• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

equipment list for paid install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

hi. i have a midland mxt400 and would like to install it on my equinox 2013. i have an installer but they say is probably a lot cheaper if i buy are the materials etc. So

I'd like an nmo mount and an nmo antenna (the shorter one) for gmrs. I am thinking the antenna would go over the middle dome light so need about 12 feet of wire.

im not sure on the types of nmo mounts and which ones come with wire etc. Since its over the dome light i think access could be from either way then to the middle pillar or possible the front pillar on the dash into and under it.

Could anyone point me to a website for these materials?

I already have a circuit box for power. I'd like to order the items and have them for the installer.

Thank you.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's easy enough to do. You can order NMO mounts with cable and connectors of your choice, extra long cables, no cable, etc.
Usually they come with 12-18 feet of cable, so not an issue. Routing the cable before putting the connector on makes installation easier. Not having to force a big PL-259 through the vehicle makes life easier. A good installer will have no issue properly installing the connector.

I'm a fan of Larsen products, so that's what I've provided:
NMO mount with 17 feet of cable https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmokhfudpli-1867

Or, order without the connector, the installer probably has lots of them:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmokhfud-1125

A basic 1/4 wave antenna will serve you well in your area. 6 inches tall, pretty low profile, and they work well.
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmoqw450-801
1/4 wave antennas are pretty wide banded, so you likely wouldn't need to tune it.
If your installer will tune the antenna for you, go with one of these:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmoqc-767
They have a nicer base and only cost a few bucks more.

Also, the UHF quarter wave antennas will easily cover the 70 centimeter band, so if you ever decide to replace the Midland with a commercial radio, you can use it for both GMRS and the 70 cm band.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Forgot to add,
For small orders, Antenna Farm has pretty good prices, good customer service and an excellent selection. I've purchased from them when ordering small quantities that put me under minimum orders at my usual suppliers.

Delivers1234

Mmckenna,

Thank you for your reply. So in terms of the antennas...
"A basic 1/4 wave antenna will serve you well in your area. 6 inches tall, pretty low profile, and they work well.
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...n-nmoqw450-801
1/4 wave antennas are pretty wide banded, so you likely wouldn't need to tune it.
If your installer will tune the antenna for you, go with one of these:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmoqc-767"

So my two other antennas have springs. Would the 1/4 (6 inch antenna be able to have a spring? It looks like I might not need a spring since it is low profile. My worry is that it will be mounted near the windshield (over the center middle dome light (between the front and rear seats) and will take a lot of wind. Will the mount be good without a spring since it is low profile in that area? or any area? If I had a spring though the aesthetics would be better as well.

Is there an option for a spring for the gmrs antenna that is short?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So my two other antennas have springs. Would the 1/4 (6 inch antenna be able to have a spring? It looks like I might not need a spring since it is low profile. My worry is that it will be mounted near the windshield (over the center middle dome light (between the front and rear seats) and will take a lot of wind. Will the mount be good without a spring since it is low profile in that area? or any area? If I had a spring though the aesthetics would be better as well.

Is there an option for a spring for the gmrs antenna that is short?

The UHF 1/4 waves are only 6 inches tall, so it would be difficult to install a spring on it and have it do any good. The one 12db linked to looks like it would do the trick, but being that short, I can't think of many places where it would be a benefit.

Wind won't be an issue, the profile is so small the wind will not affect it at all. I've used these on top of full size trucks and SUV's and you likely won't notice it up there. No discernible additional wind noise.
And even if something did strike the whip, they are flexible enough to take it. Likely the rubber base grommet would pull out before the NMO did.

There are other options…
"Puck" style antennas,
Taller 5/8th's wave antennas with springs.
Co-linear whips with springs.
But the truth is, a 6 inch whip on top of a mid sized SUV isn't going to be an issue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Either one will work fine.
The NMOQW-450 is a quarter wave antenna, about 6 inches tall.
The ANXA450 is a half wave antenna, about 14 inches tall.

The half wave antenna will give you a bit more gain when used over a ground plane. 2.15dB difference over the 1/4 wave, if i recall correctly.

Delivers1234

I remembered I have this antenna:

NMO 2/70SH
Frequency: 144-148 & 440-450 MHz.
Gain: 0/1.8 dBd (2/4 dBi)
Type: Center 1/4 Wave & 3/4 Wave
Power: 200 Watts
Base: NMOUHFBASEB Spring
Whip: W NMO 2/70 SH Chrome
Height: 19 inches (49 cm)
Comment: Low profile with spring.

Order: #4127

I don't use it. Could I change the whip? to make it 450-470? gmrs? or just cut the whip?

Last edited:

KB7MIB

You could cut the whip, but you'd have to do so after installing it, and the cuts would have to be in small fractions of an inch at a time, then checking the SWR with a meter after every cut to see if it's where you want it to be. It'd be easier to just replace the whip, if there's no coil in the base that is designed to be used with the current whip.

John
Peoria, AZ

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes, you could cut it. The base is just a standard base, no coil. But the dual band antenna is pretty useful as is, and a basic UHF 1/4 wave will cost you about $7. Cutting the dual band whip would be kind of a waste.

As it is, the dual band antenna is going to be tuned a bit low for GMRS, plus it's a 3/4 wave, which isn't ideal for what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.