• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS only

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisKink

Since I'm strictly a noob to GMRS,I have been looking around trying to find the "perfect" transceiver to buy.Most of the radios I see are of the FRS/GMRS variety. Are there any radios that are strictly GMRS only? I think I am wanting a higher power radio.

RogueSteward

You could always get a programmable radio and program only GMRS frequencies and leave out any FRS channels from selection.

bharvey2

If you're interested in a good quality radio and want to stay away from the blister-pack kids toys, you may want to consider a Kenwood TK-390 handheld or a TK 880 or TK8180 mobile radio. All are widely available on the used market, are fairly inexpensive and reliable. You will need a programming cable and software but those are easy to come by as well. Additionally they're certified for Part 95 use so you'll be on the "up and up" if that's to your liking. They're available in different band splits (frequency ranges) so you'll need to make sure you're purchasing one that encompasses the GMRS band.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Been a while since I've been active on GMRS, but back when I was, I used Icom commercial radios.
Most serious GMRS users do.

A commercial radio will outperform the consumer grade radios as well as give you a lot more options.

The trick is finding a commercial radio that has the necessary FCC Part 95 certifications. The Kenwood's mentioned above do, as do some of the older Icom's.

Plus, adding a good external antenna on a mobile radio will greatly improve performance, either as a mobile or a base.

DennisKink

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned that I want a hand held capable of getting on repeaters. With as many ch power as possible. I think I want all this,maybe someone will steer me in another direction.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
GMRS HT

Take a look at this review and radio. BTech GMRS V1 - Miklor

Miklor is an established and trusted site. These are not Motorola quality but appear to be better than the entry level Baofengs and should neet your needs.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A used Kenwood TK-3180 will do a lot, and can be had reasonably inexpensive.

Don't fall for the new guy mistake of looking for the highest power output you can. RF power isn't as important as your antenna. Adding more power will drain batteries faster and not get you as much additional range as you might think. It's all about good antennas and sensitive receivers, something you'll never get from the bubble pack consumer radios.

The Kenwood programming software is easy to use. Accessories are plentiful and inexpensive since it shares them with a lot of other Kenwood models.

I've got one I use as a shop radio, and for a basic analog UHF radio, I'm pretty happy with it.

RadioGuy7268

For example:

My GMRS repeater is located on a rather prominent ridge (not a mountaintop), and I get an honest 12-14 mile full quieting range with 25 watt commercial grade mobiles and roof mounted antennas. I can still hear with the portables at 10-12 miles out, but I can't key the repeater from inside my car w/ a portable at that range.

Used Motorola M1225 mobiles are a dime a dozen, the software is accessible & easy to figure out, and they're part 95 type accepted. Kenwoods aren't bad either, and the software is just as easy to find.

KB7MIB

Since you want a handheld, commercial grade ones are pretty much limited to 4 watts output, which is still twice the 2 watts or so that the bubble-pack toy radios give you.

With a real 4 watt commercial grade radio, you get a detachable antenna. Which means that, under the rules, you cannot use FRS channels 8-14. (These channels are also limited by the rules to 0.5 watts ERP.)

Personally, I would program in channels 1-7 for short range simplex use, as well as channels 15-22, with both simplex and repeater capability. A GMRS license allows you to use all of those channels, so put them all in.

John
WPXJ598
Peoria, AZ

DennisKink

Since you want a handheld, commercial grade ones are pretty much limited to 4 watts output, which is still twice the 2 watts or so that the bubble-pack toy radios give you.

With a real 4 watt commercial grade radio, you get a detachable antenna. Which means that, under the rules, you cannot use FRS channels 8-14. (These channels are also limited by the rules to 0.5 watts ERP.)

Personally, I would program in channels 1-7 for short range simplex use, as well as channels 15-22, with both simplex and repeater capability. A GMRS license allows you to use all of those channels, so put them all in.

John
WPXJ598
Peoria, AZ

So which radio would you recommend?

DennisKink

A used Kenwood TK-3180 will do a lot, and can be had reasonably inexpensive.

Don't fall for the new guy mistake of looking for the highest power output you can. RF power isn't as important as your antenna. Adding more power will drain batteries faster and not get you as much additional range as you might think. It's all about good antennas and sensitive receivers, something you'll never get from the bubble pack consumer radios.

The Kenwood programming software is easy to use. Accessories are plentiful and inexpensive since it shares them with a lot of other Kenwood models.

I've got one I use as a shop radio, and for a basic analog UHF radio, I'm pretty happy with it.

I found one of those for a decent price,but looks complicated to use as I don't know squat about these radios.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I found one of those for a decent price,but looks complicated to use as I don't know squat about these radios.

TK-390 also is Part 95. Cheaper than the TK-3180, but older. Plentiful for chargers, batteries and audio accessories as well to be had.

I just bought 6 for my in laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bharvey2

The TK3180 is a nice radio. While it is capable of trunking, you don't need to program any trunking capabilities. As I recall, when you first open the programming software to write a new codeplug, you can choose the mode of operation. Chose the non-trunking option and it becomes pretty simple. If you're comfortable programming radios with other software I think you'll find it fairly intuitive. Although it has many additional features, you don't need to make use of them.

KB7MIB

So which radio would you recommend?

I personally do not have a recommendation. I have an old Icom U16 handheld, but it needs a new battery pack I believe. Secondly, 3 of the 4 main GMRS repeaters here in the Phoenix metro area are narrowband, and the U16 is only wideband. And lastly, my family isn't really all that interested in using radios, so I'm the only one who has a GMRS capable radio. I monitor once in awhile via my scanners, but otherwise I'm inactive on the GMRS. (Yes, I just renewed my license anyway.)

John
WPXJ598
Peoria, AZ

DennisKink

The TK3180 is a nice radio. While it is capable of trunking, you don't need to program any trunking capabilities. As I recall, when you first open the programming software to write a new codeplug, you can choose the mode of operation. Chose the non-trunking option and it becomes pretty simple. If you're comfortable programming radios with other software I think you'll find it fairly intuitive. Although it has many additional features, you don't need to make use of them.

GMRS trunks?

KB7MIB

GMRS trunks?

No, he was saying that the radio is capable of trunking. Trunking is not (normally*) used in the GMRS.

* I wouldn't be surprised to find a trunked system using GMRS channels, since some users are also using digital modes that are not permissible in the GMRS.

John
WPXJ598
Peoria, AZ

DennisKink

No, he was saying that the radio is capable of trunking. Trunking is not (normally*) used in the GMRS.

* I wouldn't be surprised to find a trunked system using GMRS channels, since some users are also using digital modes that are not permissible in the GMRS.

John
WPXJ598
Peoria, AZ
Ok thanks. (See how dumb a noobs questions can be :) )

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok thanks. (See how dumb a noobs questions can be :) )

Nah, these are good questions, don't sell yourself short.

The consumer grade radios are designed to be simple to operate, and thus have simplified interfaces.

The commercial radios are designed to be programmed by a radio shop or radio tech to fill the needs of the end user, so they appear to be very complicated.

The nice thing is, you can set them up the way YOU want. It takes some time and experience to be good at it, but it's a good thing.
I had a couple of Icom's when I was active on GMRS. I had my own set up to allow a lot of complex functions. The other radios were set up to be more "fool proof". Most of the functions were disabled and just the "need to have" stuff was available to the user, on/off-volume, channel change, push to talk. That is a great way to set up a radio for kids or non-technical types, less trouble they can get into, less mistakes can be made.

As you get more experience, you can open up more of the functions.

But as others said, these radios will have functions you'll never use.

Status
Not open for further replies.