RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2018, 2:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default building a GMRS repeater

hello everybody,

just was wondering if anybody would have any Motorola GR-300 Chassis laying around without anything but the power supply inside..?
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2018, 8:42 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Motorola still has some of the CDR chassis for sale.
Old 07-12-2018, 2:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

could you link me to that site please ??
Old 07-13-2018, 5:50 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I can check my storage in a few weeks. I had 3 or 4 left just 4 states from me right now.
Old 07-13-2018, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0CCB View Post
hello everybody,

just was wondering if anybody would have any Motorola GR-300 Chassis laying around without anything but the power supply inside..?
Building a repeater from scratch is not for the average person. It requires skill, the radio parts, a controller, a duplexer, good coax and a good antenna. Then there is the issue of a tower to hold the antenna, a shelter or outdoor cabinet to fit the radios system into and don't forget the FCC license to operate the repeater under.

While your considering all of the above, don't forget that you will need some test equipment to align up the radio receiver and transmitter. Then you need to tune the duplexer for the 2 frequencies you will be using. Lastly you will need a good watt meter to be able to look at the antenna system while transmitting.

Once you manage to get over these hurdles, you can enjoy the use of the repeater. Expect to have to pay something for rent at the tower, share in the electrical expense for the power you will use and lastly, expect to pay to have the antenna installed on the tower along with the coax cable.

Normal tower crews don't come cheap. Generally you can expect the shock of your life when they tell you it will cost about $2000 just to show up at the tower. It can go up from there. Sometimes you can get a break if things are slow for them, but they don't work for nothing.

You asked the question, so now you have an idea what it takes. Remember, your repeater will only be as good as the equipment you use. Some radio equipment have decent shielding and others you might as well just throw in the trash can. Those you will never get to play well in repeater service.

Hope the above can provide some thought to think about.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim202 View Post
Building a repeater from scratch is not for the average person. It requires skill, the radio parts, a controller, a duplexer, good coax and a good antenna. Then there is the issue of a tower to hold the antenna, a shelter or outdoor cabinet to fit the radios system into and don't forget the FCC license to operate the repeater under.

While your considering all of the above, don't forget that you will need some test equipment to align up the radio receiver and transmitter. Then you need to tune the duplexer for the 2 frequencies you will be using. Lastly you will need a good watt meter to be able to look at the antenna system while transmitting.

Once you manage to get over these hurdles, you can enjoy the use of the repeater. Expect to have to pay something for rent at the tower, share in the electrical expense for the power you will use and lastly, expect to pay to have the antenna installed on the tower along with the coax cable.

Normal tower crews don't come cheap. Generally you can expect the shock of your life when they tell you it will cost about $2000 just to show up at the tower. It can go up from there. Sometimes you can get a break if things are slow for them, but they don't work for nothing.

You asked the question, so now you have an idea what it takes. Remember, your repeater will only be as good as the equipment you use. Some radio equipment have decent shielding and others you might as well just throw in the trash can. Those you will never get to play well in repeater service.

Hope the above can provide some thought to think about.

Correct me if I am wrong....but I think all he asked for was a GR-300 Chassis.....not how to build the thing from scratch. And, this is 2018, not 1970.... he can easily buy the radios (2) programmed to the freqs he needs, properly tuned and even a tuned duplexer the same way for little to very little in cost. I build them all day long on the cheap for around $200.00 max with used radios. What used to take a day or two to put all things together and make ready for use can now be done in just a few hours. Also, you failed to mention that he could check around with some of his GMRS or ham groups within his community and find someone that would climb a tower for little or nothing. In addition, if he looks around his town he would probably find free roof space to place his antenna and repeater on. A real tall tower no doubt is great, but in most cases not everyone needs a real tall tower for their antenna. Hope he found his chassis and didn't get spooked and hooked'em.

Tags
echolink, gmrs, ham, irlp