• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

WRAA720 Field Report: Four Peaks, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7MFC

WRAA720
This weekend I drove up to the Four Peaks in the Mazatzal Mountains, Arizona just outside the Phoenix metro area. At the saddle between the peaks at about 5700' I was able to hit the Arizona GMRS Repeater Club's PHX 550 repeater with my Btech GMRS-V1. The repeater site is 75 miles away atop the White Tank mountains at about 4000' on the opposite side of the Phoenix metro area:

H4HpOKm.png

etQdsXT.png

I was facing west with pretty much a direct line of sight of to the White Tanks. As soon as I turned on the radio I heard a club member loud and clear and gave him a quick hello. I received a good signal report back from him, and I also contacted another club member. Reception was a little bit spotty, but moving around along the western face of the Four Peaks from about 5000' and above allowed me to have decently clear RX and TX to the AGRC 550 repeater. I camp and do some off roading in this area, and I'm glad to know that I can have reliable GMRS radio contact once I get above the smaller hills.

At this elevation, just about the entire GMRS band was active. I was looking down around multiple camping and recreation areas at the base of the mountains, and heard the usual family chatter on quite a few channels.

Knoxradio

Just curious, stock antenna or upgraded? From the picture it looks stock, but wanted to ask.. That kind of distance is awesome though..

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As always, line of site is a major factor in communicating long distances on VHF/UHF.

notoriousbpg

I'm amazed it works that well. I have never seen anyone who runs narrowband on GMRS.

I’m looking at buying this radio - I thought that you could select narrowband vs wideband Tx for any given GMRS frequency? I’ve heard they come with narrowband by default on the 462 frequencies shared with FRS but that it could be set to wideband specifically for GMRS.

K7MFC

WRAA720
When operating on the GMRS band you are able to use narrow or wide band on any frequency. I used CHIRP to program the GMRS-V1, and I am able to set the bandwidth for each channel like this:

bTT9dnX.png

Status
Not open for further replies.