RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 2:28 PM

Default midland gxt1000vp4 - can't clear tones

I've been searching but can't seem to find any way to clear tones set on the lower channels. E.g., on channel 4 I was using dcs but after I turn off dcs and power cycle the radio, the tone is set once again. Could anyone steer me in the right direction? A factory reset option would be wonderful but as far as I can tell, these radios don't have that feature.
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2018, 10:07 PM

Default oh my goodness ...

- Solved -

What a 💩interface!

I'll try to be brief ... let's say you have this radio on Channel 1, CTCSS 1 (67Hz), Transmit Power LOW and you want to turn off CTCSS and set the power to HI and you perform the following:

Menu -> Menu -> (turn off CTCSS) -> Menu -> (cycle to HI power) -> PTT

Your radio is now on Channel 1, no PL tones, and power HI. But if you turn the radio off and back on, it will magically be Channel 1, CTCSS 1, power HI. The PL tone doesn't save.

SOLUTION: *Immediately* after you toggle the PL tone to "oF", you have to hit the PTT button to save that setting. It doesn't appear to work this way for any other setting on the radio.

I hope that makes sense to anyone else who might encounter this weird UI behavior.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:57 PM

The manual sort of makes that clear, but yeah the interface take some getting used to. I really have had no problems with the menu. The radios have been much better than the Motorola MR350R radios I bought first. One of those had very low volume, and the range was not as good as the Midlands in testing. I like the build quality over the Motorola MR350R as well. The MR350R felt rather cheap by comparison.

Despite having the TerraTR-505s, my wife and I still use the Midlands quite a lot. They are nice little radios for general use.