• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NMO Antenna continuity / isolation problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafai

Greetings all, complete newbie to all things radio, researched for a few weeks and settled on a GMRS system for my vehicle.

I'm installing a Midland MXT400 and paired it with the MXTA10 3db gain antenna. I've got my antenna cable ran to my NMO mount and have confirmed solid ground of the mount, as well as good circuit isolation between the NMO mount center pen and the threaded mount, as well as the vehicle. I've also checked at the radio end, the PL-259 has isolation between positive and ground, and has continuity with the ground and vehicle ground. So it appears that the cable and mount are fine.

So I went to measure SWR with a Kalibur SWR meter designed for a CB system. After adjusting the system to Low power, and adjusting for the needle to hit the Set at the end, I switched it to Ref and hit transmit and it immediately redlined. Now after that happened (and an immediate bad electrical smell from the SWR) I've done more research and I expect to be told that this SWR meter is no good for GMRS or for the wattage of this unit, or both. BUT...

Since it looked like I was getting 100% reflection, I thought I should double check for a short, and lo and behold, the whip on the antenna has continuity with the mount and ground. I re-checked my cable run and mount and it still seemed properly isolated so I tested the center pin on the antenna to its own inner threads, and there is continuity, a complete short. Same from the whip to the inner threads, and when screwed onto the mount, between the whip and vehicle ground. Shouldn't those be fully isolated from each other? It was hard taking the pictures while holding the leads, but I assure you the leads are not touching.

Any help is appreciated. I've unplugged everything in the meantime, as I'm not keen on starting a fire. :p

Attachments

• mount-isolation.JPG
    mount-isolation.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 377
  • ground-continuity.JPG
    ground-continuity.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 352
  • what-the-short.JPG
    what-the-short.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 370

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I see nothing unusual. Except that the SWR meter you used is for CB (27MHz). It will NOT read correctly on the antenna you have for GMRS.

FKimble

Inside the black plastic part of the antenna are electrical components that will keep your antenna from showing an open when ohming out the center to shield. This is normal. With ant off, as long as you show no continuity with center to shield of cabling, you should be good.

Frank KK4YTM

nafai

Well that's a relief, thanks for the fast replies.

check continuity between the center pin of the mount and the center pin of the coax connector at the radio.

I guess this is the part that confuses me the most. Currently with no antenna installed, I have continuity with the center pin of the NMO mount and the center pin of the PL-259 radio-side, and both are isolated from ground. When the antenna is installed, the center pin of the PL-259 radio-side registers a closed circuit to ground, which I thought was a bad short that will ruin the radio and potentially be fire-inducing.

Last edited:

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
A loaded antenna (base load) will normally show a short to ground when on the mount. A standard 1/4 wave whip will not. This is normal on most antenna's. I would find someone with the proper SWR meter to check. I find that 99% of the cut charts that come with a loaded/gain antenna get you pretty close to use efficiently. a 1/4 wave is the simplest.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Well that's a relief, thanks for the fast replies.

I guess this is the part that confuses me the most. Currently with no antenna installed, I have continuity with the center pin of the NMO mount and the center pin of the PL-259 radio-side, and both are isolated from ground. When the antenna is installed, the center pin of the PL-259 radio-side registers a closed circuit to ground, which I thought was a bad short that will ruin the radio and potentially be fire-inducing.

Center pin to center pin should show continuity. Center to ground should show none. Ground (sleeve) to ground should show continuity. With the antenna in, it should show some between center and ground, that's how it works, and gets a ground plane. I've never had an NMO antenna that's properly installed, as yours is, "start a fire".

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I would show you on one of mine, but I'm currently stripping my old truck and getting ready to install into my new one..

nafai

Got it, thanks for your patience with my lack of knowledge. I’ve ordered a 150w 120-500MHz SWR meter, should have it tomorrow and I’ll report back. Hopefully my error of using a CB SWR meter just led to some ignorant paranoia and I’ve got a solid install.

nafai

Ok here are my readings. First on Channel 1 @ 5w:

attachment.php

Next on Channel 22 @ 15w:

attachment.php

And lastly Channel 22 but @ full power 40w:

attachment.php

So if this meter is functioning properly, looks okay, yeah? Am I missing anything? If not I'm pretty stoked to have this SWR in a Jeep JK, all the owners I've talked to seem thrilled to get anything around a 2:1. Fender mount for the win.

Attachments

• chan-1-lo-power.jpg
    chan-1-lo-power.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 528
  • chan-22-med-power.jpg
    chan-22-med-power.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 515
  • chann-22-hi-power.jpg
    chann-22-hi-power.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 511

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Bolt her down and fire it up.. you're all set

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Knoxradio

I've got a buddy that is about to do a GMRS install on a JK, which fender mount did you use? Thanks in advance!

nafai

Knoxradio, I went with this fender mount from Right Channel Radios. Of the ones I found that you could purchase separately without buying a full radio kit, it was the only one I found that was rounded (and shaped properly for the Jeep's hood). It also uses an existing fender bolt so it's no-drill.

Since that mount is made for CB, your friend will need to get a 3/8" compatible NMO mount. I snagged mine from the Antenna Farm.

Attachments

• IMG_3400.jpg
    IMG_3400.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 217

Knoxradio

Knoxradio, I went with this fender mount from Right Channel Radios. Of the ones I found that you could purchase separately without buying a full radio kit, it was the only one I found that was rounded (and shaped properly for the Jeep's hood). It also uses an existing fender bolt so it's no-drill.

Since that mount is made for CB, your friend will need to get a 3/8" compatible NMO mount. I snagged mine from the Antenna Farm.
I have an XJ and my CB is mounted similarally, using an existing fender bolt, but went through the roof with a 1/4 wave NMO mount antenna for GMRS. Thanks for the info, that has probably saved us a lot of searching and trial and error.

nafai

ground planes on jeeps?
thats why god made 1/2 wave antennas

Those look pretty nice! I'd be worried about snapping a 41" center load where my JK roams though. And I'm in a mountainous and rocky area, so was trying to balance vertical vs horizontal radiation. Aren't those 5-6db gain more suited for open road / interstate travel and flat terrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.