wrong.

Looks like the one that definitely supports repeaters is the MXT115, with a MSRP of $150.

nd5y

Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved November 11, 2015. Use of frequencies 462.650, 467.6500, 462.7000 and 467.7000 MHz is not permitted near the Canadian border
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since You Mentioned Your in Buffalo--There are Certain Frequencies Prohibited for Use Near the Canada Border
This was removed from Part 95 when the rules were changed last year.
Now there is no mention of Line A or restricted GMRS operations near the Canadian border in Part 95.

nafai

This was removed from Part 95 when the rules were changed last year.
Now there is no mention of Line A or restricted GMRS operations near the Canadian border in Part 95.

The license I was just issued last week still lists those restrictions:

Exception: Licensees who operate North of Line A and East of Line C may not operate on channels 462.650 MHZ,467.650 MHZ, 462.700 MHZ and 467.700 MHZ unless your previous license authorized such operations.

Guessing they've just not updated the waivers/conditions in their system yet? Form still lists an August 2007 date at the bottom.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Just a few related comments... For the most part, GMRS repeaters, where available, are used by families or other small groups. I'm sure that there are exceptions, but I haven't heard too many GMRS repeaters where there is a lot of interaction between unrelated users.

If your primary intent is to communicate with other users (i.e. - chat), your best option by far would be to pursue your amateur radio license. In most communities, there are multiple amateur repeaters and other radio-oriented folks to communicate with. The amateur Technician license test is relatively easy and would give you full privileges on amateur VHF and UHF frequencies. You could probably even find a local ham club to join.

- John AC4JK

RFI-EMI-GUY

That's strange. Maybe removing that from part 95 was an error.
It would not be the only error. A lot of the historical knowledge has been retired from the FCC, likewise the GMRS community has aged and moved on or died.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Just a few related comments... For the most part, GMRS repeaters, where available, are used by families or other small groups. I'm sure that there are exceptions, but I haven't heard too many GMRS repeaters where there is a lot of interaction between unrelated users.
Here in the Midwest that is not the case. North Shore Emergency Association (NSEA) has been around since 1962, and has had three community repeaters in continuous operation since 1973.

There is now a network* of repeaters which range geographically from Michigan to Utah! This network also provides connectivity via Zello so that GMRS licensed operators can take part even if there are no GMRS repeaters available to them locally. Zello users are not admitted to the system until their GMRS license is verified. A directed net takes place every Saturday evening at 2000 hrs CT

* See http://nwigmrs.com for details.

SQP

Senior Member OMIK
Hey there, Bill, it doesn't seems to like my Zello. Please PM me for any special access as well as other repeater happenings. Thanks N9EXR WQXC323

Status
Not open for further replies.