• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Digital noise on 467.5625

Status
Not open for further replies.

plughie

While scanning on the San Francisco Bay peninsula, I have been getting a digital squawk on FRS channel 8, 467.5625 MHz. Is there any shared use between this frequency and public safety, commercial DMR/P25, etc. that should be expected, or is this more likely an illegal squatting on the FRS band? I don’t really want to take FRS 8 out of my scan list, but this is really annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ergbert

Perhaps a spurious emission from someone configuring a digital CCR somewhere in the business bands. Or a deliberate use, figuring the legion of bubble pack users will just select another channel. Hard to say, really.

plughie

Perhaps a spurious emission from someone configuring a digital CCR somewhere in the business bands.

Sounds way too loud for multiple miles through the woods to be spurious. I’m guessing it’s either a very high antenna or >20W. It’s probably a misconfigured commercial trunked system with an admin who thought, “this frequency seems free!” What could possibly go wrong?

ergbert

I occasionally hear what I believe is DMR simplex on some of the lower numbered FRS frequencies. Nothing continuous, so it's only mildly irritating, but then again we are just chatting and move to a different frequency with less (or no) traffic. Encountering such while scanning I could see being much more bothersome, especially if it's a strong signal.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Down in the Monterey Bay area, we hear a burst of static on 462.6125. A couple of people have heard it, and what little time I've had to snoop has shown it to be pretty wide spread. Weak signal, but propagates well up and down the coast/Salinas Valley.

Different frequency from yours, but would be interesting to know if the signal is the same. Pattern.

ergbert

Well, that's interesting. Do license by rule services like FRS/GMRS and business's frequencies often intersect?

nd5y

Well, that's interesting. Do license by rule services like FRS/GMRS and business's frequencies often intersect?
No. I would bet that the FRS frequencies on that license are a typo or mistake that the FCC didn't catch.

Grandfathered GMRS business licenses don't have callsigns that new, the radio service would not be Industrial/Business Pool, there would not be a mix of GMRS and IB frequencies, and the GMRS interstitial channels were not available back then.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Can you point me to this grandfathering action?

This all seems kinky. An intestitial pair being grandfathered? More likely an error by the coordinator that has been "rectified".

The FCC has been lax in protecting GMRS from encroachment by Part 90 users . The Part 90 coordinators have made a land grab of the first and last 12.5 KHz of the GMRS blocks with the FCC's help.

GMRS lacks any sort of representation with respect to spectrum matters. The PRSG is one guy, and from what I can tell it is inactive.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

ipfd320

Banned
It was G-Fathered in 2012--and expires 2022---its all there in blue and white what more is there to explain

Maybe being no more than 2/4 watts made an exception This is Under the Eligability on the License

90.35A1 - APPLICANT MANUFACTURES SURGICAL SUPPLIES. RADIOS WILL BE USED TO COORDINATE SECURITY, FACILITIES MANAGEMENT, & MANUFACTURING.

nd5y

It was G-Fathered in 2012--and expires 2022---its all there in blue and white what more is there to explain
The 2012 application you posted was for narrowbanding and administrative changes. It was never a GMRS license and has absolutely nothing to do with grandfathering.

Grandfathering means an original site-based GMRS license from before the 1980s rule change remains valid but can NEVER be modified in any way, only renewed. The same applies to Business licenses on the MURS frequencies from before MURS was created.

ipfd320

Banned
We Can Argue This All Day---Either Way the Frequency is Licensed as an IG and in the FRS/GMRS Area--I Highly Doubt this was a FCC Mistake After All These Years of Licensing

I Didnt want this to be a Debate--I was Just Posting what I Found in the FCC Database--So Enough with B*****in to Me Where and When i Found This all I was Doing was Trying to Help with a Search

Like I Said the Proof is There in Blue and White

as for the OP--Im Not Sure if its Even Possible he is Hearing what I Posted from Texas to Cali with Only 4 Watts of Juice But You Never Know--Maybe Some TX Listeners on Here can Give some Input and See if You Hear the Same as OP Stated

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nd5y
{Quote---The 2012 application you posted was for narrowbanding and administrative changes. It was never a GMRS license and has absolutely nothing to do with grandfathering.}

Well Its Kinda Funny if you Look Carefully the Gradfather Area is Printed as YES on the License---See Here

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=6818486

SO Why is this Station Grandfathered and Licensed in the FRS/GMRS by the FCC Then if Since You State its Not---Please Allaberate Your Findings Why Its Not

Last edited:

bharvey2

While scanning on the San Francisco Bay peninsula, I have been getting a digital squawk on FRS channel 8, 467.5625 MHz. Is there any shared use between this frequency and public safety, commercial DMR/P25, etc. that should be expected, or is this more likely an illegal squatting on the FRS band? I don’t really want to take FRS 8 out of my scan list, but this is really annoying.

I live and work in the Bay Area. I've heard digital activity on more than a few GMRS/FRS channels in the past. Some traffic was legit (FCC approved via temp licensing) From what I've read, the FCC allowed GPS and some data messaging apps over GMRS beginning last year. I'm not sure if it encompasses FRS as well. In some cases, I'm inclined to believe that DMR radios are being used on some of the GMRS/FRS frequencies, legal or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.