• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS/GMRS vs. Handheld CB radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Any handheld CB is going to be somewhat disappointing. As CB uses AM, you will get static and noise as distance between units increases. Also (and likely more relevant) the antenna for CB needs to be quite a bit larger (a 1/4 wavelength is 9 feet compared to 6 inches for FRS/GMRS). While antenna can be made smaller, they lose effectiveness as they 'shrink'. Also a 1/4 wave antenna is 'looking' for a 'ground plane ' of similar dimensions. The chassis of a handheld will supply this much better at UHF frequencies than at CB frequencies. A possible advantage to CB would be that you are more likely to find an open 'channel' as most people have moved to FRS/GMRS. Expect range of around a mile or less and you will not be disappointed. The main factor for range is antenna height. If the 'base camp' is up on a hill range will improve dramatically. Either of the two is basically 'line of sight' with the GMRS/FRS being more consistent.

KB7MIB

MURS, the Multi-Use Radio Service, should also be looked at as a 3rd option.

5 channels. 2 watts. VHF. External antennas are permitted. May have better range than a 22 channel FRS/GMRS radio, even at the same power output. (Higher power and external antennas on GMRS require a license.) Depending on the popularity of the campground, there may be fewer fellow campers on the MURS channels, versus the FRS/GMRS channels.

John
Peoria, AZ

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And we are in solar minimum so CB will not have the skip interference that can even drown out close rransmitters. But when solar maximum starts, at least during the day, skip could well drown out almost all communication on CB. GMRS and FRS is not usually subject to skip or thermal ducting thus little interference. I am not in the USA but understand GMRS requires a license but can use higher power. FRS is limited to ? 2 watts and no allowance for replacing antenna. Another option in the USA is the MURS frequencies but I cannot comment on this as it is not available in Canada.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Let's say for a scenario: camping in the woods. Which would you prefer and why?

wyShack has good points.

The antenna requirements for CB sort of make it a poor choice for hand held use.
UHF (FRS and GMRS) can put a very reasonably sized antenna on a hand held radio, and it can work well.

CB with it's noise can get tiring.

Even though FRS and GMRS are more popular, there's often little use, especially when you are well away from the cities. For years, I used GMRS with family while out on our ATV's. It worked pretty well with 4 watt commercial hand held radios. We've since switched to VHF, running higher power mobiles in UTV's. Not sure I'd consider using CB again for that use.

The key to good UHF performance is having a good antenna. Most of the consumer grade/Wal*Mart radios have antennas that are physically short and will not perform as well as a longer antenna.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I would echo what wyShack and mmckenna said - I'd avoid CB and go with FRS or GMRS. If you have a GMRS license you can even use the full power on the GMRS frequencies which extends the range.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, forgot about MURS, a good option.

In some cases, VHF can outperform UHF in heavy foliage. A good 2 watt MURS radio with a decent antenna would be a great option.
Unfortunately finding good MURS radios varies form difficult to expensive.
My brother in law is using the Ritron PT150M MURS radios for his tower crews. They are pretty solid radios. Probably a bit expensive, but they'd last longer than any of the consumer grade stuff.
https://www.ritron.com/PTSeries-Ritron-2-Way-Radios

lmrtek

I always use FRS radios because they give good range, have low noise floor, and can use AA batteries.
CB is nothing but noise and skip most of the time.
MURs radios work ok but most lack the ability to use AA batteries.

spacellamaman

i have recieved MURS stuff at relatively long ranges in the woods. there are some high end motion detectors you can buy that will tx the alert on MURS. "Alert Zone Two...Alert Zone Two" in a soothing female voice. i live on 30acres with no clue how far away its coming from, as my closest neighbors seem the least likely to have such things set up. i estimate its at least a mile away and through solid woods.

since you mentioned camping and are willing to tote bulky things like a handheld CB, then you'll love my next idea. assuming a bnc connection:

short part-
bnc male connector-short length of wire-allegator clip/bullet connector

long part-
long length of wire-allegator clip/bullet connector
wrapped/taped/twisted around a multisection fiberglass tent pole

type with elastic cord thru center
https://www.google.com/search?q=fib..._7MvbAhWB7VMKHWxUBF4Q_AUICygC&biw=939&bih=446

ya just unfold it, hold in hand (or my favorite, put one end in a pants pocket) clip antenna to radio and you're set.

i found some discarded on the beach years ago that were over 20ft long, most are way shorter, but ya have options.

either way it loads of fun and the chicks dig it. go ahead try it out, you'll love it. $10 cost, 10 minutes effort, and you'll be knockin squirrels outta trees in no time.

Side Note:
being unsurprisingly disappointed in BNC handheld antennas for CB/Low Band has me still pursuing one that is at least decent-ish. best so far i have found is the W-881 Portable Antenna. anyone have suggestions?

i don't care about length, it just can't be so heavy that it puts serious strain on the radio, and it needs to be flexible enough that i can smack it into stuff on a regular basis, making a telescoper unsuitable. it has to be bnc cause i don't need a bunch of adapters adding to the strain.

i have had no success in locating a Comtelco PEXL36 BNX (BNC connector) as the few who offer it for sale turn out not to have any. mentioned here: https://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-receiver-antennas/227135-vhf-low-rubber-duck-success.html

anyone know where i could get one, or similar, from a non-overseas supplier?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.